Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Old Jul 24, 22, 2:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
Its still a tinfoil hat theory to say that IB is canceling 1k tickets
Granted - I think the whole point is more about staying hidden vs making a fuss about the fare (whichever the fare actually is). IF (thats a big IF since we only have one report so far) some of the 1k fare are starting to be cancelled by the airline, its very likely it would be related, since as mentioned previously, IB does have a long history of 900 to 1k EUR business class fares, that do fly without any kind of trouble.
bimbonello likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Sure, but you could book the 1K fares on LATAM metal, right? So it’s also very possible that the price wasn’t working out for LATAM. In any case, there were so many bookings in this case, I really don’t think it made a difference for anyone else if someone contacted a lawyer or not.
Old Jul 24, 22, 10:43 am

Programs: M&M
Its still a tinfoil hat theory to say that IB is canceling 1k tickets because someone else is trying to fly 350 tickets.
It is not tinfoil:
- The fare was filed by IB, LATAM never had anything comparable.
- It was a full J fare and as such had pretty liberal rules regarding, among others, ticketing carrier (ie can be plated by any airline).
Code:
15.SALES RESTRICTIONS
   TICKETS MAY NOT BE ISSUED BY PTA. TICKETS MUST BE
   ISSUED BY ELECTRONIC TICKETING. EXTENSION OF TICKET
   VALIDITY IS NOT PERMITTED.
   TICKETS MAY NOT BE SOLD IN VENEZUELA/NIGERIA/ANGOLA/
   IRAN/LEBANON/ZIMBABWE/RUSSIA/E URAL RUSSIA.
   TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3.
- LATAM issued tickets used the IB fare, meaning after travel completion LATAM would've forwarded IB the cost for the base fares and that's all (since they themselves don't collect YQ).
- Seeing the volume of LA issued tickets IB went into full panic mode and asked LATAM to axe these tix since they were not going to take a ~2k hit per ticket issued by LATAM. LA complied, being the good friends to IB they are.
- IB apparently decided that taking a 1k hit on the tickets issued by them (with 700 YQ added) would be acceptable. Maybe the loss per ticket and/or the number of such tickets sold wasn't high enough to trigger action.
- Now LA suddenly finds themselves in the middle of a shitstorm with zillions of recursos and lawsuits aimed at them for something they had nothing to do with.
- Since the fare was filed by IB they definitely had to get involved and if you read the email they sent their legal argument is there: an honest fatfinger mistake, one digit missing, happened to everyone, m'kay?
- Now the question suddenly becomes that if they think the base fare was low why didn't they cancel some tickets, since the base fares are equal.
- And finally you have IB cancelling all tickets using the same base fare.
palmanfr, patvd, offvoice and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 10:58 am

Question here:
has anyone actually flown this ticket?
Mine still shows on gotogate all sectors however on IB website it only shows my outbound flight (My flight is in october)
ia it safw to assume that it wont get canclled?
many thanks
Old Jul 24, 22, 11:03 am

No notification, no cancellation, no refund. Ive got two emails in my inbox, the purchase one from GotoGate and second dated 10 days ago from LATAM Confirmao de compra for $0.

Maybe this was the cancellation notification and thats when the clock started ticking for the small claims action?
Old Jul 24, 22, 1:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Someone posted in the WA group that their booking (com) received many notifications in the last few weeks about flight/time changes but never a cancellation. Then today they finally got a cancellation email. They called the OTA and the agent said that they could get a refund or rebooking. The person took the rebooking, in full J, now on direct flights (instead of the intra south america stop). Nice life, if it sticks, which it may well

Originally Posted by Palty View Post
has anyone actually flown this ticket?
Many. Some ITT and several in the WA group

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Maybe this was the cancellation notification and thats when the clock started ticking for the small claims action?
Not a lawyer, unsure. But a lot of edges cases will be a mess
Old Jul 24, 22, 1:38 pm

Thanks,
Yes i've had 1 flight tome change but this is going back a while now, but thats about it
thanks for the update
Old Jul 24, 22, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Its still a tinfoil hat theory to say that IB is canceling 1k tickets because someone else is trying to fly 350 tickets.
Its not uncommon for such tickets to be canceled a couple weeks after booking. Its not like they suddenly canceled them months later.
Sure, its possible that it has something to do with the LATAM tickets, but its also possible that the managers with a say in this were on vacation and their legal department figured it doesnt matter if they cancel after a week or a month.
The one thing that's giving me pause about the IB ticket is that they're claiming they forgot a 0. So it should have been a 10'000 Euro ticket? Is anyone really taking that argument seriously? 1k would've been a perfectly reasonable price for the ticket on sale. 10k is much more unreasonable.
Old Jul 24, 22, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by FrankTalk View Post
It is not tinfoil:
- The fare was filed by IB, LATAM never had anything comparable.
I've heard this before, I was actually wondering why no one else had mentioned this here earlier.

- LATAM issued tickets used the IB fare, meaning after travel completion LATAM would've forwarded IB the cost for the base fares and that's all (since they themselves don't collect YQ).
So why isn't this usually an issue? Because tickets for IB fares usually can't be issued by LATAM? Was that the error?

- Seeing the volume of LA issued tickets IB went into full panic mode and asked LATAM to axe these tix since they were not going to take a ~2k hit per ticket issued by LATAM. LA complied, being the good friends to IB they are.
Where is the 2k difference coming from? The YQ certainly wasn't 2k?

- IB apparently decided that taking a 1k hit on the tickets issued by them (with 700 YQ added) would be acceptable. Maybe the loss per ticket and/or the number of such tickets sold wasn't high enough to trigger action.
So the basefare was intended to be 3k + 700 YQ? And the error was that someone typed 300 for the basefare instead of 300, and on top of that LATAM didn't charge YQ?
In any case the difference was 700, not 1k....? I'm not following here.

- Now LA suddenly finds themselves in the middle of a shitstorm with zillions of recursos and lawsuits aimed at them for something they had nothing to do with.
I guess that is a general risk with such a setup. Who forced them to sell tickets for other airlines, where they don't have control over the fares, but can still be held liable?

- Since the fare was filed by IB they definitely had to get involved and if you read the email they sent their legal argument is there: an honest fatfinger mistake, one digit missing, happened to everyone, m'kay?
- Now the question suddenly becomes that if they think the base fare was low why didn't they cancel some tickets, since the base fares are equal.
- And finally you have IB cancelling all tickets using the same base fare.
I'm not following your logic here. How is the base fare relevant? They could just have said: "It was a mistake that we allowed LATAM to issue these tickets for such a low price (without YQ). Everyone who booked the 1000 tickets on our website, enjoy your flash sale."
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
The one thing that's giving me pause about the IB ticket is that they're claiming they forgot a 0. So it should have been a 10'000 Euro ticket? Is anyone really taking that argument seriously? 1k would've been a perfectly reasonable price for the ticket on sale. 10k is much more unreasonable.
Actually yes. For a fully refundable J fare, yes.
When I check historical fares: JDN0YNS0 on June 15 was EUR10716. JDN0YNS0 on June 16 was EUR278. After that JDN0YNS0 was pulled until June 21, but from then until today it has been EUR10994.

Does that mean a consumer should know that when they are booking the cheapest business shown? No.
It's a plausible excuse for why it happened, but that's IB's problem. It's not the passenger's responsibility to read the fare rules and realize that these rules are not rules that are offered as part of a typical Iberia business class sale... that's nonsense. This isn't like a bank error where an account holder can of course be expected to know that extra money that appears from nowhere is a mistake. It's the airline's responsibility to have the appropriate checks in place, automated or not, before they publicly publish a sale.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Quail View Post
When I check historical fares: JDN0YNS0 on June 15 was EUR10716. JDN0YNS0 on June 16 was EUR278. After that JDN0YNS0 was pulled until June 21, but from then until today it has been EUR10994.

Does that mean a consumer should know that when they are booking the cheapest business shown? No.
It's a plausible excuse for why it happened, but that's IB's problem. It's not the passenger's responsibility to read the fare rules and realize that these rules are not rules that are offered as part of a typical Iberia business class sale... that's nonsense. This isn't like a bank error where an account holder can of course be expected to know that extra money that appears from nowhere is a mistake. It's the airline's responsibility to have the appropriate checks in place, automated or not, before they publicly publish a sale.
Woah I just realized, 10994-10716=278. That sure looks like they were trying to increase the price by 278 and set it to 278 instead.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
The one thing that's giving me pause about the IB ticket is that they're claiming they forgot a 0.
If you refer to FrankTalk, then please have in mind that "one digit missing" not necessarily means "0 missing"
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:23 pm

Exact times where JDN0YNS0 was EUR278 for anyone interested: from June 15, 07:03 US Eastern Time to June 16, 04:01 US Eastern Time (at least in the system I am looking at for the ATPCO info, I'm not 100% sure that the exact timestamps are universal)
palmanfr likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 3:48 pm

According to EU law, YES, the consumer should/could know that 1000 for a fully flexible return J ticket from Europe to South America could be an error, it gives the seller the right to cancel the sale. The only thing the seller needs to do is correct the price as soon as they realise the error.
Old Jul 24, 22, 4:55 pm

Programs: Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Diamond
Had another change on the ticket and today (shockingly) autoproteccion worked (albeit only for that one segment)! Previously it would say to go back to OTA at the final step.

Ticket/Itinerary is still a mess, including a second segment now being before the first one - it'll be interesting to see if it updates to something that resembles the original one or not...

Search this Thread