Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
our travel date is imminent Monday 6/20 out of MAD.

Strange thing is ticket on iberia now shows only the IB segments, so it looks like an open jaw mad-eze, scl-mad. Latam website, which I had selected seats on earlier, now says an error occurred there is no itinerary

Can either airline legally strand us? We need to board separate positioning flight from North America to MAD tomorrow.

BTW, I also just got an enail from mytrip (ota) that our travel is right around the corner. it lists mad-eze-scl and scl-mad with both IB and LA PNRs.

​​​​​
our_kid and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK AAR
The issuing carrier is not going to refund directly to you if you booked via an OTA like Booking/GoToGate/MyTrip etc. Payment is processed through the OTA and you will get the refund from OTA, not the issuing carrier. Requesting to get a refund directly from the airline to avoid the refund fee of OTA is not going to fly; the airline will refuse and refer you to contact the OTA.

The airline will refund the full amount to OTA and the OTA will make a refund to customer less any appl. refund fees. I don't see how you can avoid that.
Yes, OTA's T&C mention airline cancellation, but what happens if airline voids the tickets due to technical/human/whatever error? I'd argue in that scenario OTA's refund fees don't apply. What's most likely, OTA's will keep our money hostage, so it will have to go down the chargeback route anyway, so OTA will have little to say in how much money they refund.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Entertainment in the thread continues. Funny to read. 1k payers believe that they will be ok but 300 payers won't be. Must be based on triple price difference. Today my ticket was updated, IB and LA booking codes and ticket number were added. Just data point, I do not care about it. My ticket will be cancelled or not when LA and IB legal departments give the answer about possible consequence according to Brazilian consumer protection law as outbound ends in GRU through SCL without stopover and inbound starts from GRU months away. Time is ticking against LA because there is a cancellation timeframe and ticket is on 045 stock. IB got recently sufficient penalty and was forced reinstate all 4000 cancelled tickets from Rio to Paris they cancelled after 72 hours from purchase and that was promotion fare. The price was around USD118 in economy class, IB claimed that the actual price is USD1180 :-)
Keter and hugolover like this.

Last edited by Jaenks; Jun 18, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
Can either airline legally strand us? We need to board separate positioning flight from North America to MAD tomorrow.
​​​​​
I would say you have a strong protection in the form of EC261. Definitely covered on the outbound, on the inbound only if it's by IB.... Enforcing or dealing with them is a different story, but I don't think they have any legal ground.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:41 pm

Booked for next feb, MAD-GRU-SCL and SCL-LIM-MAD. The IB coded segments MAD-GRU and LIM-MAD are still present when checked on IB/BA/AY, and to be entirely honest my destinations were Brazil and Peru anyway so if this ends up sticking I'd be more than happy.

But we all know that's very unlikely
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
They didn’t…
They didn't but they are totally capable of
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Entertainment in the thread continues. Funny to read. 1k payers believe that they will be ok but 300 payers won't be. Must be based on triple price difference. Today my ticket was updated, IB and LA booking codes and ticket number were added. Just data point, I do not care about it. My ticket will be cancelled or not when LA and IB legal departments give the answer about possible consequence according to Brazilian consumer protection law as outbound ends in GRU through SCL without stopover and inbound starts from GRU months away. Time is ticking against LA because there is a cancellation timeframe and ticket is on 045 stock. IB got recently sufficient penalty and was forced reinstate all 4000 cancelled tickets from Brazil to Paris. The price was around 240€ in Y.
Can you provide more info on the Brazilian consumer protection law?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by danger
Search from net: Código de Defesa do Consumidor
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Can you provide more detail on the 7-day refund rule?
Sure, it's the article 8 (a) of the EC261/2004 regulation:
- reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,
So the moment airline/OTA notifies us of the cancellation, we can request a refund and expect it within 7 days - I usually wait 2-3 weeks, and then, if don't hear from the airline/OTA, I file for the cashback. So far worked every single time - Amex usually wants a proof the ticket was cancelled - so email from the airline/OTA should be enough.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Search from net: Código de Defesa do Consumidor
For interested parties:

http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03...8compilado.htm
Keter likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Here you go!

http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03...8compilado.htm
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:21 pm

Is there a way to check itineraries on the LA site without entering an e-mail address?
Just being paranoid, but I figure the less info I give the better.

Saw this flash across the IB home page.
Any chance it will hold up in court?

dvs7310 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by tracon
Is there a way to check itineraries on the LA site without entering an e-mail address?
Just being paranoid, but I figure the less info I give the better.

Saw this flash across the IB home page.
Any chance it will hold up in court?
When I sued BA (and won) over the DUS-KUL F fare in 2015, I presented similar in court and I think it helped.

sinus and delpiero223 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
When I sued BA (and won) over the DUS-KUL F fare in 2015, I presented similar in court and I think it helped.

"Die Welt ist im Sale" makes the German AND English speaker in me cringe. What a massacre.
Keter likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:23 am

Price comparison for those who have bought 1k ticket and have been cancelled, there is actual LH/LX sale from Spain, Madrid included to South America starting at 1210€ with no direct flights to SCL. South America legs to SCL are with LA, G3 or CM. https://www.lufthansa.com/es/es/vuelos
dvs7310 and patvd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.