Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Old Jun 18, 22, 8:15 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, TK Silver, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Gold, A-Club Silver, Hertz PC
Very puzzled by what i am seeing. As I wrote before, I booked my gf and my trip with two different reservations. Routing is like this for September 2022 : MAD-GRU (IB marketed + operated), GRU-SCL (LA marketed + operated), SCL-MAD (IB marketed + operated), both tickets are 045 tickets.
Yesterday, my booking got the LA leg GRU-SCL deleted. Booking now shows as a multi-stop trip. I obviously cannot do the check-in yet as the flight is in more than 24 hours.
However; my girlfriend's booking got the MAD-GRU and GRU-SCL segments deleted yesterday and now shows only a one way SCL-MAD. More interestingly, I can check her in for the flight in September 2022 using the IB website ! (I actually did that and have a boarding pass for SCL-MAD in September with the proper business class seat selected !)
If that sticks (and that's a big IF...), I will be happy to book separately for me a one way GRU-SCL. But booking for my gf a one way MAD-SCL is a different story, let alone in business class !
Anybody else being able to check-in for any flight departing in more than 24 hours ?
interestingly, Finnair website shows both bookings as multi-stop and one way respectively, with eticket numbers unchanged. However, when I request the eticket receipt, both tickets show all original segments...
Very confused here...

(Edit) : Both reservations don't show up anymore on LATAM now. Shows the LATAM "order number" but says that the itinerary cannot be displayed.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by palmanfr; Jun 18, 22 at 8:26 am
Old Jun 18, 22, 8:40 am

I'd recommend people to stop wasting their time checking the reservations, changing seats and trying to check-in. It's clear they're going through the cancellations right now, so weird stuff on the bookings is expected. If your flight is not within the next few days, I'd just leave it as it is and check back in a week.

For reference, there's nothing you can do to make it more likely to stick, not even selecting the seats.
Old Jun 18, 22, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pilot37 View Post
Booked mine through LastMinute and it was cancelled last night (at the same time my CC charge was processed!), was always a big gamble so not that bothered - although am guessing I’ll have a bit of a fight with LM to get my CC refunded now!

Pilot37
Give them a month, if refund is not processed, file for a chargeback. Last time I dealt with them, they took 9 months to respond to my refund request only to tell me "but sir, you've got charge back for that" - yeah, I did, because you ignored my request for 9 months!
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten View Post
For folks booked through an OTA that charges a fee for a refund: as per EU 261/2004 and recent ruling by European Court of Justice, you may request a full refund from the airline. And the airline cannot charge you for that. Good luck!
Firstly, I'd like to get a notification that my ticket was cancelled, so I can request a refund within 7 days (as per EC261/2004 regulation) and apply for chargeback, if they don't refund me within 2-3 weeks max (can't apply for chargeback without any proof of cancellation).

When I check my tickets, for now they all look like they're confirmed in OTA's system, earlier today I was able to select seats through LATAM on both of my reservations. Iberia doesn't work, but their brilliant IT is known for that. Both BA and RJ display my ticket as fully confirmed, with an e-ticket attached to it.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
For folks booked through an OTA that charges a fee for a refund: as per EU 261/2004 and recent ruling by European Court of Justice, you may request a full refund from the airline. And the airline cannot charge you for that. Good luck!
Well, yes. And the airline most likely will be giving a full refund.

The problem is that the travel agent is charging a processing fee to pass the refunded amount onwards to you… those situations are less clear cut since the airline will be able to demonstrate that they provided a full refund to the travel agent. And dealing with the likes of GoToGate is… frustrating, to say the least.
Old Jun 18, 22, 9:32 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post

The problem is that the travel agent is charging a processing fee to pass the refunded amount onwards to you… those situations are less clear cut since the airline will be able to demonstrate that they provided a full refund to the travel agent. And dealing with the likes of GoToGate is… frustrating, to say the least.
Yes, this is likely correct. Those who booked via priceline, you can see that the card charge is from LATAM. Those who booked via booking (and possibly other garbage OTAs), it displays the charge as from booking.com. So, they are likely intermediaries holding your money hostage.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 9:41 am

I think the refund fees apply if you request a refund post airline's cancellation. What airline is likely to do in this scenario is to void the tickets - as if they didn't exist, so refund should be automatic and not subject to any refund/redeposit fees.
If airline started cancelling tickets (not voiding them), then EC261/2004 suddenly kicks in (regardless of a cost of the ticket!) and Iberia/LATAM will be on the hook for them.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
I think the refund fees apply if you request a refund post airline's cancellation. What airline is likely to do in this scenario is to void the tickets - as if they didn't exist, so refund should be automatic and not subject to any refund/redeposit fees.
If airline started cancelling tickets (not voiding them), then EC261/2004 suddenly kicks in (regardless of a cost of the ticket!) and Iberia/LATAM will be on the hook for them.
if you read the T&Cs, the refund fee when it’s a passenger requested cancellation is much higher. But there is still an administration fee charged for airline cancelled tickets. This is one of the (many) ways the likes of GoToGate (and all of their other brands) makes money. They also don’t care if you have a horrible time with them and vow to never use them again… because they’ll just launch another brand and continue trading under the other N number of other brands they already have and customers don’t even know are part of the umbrella company. L

when things work, GoToGate and co are often the cheapest option out there. When things don’t work, you’ll pay dearly (in terms of stress / frustration and administration fees for the stress and frustration).
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:59 am

Programs: TK Elite
The issuing carrier is not going to refund directly to you if you booked via an OTA like Booking/GoToGate/MyTrip etc. Payment is processed through the OTA and you will get the refund from OTA, not the issuing carrier. Requesting to get a refund directly from the airline to avoid the refund fee of OTA is not going to fly; the airline will refuse and refer you to contact the OTA.

The airline will refund the full amount to OTA and the OTA will make a refund to customer less any appl. refund fees. I don't see how you can avoid that.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:08 am

Programs: TK Elite

This is spot on.
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:11 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
The issuing carrier is not going to refund directly to you if you booked via an OTA like Booking/GoToGate/MyTrip etc. Payment is processed through the OTA and you will get the refund from OTA, not the issuing carrier. Requesting to get a refund directly from the airline to avoid the refund fee of OTA is not going to fly; the airline will refuse and refer you to contact the OTA.

The airline will refund the full amount to OTA and the OTA will make a refund to customer less any appl. refund fees. I don't see how you can avoid that.
Yes, this is likely the problem. The airline won't even take your call, they will send you back to the OTA. Not that I would be particularly excited to call LATAM anyway....
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:11 am

My LATAM segment is now canceled but the Iberia flights are still showing on Iberia's website. Looks like they got to me too.

If GoToGate tries to refund me anything but the full amount, I'll do a CC charge back. I'm not paying them any administrative fees if my flight is cancelled. If they want to get that fee; go after LATAM. Full stop.
palmanfr likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer View Post
My LATAM segment is now canceled but the Iberia flights are still showing on Iberia's website. Looks like they got to me too.

If GoToGate tries to refund me anything but the full amount, I'll do a CC charge back. I'm not paying them any administrative fees if my flight is cancelled. If they want to get that fee; go after LATAM. Full stop.
You’ve effectively already paid them in booking the ticket via GoToGaye. They have you money and simply won’t refund the full amount.
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:20 am

Mine 075 tickets were booked directly on IB site, 1k price non stop both ways, still alive on IB.
I guess these are "safe" more or less?
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer View Post

Full Stop, maybe yourself after trying to deal with them! What is the administrator fee, $30 or so! I think they’ll send some information back to the credit card company with the terms and conditions and your toast

Search this Thread