Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone] KE: US-DPS Fully Refundable First Class, 2700USD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone] KE: US-DPS Fully Refundable First Class, 2700USD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Just to follow up, never recieved my confirmation email so figured I'd call again. Agent mentioned she sees the ticket was reissued and sent me the confirmation.

Interestingly enough, the ticket was back on Deltas website but my outbound was booked info Prestige (Z) in both legs. My return remained J and F.

Agent agreed we should be in first on the first flight, but couldn't make changes herself and supervisors were gone. I guess we'll see what the morning brings. :/
​​​​​
I'm reinstated again as well. After finally getting to fly my $450 AF LP fare a few months ago, I'm both hopeful I'll get to fly this but fully aware it will likely be another long fight.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I'm reinstated again as well. After finally getting to fly my $450 AF LP fare a few months ago, I'm both hopeful I'll get to fly this but fully aware it will likely be another long fight.
I don't think the ticket reinstated with stick and it will get cancelled again. (That's what happen to me)
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
I don't think the ticket reinstated with stick and it will get cancelled again. (That's what happen to me)
Yup same with me. Woke up and it dissapeared again from Deltas website. Still shows active in the Amex travel page.

Will call Amex in a bit but not holding my breath ill be flying this in the end
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ezak
I was in Bali earlier this year, and this's definitely a doable way to get there.

Two things to note though:

1. Flights from CGK to DPS are somewhat unreliable (i.e. regularly delayed), so on your way back, I'd plan a short stay in CGK (2-3 days) instead of connecting to JL the same day. I did that and almost missed my JL flight. It was a lot of stress. If you have no interest staying in CGK, I'd say this extra connection is more trouble than it's worth.

2. Beware that Bali will likely be VERY popular later this year, like extremely expensive hotels and super crowded sights. Asia is opening up and remember how people couldn't even find a rental car in Hawaii last year? Bali to lots of Asian tourists is like what Hawaii is to US tourists.
More like Mexico/Caribbean than Hawaii... You can fly Garuda CGK-DPS, it is more expensive but more reliable and better quality.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ezak
I was in Bali earlier this year, and this's definitely a doable way to get there.

Two things to note though:

1. Flights from CGK to DPS are somewhat unreliable (i.e. regularly delayed), so on your way back, I'd plan a short stay in CGK (2-3 days) instead of connecting to JL the same day. I did that and almost missed my JL flight. It was a lot of stress. If you have no interest staying in CGK, I'd say this extra connection is more trouble than it's worth.

2. Beware that Bali will likely be VERY popular later this year, like extremely expensive hotels and super crowded sights. Asia is opening up and remember how people couldn't even find a rental car in Hawaii last year? Bali to lots of Asian tourists is like what Hawaii is to US tourists.
1. Thanks for the info. The JL flight from NRT to CGK arrives at 11:55pm so I'm planning to stay a night at the airport hotel and then take the first flight out to DPS in the morning on AirAsia. Coming back we will stay 1 night at the airport hotel since the JL flight from CGK to NRT departs at 6:35am.
2. I'm hoping early December will not be too busy since it's the wet season.
CanadianGnome likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:15 am

My itinerary disappeared in the Delta App so I'm assuming it was cancelled, but no email from Delta or Amex (booked via Amex IAP) - no apology for the fare pricing mistake, nothing at all proactive. While I may not initially file a DOT report, Delta's complaint email address (and possibly the executive address) is going to get a sternly worded email about the lack of customer service and professionalism in dealing with this matter - and will probably mention how I've contemplated making a DOT complaint. For reference, I'm a Delta Diamond and Million Miler (nearly 2 million miles), so I'm not just a random passenger who saw a deal on a blog post. I was planning a trip to SE Asia this year (regularly did visits every 1-2 years after Christmas pre-covid), why not fly in more comfort at a good fare into Bali as an entry point. I'll probably find another airline to fly on at this point.

This was a $2300/$2700 ticket. At the very least they could have provided some reasonable alternatives as others have mentioned.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:32 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by night718
Does it make sense to sign up for the Amex Platinum card with 150k points offer to get discounted business class seats on JAL from JFK to CGK, stay at the airport hotel then fly to DPS in the morning?

Having a bit of Bali fever and really want to go still. Someone please talk me into or out of it.
Pulled a random search up on AMEX for you. This is the IAP price I found. $500+ savings per ticket.

night718 likes this.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jun 14, 2022 at 10:39 am
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dave456
...While I may not initially file a DOT report, ...
Why not? These reports are free to make and can apply a lot of heat.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Pulled a random search up on AMEX for you. This is the IAP price I found. $500+ savings per ticket.

Thanks! I signed up for the card and bought 2 tickets for a total of $4090. With enough spend, I'm hoping to redeem for 2 round trip business class tickets to Japan next year at a cost of $1400 for the annual fees.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why not? These reports are free to make and can apply a lot of heat.
Do you think DL keeps a list of pax who complain too much? I just don't want to be blacklisted...
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dave456
My itinerary disappeared in the Delta App so I'm assuming it was cancelled, but no email from Delta or Amex (booked via Amex IAP) - no apology for the fare pricing mistake, nothing at all proactive. While I may not initially file a DOT report, Delta's complaint email address (and possibly the executive address) is going to get a sternly worded email about the lack of customer service and professionalism in dealing with this matter - and will probably mention how I've contemplated making a DOT complaint. For reference, I'm a Delta Diamond and Million Miler (nearly 2 million miles), so I'm not just a random passenger who saw a deal on a blog post. I was planning a trip to SE Asia this year (regularly did visits every 1-2 years after Christmas pre-covid), why not fly in more comfort at a good fare into Bali as an entry point. I'll probably find another airline to fly on at this point.

This was a $2300/$2700 ticket. At the very least they could have provided some reasonable alternatives as others have mentioned.
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Do you think DL keeps a list of pax who complain too much? I just don't want to be blacklisted...
Of course they track complaints. But they're also a common carrier, so retaliating against someone for complaining would get them in even hotter water. If you paid them $2,700 for a ticket and they voided it, that's a valid complaint. They are likely expecting a number of complaints off of this and it's part of their risk calculation.

Personally, I think anyone impacted should complain to DOT. The real problem here is not so much DL, rather the DOT allowing carriers to claim "mistake" on anything and get out of it with a refund and expense reimbursement. If they can void $2,700 tickets without penalty, that's not a precedent anyone wants set. And as you point out, there's no other compromise options on the table.

While it would be nice to get DL to reinstate this, the ultimate goal should be to challenge the the mistake threshold and easy out for the airline, as this fare is not clearly "substantially lower" than normal given normal airline pricing spreads.

I bought OAK-ATL RT in Main on DL last week for $212 base fare on a sale. There's literally a Y fare published in that market for $13,842, about 65 times what I paid. If they want to maintain pricing like that as "normal", there needs to be some higher bar to define "mistake" or at a minimum, some penalty regardless. $2,700 is not chump change and is 1/13th of the top F fare in this market, which is arguably not a low fare based on fares in other markets.

Ideally, there would be some financial penalty to the airline for claiming a mistake. Say, refund + 50% if they cancel within 24 hours; refund + 100% if they cancel within 3 days; refund + 200% if they cancel after 3 days. That way an obscenely low mistake canceled quickly wouldn't cost them much. But something like this would cost them serious cash.
GUWonder and dburns like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:06 pm

1. Thanks for the info. The JL flight from NRT to CGK arrives at 11:55pm so I'm planning to stay a night at the airport hotel and then take the first flight out to DPS in the morning on AirAsia. Coming back we will stay 1 night at the airport hotel since the JL flight from CGK to NRT departs at 6:35am.
2. I'm hoping early December will not be too busy since it's the wet season.
Morning flight to DPS is a good idea, and probably vice versa as well. For some reason, seems like for intra-Indonesia flights, airline's scheduling is overly aggressive and doesn't budget enough time for taxing, runway queues, etc.. So every flight gets delayed by 15-30 minutes, and when you get into the afternoon, it snowballs into a 3-hour delay. Morning departures are generally more punctual.

And like another poster above mentioned, choose Garuda if the price isn't too much higher. They're more reliable than AirAsia and other LLCs. In fact, my AirAsia flight from DPS was cancelled and I'm still waiting for the refund.
night718 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by channa
Of course they track complaints. But they're also a common carrier, so retaliating against someone for complaining would get them in even hotter water. If you paid them $2,700 for a ticket and they voided it, that's a valid complaint. They are likely expecting a number of complaints off of this and it's part of their risk calculation.

Personally, I think anyone impacted should complain to DOT. The real problem here is not so much DL, rather the DOT allowing carriers to claim "mistake" on anything and get out of it with a refund and expense reimbursement. If they can void $2,700 tickets without penalty, that's not a precedent anyone wants set. And as you point out, there's no other compromise options on the table.

While it would be nice to get DL to reinstate this, the ultimate goal should be to challenge the the mistake threshold and easy out for the airline, as this fare is not clearly "substantially lower" than normal given normal airline pricing spreads.

I bought OAK-ATL RT in Main on DL last week for $212 base fare on a sale. There's literally a Y fare published in that market for $13,842, about 65 times what I paid. If they want to maintain pricing like that as "normal", there needs to be some higher bar to define "mistake" or at a minimum, some penalty regardless. $2,700 is not chump change and is 1/13th of the top F fare in this market, which is arguably not a low fare based on fares in other markets.

Ideally, there would be some financial penalty to the airline for claiming a mistake. Say, refund + 50% if they cancel within 24 hours; refund + 100% if they cancel within 3 days; refund + 200% if they cancel after 3 days. That way an obscenely low mistake canceled quickly wouldn't cost them much. But something like this would cost them serious cash.
Or even just the same rules as passenger - cancel and refund if mistake within 24hrs, afterwards no refunds.

If an airline can cancel a ticket days after because of a "mistake", why can't passengers say the same? "Oh I thought this ticket I bought a week ago was 400 dollars, not 4000! My bad, give me a full refund now."
channa, dburns, ezefllying and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:17 pm

Thanks! I signed up for the card and bought 2 tickets for a total of $4090. With enough spend, I'm hoping to redeem for 2 round trip business class tickets to Japan next year at a cost of $1400 for the annual fees.
what date ranges are you guys searching to get the ~$2000 range IAP tickets?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Because they are two completely different scenarios.

$212 one and $13842 are two different fare basis with heavily different rules in the beginning. You don't get $212 base fare for a $13842 full fare Y basis.

There are only two fare basis for JFK-DPS from DL. One is FRT, a full-fare F round trip, and the other is FOW, a full-fare one way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.