Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone] KE: US-DPS Fully Refundable First Class, 2700USD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone] KE: US-DPS Fully Refundable First Class, 2700USD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Anyone who booked with AMEX IAP get cancelled yet?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I know this keeps getting said, but imagine if Best Buy was selling a TV for 80% off on Black Friday and then the next day sent an e-mail saying "oh no sorry this one wasn't supposed to be on sale, everyone please return their TV's". This wouldn't fly outside of the airline industry, somehow. So yes, I think everyone that booked this fare should file a DOT complaint, even if it goes nowhere.
Best Buy does this all the time--they unintentionally publish an incorrect price on the website, then they cancel the orders before the products ship. I've personally had 2 or 3 orders canceled because of pricing mistakes.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
If Delta sells a first class ticket for 4'000 dollars for 24 hours, then says "oh no it was actually 40'000 dollars" doesn't make it any more legitimate of an excuse though. 2700USD from NYC or >3000USD from other US cities isn't close to, say. the 700 USD Cathay First fare (which was also honoured). 2700 USD isn't nothing, and the fare was up and available for >24 hours.
Cathay chose to honor it. Nothing proves it's mistake or not. Should really stress DL for evidence of mistake though.
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I've heard of pretty obvious "mistake" fares. Things where the fare itself was missing, or all the taxes were missing, and there was no hint of a promotion, and you could only book through the U.S. airline's Norwegian site and whatnot.

This was a four-figure base fare with taxes and fare rules, on the marketing airline's own ticket stock, fore sale on the marketing airline's website for, it sounds like, well over a day.

In short, I'm not sure why Delta can so confidently declare this a mistake and unilaterally rescind it. I don't think this is an obvious, grossly unreasonable fare. Especially in a volatile travel environment from an airline that has no qualms about offering vastly dynamic pricing. It was left up for over a day, even as it was widely reported. There were no gimmicks necessary to book it. It was a published fare with corresponding fare rules.
My last visit to Bali was in April 2019, a NYC - ICN - DPS Business Class (C) roundtrip on KE (purchased June, 2018, KE ticket numbers), with free enroute stopovers in Korea, roundtrip business class fare for USD $1,888 (Base fare $1594 plus $294 taxes) per person. The first and last legs of that trip were on Delta metal (KE flight numbers), and from that experience, I honestly thought that the SkyTeam relationship between Delta and Korean was so tight that this offer (for >50% more money, despite no bookable enroute stopovers) was not an obvious error fare, and therefore would be honored. I think that by brute-force cancelling without offering a reasonable alternative fare, Delta has missed an opportunity here.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
Anyone who booked with AMEX IAP get cancelled yet?
No cancellation email yet but the trip disappeared from my Delta account page and could not pull up using the confirmation number
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I think that by brute-force cancelling without offering a reasonable alternative fare, Delta has missed an opportunity here.
They likely didn't want to deal with the drama, aggravation and logistics of it, plus there were likely many bookings, and they believe that they can sell these higher in J...And probably KE was not interested...
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion; Alaska MVP; British Airways Exec Ruby
Booked via IAP and no cancellation email from Delta yet. Trip was removed from my Delta app, but still showing on IAP.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Sykes
The "why" is that the DOT allows them to do it. Although the DOT's revised policy largely came to be because of what they considered to be "bad faith" purchases of error fares that were obviously mistakes, the policy they ended up publishing has no requirement that a mistake be obvious--if pressed Delta just has to convince someone in the DOT's Enforcement Office that the fare was published as a genuine mistake rather than it being a case of seller's remorse, and based on available data it should be trivial for Delta to produce a paper trail that demonstrates it was a mistake.
The DOT requires them to honor all fares. But the DOT also has a policy exercising enforcement discretion to not enforce that law. The nuance is important.

The only way DOT knows this is a problem is if people complain. Anyone with a canceled ticket should complain and request they revisit their policy, as it seems it was not clear this was a mistaken fare and the published policy encourages airlines to act in bad faith.

Delta routinely sells tickets for several times the lowest fare. In the JFK-LAX RT market, for example business is as low as $1,368 and as high as $20,000 (nearly 15x the lowest fare). This is actually a narrower spread than the so-called Bali mistake fare: $30,356 is DL's highest F fare JFK-DPS RT, only 13x the $2,335 so-called "mistake". Just because Delta sold more tickets than they anticipated on this weekend Bali sale, the DOT should not have a policy that allows DL to avoid their commitments.

Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:57 pm

Same here. What a bummer. Definitely gonna make a complaint to DOT.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Delta routinely sells tickets for several times the lowest fare. In the JFK-LAX RT market, for example business is as low as $1,368 and as high as $20,000 (nearly 15x the lowest fare).
Ever seen DL selling fare basis J0D at $1368?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Does anyone have a link to the correct DOT Complaint?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
Does anyone have a link to the correct DOT Complaint?
https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm

I think it's this one?

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint

The button to file complaint looks like a photo though.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Been a while since we had one like this, so welcome to the newbies.
4thState, Fes426, _fx and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by skunker
Been a while since we had one like this, so welcome to the newbies.
Some of us will never learn/accept/give up hope! The less people fight, the more cancelling tickets sold on sale will become normalized. And the lines between "mistake" and "sale" are ever so blurry while the DOT does nothing to clarify.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:05 pm

So those who booked via Amex IAP are going to get rebooked at no cost on AF LP via CDG right? 😂
Maestro Ramen and Deckter like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.