Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone]: Saudia: AMS-DXB £353 in Business Return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone]: Saudia: AMS-DXB £353 in Business Return

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Come on!

UK to AMS using Avios or any other Frequent Flyer currency isn't exactly difficult.
If LHR is your home airport then maybe a direct Avios flight otherwise you’ll have to connect in LHR extending the length of the journey quite significantly. Plus not everyone will have miles in an airline FF programme who fly direct from their local airport to AMS. Same goes for other countries and other airline FF programmes.
Old May 18, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Typs
Where should I go to look for it?(app or platform)
Deal is gone, sadly.
Old May 18, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Booking refundable accommodation at a reasonable price is the easy part.

Booking a refundable positioning flight at a reasonable price isn’t.

Words of wisdom

Though I suppose some potential pain can be removed by using miles to book the positioning flights.

It's worth doing the maths, adding on all the extras $$, time, risks (missed connection and, errrr, special risk in this case) required to access "bargain fares". This fare would take some hammering to make it unattractive in terms of ancillary costs - though those special risks are pretty hefty.
Old May 18, 2022, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
Deal is gone, sadly.

Ok
Old May 18, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
A word of caution to those booking Saudia. I have read many horror stories about the airline, its staff, baggage losses and the reliability of SV flight schedules.
Sometimes, it pays to spend some more money to reduce risk.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:37 am

Ended up cancelling as I had booked fare for first part of a journey to Maldives. The economy flights I then needed to fly from Dubai to Male were £2000 for both of us for a 4 hour economy return flight plus we needed repositioning flights to get from Northern Ireland to Amsterdam and hotels etc. Discovered for an extra £600 I could book Turkish Airlines for our whole journey from Dublin to Maldives, all segments in business class on one ticket with good connection times. I rather pay an extra £600 for peace of mind. Saudi Airlines cancellation fee was 95 euro and will take 45 days for refund. Had a few refund hoops to jump through. For some reason my contact details had defaulted to my landline number despite me providing mobile number. If you try to refund online with Saudi you need to receive a verification code which I couldn't. I had to email on direction of Customer Services Representative a screenshot proving I had attempted to get a verification code plus copies of both passports.

For anyone not travelling beyond Dubai it was a great fare but didn't work out for us. Too many risks.

Last edited by gordiegem; May 18, 2022 at 6:46 am
Old May 18, 2022, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm pretty sure it's the kind of airside hotel where you have to ring up/email the airport itself to book a room.

Use the contact details on that page.

They really don't take reservations: i guess it makes for a simpler life, at least in the initial stages of the hotel's operation.

In an idle chat with an airport guy, he said the hotel has some sort of commercial agreement with SV, so needs to be ready to accept some of the airline's passengers if there are delays - and that could be messy if they had a system packed with reservations.

But that's just gossip …. it seems they're missing a trick. Looking at the success of other airside hotels at hubs, i expect the rates could increase and a booking system may eventually be introduced. It's just that in the kingdom these things don't always run on the expected tracks …..
Old May 18, 2022, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gordiegem
Ended up cancelling as I had booked fare for first part of a journey to Maldives. The economy flights I then needed to fly from Dubai to Male were £2000 for both of us for a 4 hour economy return flight plus we needed repositioning flights to get from Northern Ireland to Amsterdam and hotels etc. Discovered for an extra £600 I could book Turkish Airlines for our whole journey from Dublin to Maldives, all segments in business class on one ticket with good connection times. I rather pay an extra £600 for peace of mind. Saudi Airlines cancellation fee was 95 euro and will take 45 days for refund. Just a quick tip to anyone cancelling, try to use mobile telephone if you make contact with Saudi Airlines. I used landline to telephone Saudi Airlines but could not receive the verification code and had to send follow up email on direction of Customer Services Representative with screenshot proving I had attempted to get a verification code.

For anyone not travelling beyond Dubai it was a great fare but didn't work out for us. Too many risks.
Where did you find TK for £1000 return? What dates as they tend to be around 3k.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
If LHR is your home airport then maybe a direct Avios flight otherwise you’ll have to connect in LHR extending the length of the journey quite significantly. Plus not everyone will have miles in an airline FF programme who fly direct from their local airport to AMS. Same goes for other countries and other airline FF programmes.
I rather think the subset of people who jumped on this deal, and people who haven't the time/money/miles to get from the UK/other 3rd country to AMS at a reasonable price, is a vanishingly small group of people!!!
Old May 18, 2022, 5:47 am
Original Poster

One thing I keep hearing on FT is that if you find a great deal book it before it disappears and then worry about the logistics later.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Where did you find TK for £1000 return? What dates as they tend to be around 3k.
You maybe misunderstood me. I was referring to extra £600 in addition to cost of the return economy flights from Dubai to Maldives, repositioning flights to Amsterdam plus hotels. So looking at £3700 for 2 business class return flights from Dublin to Male with 2 hr connection. Have them on hold for 3 days directly with Turkish Airlines.
onlysuites likes this.

Last edited by gordiegem; May 18, 2022 at 7:26 am
Old May 18, 2022, 7:13 am

I ended up cancelling for similar reasons. Repositioning flight to AMS (From the New York area) and then booking Round trip from Dubai to my final destination in India (Chennai) - the economics was not working out. Thankfully I cancelled within the 24 hour period, and I got a 100% refund immediately with Expedia

Originally Posted by gordiegem
Ended up cancelling as I had booked fare for first part of a journey to Maldives. The economy flights I then needed to fly from Dubai to Male were £2000 for both of us for a 4 hour economy return flight plus we needed repositioning flights to get from Northern Ireland to Amsterdam and hotels etc. Discovered for an extra £600 I could book Turkish Airlines for our whole journey from Dublin to Maldives, all segments in business class on one ticket with good connection times. I rather pay an extra £600 for peace of mind. Saudi Airlines cancellation fee was 95 euro and will take 45 days for refund. Had a few refund hoops to jump through. For some reason my contact details had defaulted to my landline number despite me providing mobile number. If you try to refund online with Saudi you need to receive a verification code which I couldn't. I had to email on direction of Customer Services Representative a screenshot proving I had attempted to get a verification code plus copies of both passports.

Justin Case likes this.

Last edited by zoonil; May 18, 2022 at 7:15 am Reason: .
Old May 18, 2022, 7:38 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lall
A word of caution to those booking Saudia. I have read many horror stories about the airline, its staff, baggage losses and the reliability of SV flight schedules.
Sometimes, it pays to spend some more money to reduce risk.
Impugning an airline that you've never flown? How does that help anyone?

I've found Saudia to be underrated, heaps better than most other carriers. Although I took a few flights with them pre-tourist visa days (which did indeed mean many hours of layovers), now I'd be much less hesitant to book with them, for that reason.

Things can go wrong anywhere, anytime, but I'd rather that happen when I'm somewhere beautiful and delicious.
Saudia can take me to those places.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Agreed. I find Saudia to be a fine airline with often good fares in both Y and J.
Flown them for around 20 years, and while they had many problems in the past a lot of these have been resolved.

But now with new Jeddah lounge, tourist visa and general attitude shift I find them a very pleasant airline to fly.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Plus if MBS wants to open up KSA to more widespread tourism then having a good competent airlines with enticing fares helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.