Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary

Need 4000+ MQDs?
If based in a city that is served by Virgin Atlantic such as IAD, JFK, BOS, MIA, LAS, LAX, SFO one of the best options is to fly to JNB or CPT via LHR. This can be done in a weekend and you can usually earn 4-5000 MQDs for under 1300-1600. You need to select Economy Delight which is similar to regular economy but with more legroom and the possibility of earning 20% of distance as MQDs. This is the most common way to earn large chunks at a cheap price.

Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
End of Year MQD crunch

Departure Airport: JFK but open to any repositioning
Miles Needed: 12.5K MQD
Required Spend or Budget: Pref <$5k?
Available Travel Dates: last week of Nov (other than 11/29) - pretty much any time in December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes

Happy Saturday, FT community. First time having to do this, as a rash of COVID through my family since the end of August knocked my Q3/Q4 travel plans out of alignment. With lots of travel in 2023, I'm trying to keep DL Diamond by any means necessary.

Would prefer shortest-turn back to backs (looking into JFKEZE's TIJ-CJS options, and wondering how many of those can be chained back-to-back). Have >$1.5k in Delta certs and both Regional and Global certs to burn, so repositioning anywhere isn't hard. Also have both Marriott & IHG certs to burn so even if I need to overnight at an airport that's not an issue. Just know I need to get DL partners for the necessary MQDs to stack up. Amex Plat travel and bonuses would be a plus.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by landeej
Departure Airport: JFK but open to any repositioning
Miles Needed: 12.5K MQD
Required Spend or Budget: Pref <$5k?
Available Travel Dates: last week of Nov (other than 11/29) - pretty much any time in December

Would prefer shortest-turn back to backs (looking into JFKEZE's TIJ-CJS options, and wondering how many of those can be chained back-to-back).
Thanks in advance.
You can do one each day ......... depart TIJ at the 6:30am and return back next day at 3:30am. Same for the TIJ-CUN trip.

Old Nov 19, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Have >$1.5k in Delta certs and both Regional and Global certs to burn, so repositioning anywhere isn't hard.
Serious question - I also have regional and global upgrade certs expiring. Does using those though reduce your MQDs, as compared to paying for the upgrade?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Serious question - I also have regional and global upgrade certs expiring. Does using those though reduce your MQDs, as compared to paying for the upgrade?
Using the cert will bump your Class of Service, but they don't have perceived "cash value" in terms of MQDs. So you could trans-con JFK-LAX in D1 if you used a Regional/Global, but if your base fare was say $400 + tax your MQDs would still be $400.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Using the cert will bump your Class of Service, but they don't have perceived "cash value" in terms of MQDs. So you could trans-con JFK-LAX in D1 if you used a Regional/Global, but if your base fare was say $400 + tax your MQDs would still be $400.
Understood. Maybe it’s because I need close to 2k MQDs I can’t see using my certs.
landeej likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Understood. Maybe it’s because I need close to 2k MQDs I can’t see using my certs.
Yup - I'd use them for a positioning flight if I needed to get somewhere to make an MQD-heavy run more attractive. For example - I'm looking at DL JFK-SFO which I'd then use a cert on to snag one of the Virgin SFO-LHR-CPT itineraries mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Just weighing cost, flight time, and turnaround time.
CrazyEddie likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 5:01 pm

Hey Guys, please need help for final Diamond push. Thanks in advance.

Departure Airport: CVG
MQD Needed: 2320
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: flexible anytime besides Dec 3rd to 9th
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: flexible
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyer0804
Hey Guys, please need help for final Diamond push. Thanks in advance.

Departure Airport: CVG
MQD Needed: 2320
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: flexible anytime besides Dec 3rd to 9th
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: flexible
One option is to take a positioning flight to El Paso (Dec. 11 - 12, $581, $496 MQDs), make your way across the border to Ciudad Juárez airport and then do a CJS - TIJ flight on Aeromexico business class ($485, $1900 MQDs) for a total cost of $1066 and earning about $2396 MQDs

Another option for the same dates, is to take a positioning flight to San Diego (Dec 11 - 12, $589, $505 MQDs), make your way to the CBX/Tijuana airport and then do a TIJ - CJS run on Aeromexico business class ($519, $1900 MQDs) for a total cost of $1108 and earning about $2405 MQDs. While a little more expensive, there is extensive discussion about the process/experience of crossing the border to TIJ airport from San Diego.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 19, 2022 at 8:55 pm
Old Nov 19, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta
need mileage run assist

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 19000
Required Spend or Budget: 6338 MQD's needed to qualify for Diamond 2023
Budget 2500
Available Travel Dates: open except for Thanksgiving day and Christmas eve and Day
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: No requirements.
This is to keep Diamond for next year
I have a tix on hold on Virgin Atlantic LAX to JNB For $3600 in Premium. This is a bit more than I want to spend. The big question is it worth it? I do love my diamond.

For such a long flight, I think I would go nuts in reg Main seating unless an exit row is available.

I thought that there might be other options. Aero-Mexico is completely booked through DEC.
Thanks so so much!
Old Nov 19, 2022, 9:55 pm
JN1

Programs: Delta Sky Miles - Gold Medallion
AM isn't booked if you go to TIJ then pivot to various areas in their lineup. I'm looking for something similar and wish the LAX <> NRT was still available. I'm thinking about using miles to reposition then find a way to get a quick flight to get me $3k MQD.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 12:33 am

Departure Airport: BOS
MQD Needed: 3,800
Required Spend or Budget: Sub $2000
Available Travel Dates: Any dates December 12-21
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL or any partner

Hi all, appreciate anyones advice on final push for Diamond. Open to swinging an actual 6-9 day trip out of it if it helps save costs on ticket -- would love to do something coastal in Mexico or Central America or Europe around the holidays but biggest priority is of course what gets me my final needed 3,800 MQDs on partner airline to qualify for Diamond. I also have 200k+ Skymiles if that helps in plotting!

Thank you!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
This flight to New Orlean earns almost $2200 MQDs

That is some pricey ticket!
CrazyEddie likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by walkswithdogs
Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 19000
Required Spend or Budget: 6338 MQD's needed to qualify for Diamond 2023
Budget 2500
Available Travel Dates: open except for Thanksgiving day and Christmas eve and Day
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: No requirements.
This is to keep Diamond for next year
I have a tix on hold on Virgin Atlantic LAX to JNB For $3600 in Premium. This is a bit more than I want to spend. The big question is it worth it? I do love my diamond.

For such a long flight, I think I would go nuts in reg Main seating unless an exit row is available.

I thought that there might be other options. Aero-Mexico is completely booked through DEC.
Thanks so so much!
Building on JN1's suggestion. You can do two TIJ - LIM runs to get your needed miles and mqds.

e.g. Nov 28 - 28, TIJ-MEX-LIM-MEX-TIJ, $1310 Aeromexico business class, about 12,000 MQMs, $3200 MQDs, immediate turn, various dates available at this price, Google Flights link. Link to discussion about TIJ - XXX runs including experiences with border crossings (CBX)

Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta
DL Platinum to Diamond Status help

Gratitude for helping. It is my first time this close to Diamond.

Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed: 28k MQM, NEED $3.5K MQD
Required Spend or Budget: $3.5k
Available Travel Dates: some flexibility Nov 28 for a day run, Dec 7 -10 and after Dec 12

I have upcoming flights I could leave from or go to those airports if necessary:

Nov 29 ATL to LAS in the morning. I could leave out of LAS to do a run as long as I'm back that day.

Dec 7 I'm in Dallas and can fly that day as long as I make my 4:30p flight to ATL. Then I land in ATL at 7:32p and go do a run at that time.

Last edited by Tess Vismale; Nov 20, 2022 at 8:49 am
Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
One option is to take a positioning flight to El Paso (Dec. 11 - 12, $581, $496 MQDs), make your way across the border to Ciudad Juárez airport and then do a CJS - TIJ flight on Aeromexico business class ($485, $1900 MQDs) for a total cost of $1066 and earning about $2396 MQDs

Another option for the same dates, is to take a positioning flight to San Diego (Dec 11 - 12, $589, $505 MQDs), make your way to the CBX/Tijuana airport and then do a TIJ - CJS run on Aeromexico business class ($519, $1900 MQDs) for a total cost of $1108 and earning about $2405 MQDs. While a little more expensive, there is extensive discussion about the process/experience of crossing the border to TIJ airport from San Diego.

Thanks. Do you think it would be possible to make such a mileage run through Delta partner airlines without leaving the US (for example Hawaii) and with out paying 2340 USD for 2340 mqd? Or is that not possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.