Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary

Need 4000+ MQDs?
If based in a city that is served by Virgin Atlantic such as IAD, JFK, BOS, MIA, LAS, LAX, SFO one of the best options is to fly to JNB or CPT via LHR. This can be done in a weekend and you can usually earn 4-5000 MQDs for under 1300-1600. You need to select Economy Delight which is similar to regular economy but with more legroom and the possibility of earning 20% of distance as MQDs. This is the most common way to earn large chunks at a cheap price.

Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: *G
Departure Airport: CPH
Miles Needed: 16.5k MQM
Required Spend or Budget: <800 USD
Available Travel Dates: most weeks +1-2 days off around the weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by studentCPH
Departure Airport: CP

H
Miles Needed: 16.5k MQM
Required Spend or Budget: <800 USD
Available Travel Dates: most weeks +1-2 days off around the weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes
Use this as a starting point, 200 above budget: CPH to HNL As a SkyMiles Member, you could earn 17,167 MQMs
USD 1,070 DKK 8,203
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:19 am

Departure Airport: PNS/MSY/BHM/TLH/ATL, MIA in DEC
MQMs Needed: 6,000 (the more the merrier though, so that I can roll them over to next year for a head start)
MQDs Needed: 1200
Required Spend or Budget: Low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Flexible if quick turnaround. I also have a trip to MIA 15-18 DEC so I could do something in the front or back end of that
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshare okay. Delta or Delta partners are okay.

Open to quick turnarounds to do by myself but would prefer a few days-weeklong trip with the wife. Live in Pensacola but I have a wedding in Miami on Dec 16th so open to doing a trip on the front/back end of that if there's anything out of there.

Thanks so much in advance
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by NotSoFloridaMan
Departure Airport: PNS/MSY/BHM/TLH/ATL, MIA in DEC
MQMs Needed: 6,000 (the more the merrier though, so that I can roll them over to next year for a head start)
MQDs Needed: 1200
Required Spend or Budget: Low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Flexible if quick turnaround. I also have a trip to MIA 15-18 DEC so I could do something in the front or back end of that
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshare okay. Delta or Delta partners are okay.

Open to quick turnarounds to do by myself but would prefer a few days-weeklong trip with the wife. Live in Pensacola but I have a wedding in Miami on Dec 16th so open to doing a trip on the front/back end of that if there's anything out of there.

Thanks so much in advance
Maybe Tijuana and San Diego?
MCO-TIJ for $722 would earn 8130 MQMs 2168 MQDs 3.00 MQD Ratio
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:43 pm

Question, I'm planning to book a few round trip flights from TIJ to SJD with Aeromexico to get some cheap MQD's. On Aeromexico website I selected their "Premier" class which is their business class to be able to qualify for the 40% rate to MQD's. The first leg of the flight is from TIJ to MEX which is flown in the "premier" and the second left from MEX to SJD is flown in "Premier Light". Does anyone know if the second leg also counts as Business class to be able to get the 40%? Also prior to booking a ticket on Aeromexico how can I see what fare code (letter to compare to chart below) a certain flight would fall under so that I can better gage my estimates when comparing it to delta's chart below. Sorry for the novice questions. Fairly new to this. Thank you!!

Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
Trying to complete Delta Diamond before the end of the year. TIA for any ideas.

Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed: 6,000 MQMs
MQDs not needed.

Required Spend or Budget: not picky -- willing to pay for comfort/1st if reasonable
Available Travel Dates: 9/30-10/3, 10/21-10/23, 11/11-11/12, 12/2-12/4
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares okay

Last edited by cyplainsdrifter; Sep 28, 2022 at 7:49 am
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by cyplainsdrifter
Trying to complete Delta Diamond before the end of the year. TIA for any ideas.

Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed: 6,000 MQMs
MQDs not needed.

Required Spend or Budget: not picky -- willing to pay for comfort/1st if reasonable
Available Travel Dates: 9/30-10/3, 10/21-10/23, 11/11-11/12, 12/2-12/4
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares okay
If you want to stay domestic, then a flight to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Kona, Lihue will get you the needed miles. Prices from $554 (Main Cabin) (e.g. ATL-LIH, Nov. 11, about 90 minutes in LIH, 10,000 MQMs, book on Delta)

You can also do a run to Mexicali on Aeromexico business class for a bit more. Google Flight Link
cyplainsdrifter likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS & DL
Hi, I'm EXTREMELY new to flying with DL and I was hoping you could explain how to figure out this fare earning $1750 MQD and 6500 MQMs? Appreciate the help!

e.g. Nov. 12 - 13, IAH-MEX-TIJ-MEX-TIJ, about $1750 MQD, 6500 MQMs Business Class

Last edited by wildeyofatime; Sep 28, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by wildeyofatime
Hi, I'm EXTREMELY new to flying with DL and I was hoping you could explain how to figure out this fare earning $1750 MQD and 6500 MQMs? Appreciate the help!

e.g. Nov. 12 - 13, IAH-MEX-TIJ-MEX-TIJ, about $1750 MQD, 6500 MQMs Business Class

In plain English, you need MQD or Spend to obtain status with Delta or United, American had it and now replaced with Loyalty Points.

MQDs usually match 1-1 with real cash spend. Airlines are pretty good at calculating how much money they make off each ticket they sell you, and what part is taxes etc. So on a $100 fare they can say you had spend of $90.

Now the issue is with partner airline, sometimes they have lots of information, otherwise they just know you flew from X to Y via Z in A class. That's great but doesn't give a full picture for them, now they could spend more to get additional information, especially with Joint Ventures but in reality it's a spend vs return on spend idea.
So to keep things simple they credit different flights at different rates based upon the booking code, with some airlines giving closer partners a higher rate.

Things get complicated easily so they generally give ranges of earnings on partners from 0% to 60% of distance as MQDs

You can earn Delta MQMs, RDMs and MQDs from at least 384 unique airfare buckets across 4 types of cabin (First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy and Economy) and subcategories within each area on over 20 different airlines! Data as of mid 2022 from my site Premiumcabindeals

Aeromexico in Business Class gives you 40% of Distance flown as MQDs and 150% of distance as MQMs.

Using your example: IAH-MEX-TIJ-MEX-TIJ gives 5050 flown miles, which times 40% gives 2020 MQDs and 150% MQMs or 7577 MQMs. Numbers from MileCalc.
Ewele likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS & DL
Totally appreciate all the info!
jfkeze and DeltaGoldLass like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:04 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jfkeze
In plain English, you need MQD or Spend to obtain status with Delta or United, American had it and now replaced with Loyalty Points.

MQDs usually match 1-1 with real cash spend. Airlines are pretty good at calculating how much money they make off each ticket they sell you, and what part is taxes etc. So on a $100 fare they can say you had spend of $90.

Now the issue is with partner airline, sometimes they have lots of information, otherwise they just know you flew from X to Y via Z in A class. That's great but doesn't give a full picture for them, now they could spend more to get additional information, especially with Joint Ventures but in reality it's a spend vs return on spend idea.
So to keep things simple they credit different flights at different rates based upon the booking code, with some airlines giving closer partners a higher rate.

Things get complicated easily so they generally give ranges of earnings on partners from 0% to 60% of distance as MQDs

You can earn Delta MQMs, RDMs and MQDs from at least 384 unique airfare buckets across 4 types of cabin (First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy and Economy) and subcategories within each area on over 20 different airlines! Data as of mid 2022 from my site Premiumcabindeals

Aeromexico in Business Class gives you 40% of Distance flown as MQDs and 150% of distance as MQMs.

Using your example: IAH-MEX-TIJ-MEX-TIJ gives 5050 flown miles, which times 40% gives 2020 MQDs and 150% MQMs or 7577 MQMs. Numbers from MileCalc.
Totally appreciate all the info!
One important nuance here -- you can often buy flights with various airline codes, so your example flights you can probably buy on Delta.com with DL flight numbers, or on Aeromexico.com (and other sites) with AM flight numbers. The distance-based calculation for MQDs only applies if you book on AM flight numbers -- on DL flight numbers, you earn MQDs based on how much you spend same as any other Delta flight, and likewise MQMs based on the same formulas you would use for any Delta flight, though in this case the MQM earning is likely the same either way.
wildeyofatime likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I booked this, but ticketed through VS. Will the Comfort+ legs credit properly as Premium Economy for MQDs when crediting to DL?

Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by diburning
I booked this, but ticketed through VS. Will the Comfort+ legs credit properly as Premium Economy for MQDs when crediting to DL?

If you have VS flight numbers it should be Ok, looking at a different day it seems it's a K fare on VS so 30% MQDs
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Originally Posted by christianm49
Question, I'm planning to book a few round trip flights from TIJ to SJD with Aeromexico to get some cheap MQD's. On Aeromexico website I selected their "Premier" class which is their business class to be able to qualify for the 40% rate to MQD's. The first leg of the flight is from TIJ to MEX which is flown in the "premier" and the second left from MEX to SJD is flown in "Premier Light". Does anyone know if the second leg also counts as Business class to be able to get the 40%? Also prior to booking a ticket on Aeromexico how can I see what fare code (letter to compare to chart below) a certain flight would fall under so that I can better gage my estimates when comparing it to delta's chart below. Sorry for the novice questions. Fairly new to this. Thank you!!

Fare codes are visible ITA Matrix. Premier fares (light and classic) usually book into I

See chart above. I use gcmap. 763 miles from IAH-MEX, earning 150% MQM and 40% MQD. So 1144 MQM and 305 MQD. MEX- TIJ is 1429, so 2143 MQM 571 MQD. so 305+571+571+305 = 1752 MQD and same for the MQMs!

edit: sorry didn't see this was already answered
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:06 pm

Hello!

Trying to figure out how to hit Diamond for the first time. Will make it on MQMs, but way short on MQDs. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for good routes for hitting MQD requirements w intl travel without actually spending $7000.

Departure Airport: LAX/BUR, JFK, or DCA
MQMs Needed: N/A
MQDs Needed: $7000
Required Spend or Budget: Would like to keep it low if possible
Available Travel Dates: Flexible schedule after November 1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.