Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary

Need 4000+ MQDs?
If based in a city that is served by Virgin Atlantic such as IAD, JFK, BOS, MIA, LAS, LAX, SFO one of the best options is to fly to JNB or CPT via LHR. This can be done in a weekend and you can usually earn 4-5000 MQDs for under 1300-1600. You need to select Economy Delight which is similar to regular economy but with more legroom and the possibility of earning 20% of distance as MQDs. This is the most common way to earn large chunks at a cheap price.

Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jj15
Anyone recently do the JNB mileage run and what was passing through customs like if you are flying back the same day? Or is it recommended to stay a day or two for legal reasons?
Doing the same trip with the 12 H layover in JNB. My original plan was to stay in the airport and just bypass customs all together but I see no reason why you can’t walk in and out through customs like any other international flight.

My bigger concern is that each country has its own COVID laws that constantly change. So far flying back to US is the worst and I have no idea where I’m going to get my 24Hr Covid test in JNB.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by uporito
Doing the same trip with the 12 H layover in JNB. My original plan was to stay in the airport and just bypass customs all together but I see no reason why you can’t walk in and out through customs like any other international flight.

My bigger concern is that each country has its own COVID laws that constantly change. So far flying back to US is the worst and I have no idea where I’m going to get my 24Hr Covid test in JNB.
There are Covid testing centres at the JNB airport

e.g.

Next+Biosciences (1 hour Antigen - 350 RAND; 2 hour PCR rapid test for 1250 Rand)

Navomix Health (Rapid Antigen - 400 RAND; Rapid PCR - 1100 Rand)
NYC_Bound likes this.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Jan 27, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:51 pm

Man you are amazing. Thanks for the route and the tips.

Can't wait for the 42 hour flight
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle

I carry some of the Binex rapid tests with me. Make an appointment, take the test when you land in JNB, fly back to the US.

When are you flying the JNB route?

For those of you here that have done it, do you just hang out in the airport for the 12 hours or leave and go explore? I’m considering doing this milage run as my usual go to, Aeromexico, isn’t letting me book international fares from the US still.
DeltaGoldLass and Pocatello like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:16 pm

Flying the JNB route April.

I have Priority Pass but 12 hours is a long time. Thinking about taking a guided tour after I get tested in the airport.
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle

I have Priority Pass but 12 hours is a long time. Thinking about taking a guided tour after I get tested in the airport.
I’ll be flying it last weekend in May. We will see how 43 hours on a plane goes!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
I traveled to JNB on VS in November. Customs lines were long but moved fairly quickly. I believe the lounge I waited in for departure was Shongololo Lounge. It was comfortable and super clean. They had a pretty good amount of food and drink choices. I would guess after 20hrs of traveling a shower would be nice but I don't recall showers open there. I plan on going back this year again not just for a "mileage run" but I really do like Johannesburg and Cape Town. I hope Cape Town will open back up on Virgin.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:42 pm

How long did you stay in Johannesburg? I only have 12 hrs of stoppage and was looking for a guided tour like the Rhino and Lion from Moafrika or something
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: Delta MM+ DM trusted traveler, goes, Marriott, IHG SPG. NH Hyatt, Hilton
I flew on VS to JNB in January of 2020!

I stayed at the intercontinental hotel which is directly across the street from the airport and was a piece of cake! I had booked 2 activities during my day and sadly neither one of them showed up . I asked the concierge if she could help me and she suggested a good taxi driver to drive around some sights
it worked out well especially cause I was told it is not prudent for a female alone to go around joh… I had a lovely and somewhat disturbing afternoon … the hotel was great. And I walked back to airport I. The morning
Pocatello likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:18 am
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler

Tale a look at Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight (V fare class) from JFK - JNB. Price as low as $1107. Earns about $4500 MQDs. Use Virgin Atlantic flexible date search.

for example:
Does anyone have experience upgrading on these flights with virgin miles? Their site leads me to believe that it'll cost me the Atl AND J-berg upgrade cost combined, it's not a crazy amount if I do it off peak though. I'm also not sure if I can do that when attaching my skymiles number. Lastly I know it's normal that upgrades are credited based on purchased ticket class, is this the case?

My plan would be: Book economy delight via VA with that number attached, call to upgrade to upper class with miles, change my flight to my DL number, take flights that are then credited to DL at the delight earning rate.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:59 am

Not as great as the LAX-JNB in terms of MQD/dollar ratio, but if you want another LAX route that sits business, LAX - CDG - DXB through AF Business Class (Z)

For 2513 dollars you get 7120 MQD on AF's 777 and 787 Business Class with one day layover in DXB.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:22 pm

Not as great as the LAX-JNB in terms of MQD/dollar ratio, but if you want another LAX route that sits business, LAX - CDG - DXB through AF Business Class (Z)

For 2513 dollars you get 7120 MQD on AF's 777 and 787 Business Class with one day layover in DXB.

Not a bad deal. That’s not a full day layover, you arrive at 2235 on the 14th and leave at 0040 on the 15th. So 2 hours, is that going to be enough time to clear immigrations and come back through?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL
Departure Airport: Any NYC Airport. Willing to reposition if needed/not too expensive.
MQM Needed: 10-15k
No MQD needed - Credit Card Waiver

Required Spend or Budget: Ideally under 1k
Available Travel Dates: Preferably weekends, but could do a Friday departure or maybe Monday return
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL or any code share partner
Current Medallion Level: Gold

Just need MQMs. Would prefer not to go all the way to South Africa. Any ideas for getting MQMs from NYC that don't involve flying to JNB? I've done Aeromexico business class runs before and enjoyed them, especially on their 787s. I'm likely going to need to get between 20-25k MQMs to hit Platinum. Any ideas welcome!
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by sayle1058
Departure Airport: Any NYC Airport. Willing to reposition if needed/not too expensive.
MQM Needed: 10-15k
No MQD needed - Credit Card Waiver

Required Spend or Budget: Ideally under 1k
Available Travel Dates: Preferably weekends, but could do a Friday departure or maybe Monday return
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL or any code share partner
Current Medallion Level: Gold

Just need MQMs. Would prefer not to go all the way to South Africa. Any ideas for getting MQMs from NYC that don't involve flying to JNB? I've done Aeromexico business class runs before and enjoyed them, especially on their 787s. I'm likely going to need to get between 20-25k MQMs to hit Platinum. Any ideas welcome!
A mileage run to the Hawaiian islands is about 10,000 MQMs. From JFK, you can find deals in the $500 - $700 range depending on fare class. Use Delta flexible date search with same day return.
e.g.

Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Oneworld pleb, Accors Hotel Gold
How to maximise this route

Hi everyone, I found a good flight ARN-BKK business for 1240 eur. However, I wonder if there's a way for me to max out the XP to gain more? Trying to get to platinum so any suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.