Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary

Need 4000+ MQDs?
If based in a city that is served by Virgin Atlantic such as IAD, JFK, BOS, MIA, LAS, LAX, SFO one of the best options is to fly to JNB or CPT via LHR. This can be done in a weekend and you can usually earn 4-5000 MQDs for under 1300-1600. You need to select Economy Delight which is similar to regular economy but with more legroom and the possibility of earning 20% of distance as MQDs. This is the most common way to earn large chunks at a cheap price.

Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Lchen1989
Hi All - thanks for all you do on this forum! This would be my first time doing a mileage run so your help is greatly appreciated. I’ve browsed the forum a few times and it seems like the JFK-LHR-JNB route is a popular one. To get to my level of MQM, I would need at least 3 trips to make it work. Any other ideas to shorten the amount of trips required? How about one of the Asian Airlines (ie Korean)? Wouldn’t mind a delish meal in between flights!

Departure Airport: NYC (jfk, lga, ewr)
Miles Needed: 50,000 MQM and $3,500 MQD for diamond status
Required Spend or Budget: $3,000
Available Travel Dates: ideally over long weekends (excluding thanksgiving and Xmas)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: yes
China Eastern was the darling pre-Covid with Discount Business Class fare and great MQDs... The issue is that most of the Asian partners are not in the Tier 1 level , so they usually get just 20% of distance as MQDs. Korean does give 40% MQDs but prices have been sky-high leaving it as a less attractive option, might be worth looking at the YYC-SCL fare /CAD 1722 or USD 1336 in Business for 5226 MQDs/ can be done in a weekend , but you need to fly to Calgary which might be worth looking into from Tijuana...

so a creative , not sure about the total cost, would be across 3 tickets...
Ticket 1 NYC to TIJ,
Ticket 2 TIJ to YYC
Ticket 3 YYC to SCL
Ticket 3 SCL to YYC , this could be to YVR and skip the last WestJet segment
Ticket 2 YYC to TIJ
Ticket 1 TIJ to NYC

If not 2 JNB trips with longish layover in London and explore the city...
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:17 pm

Is the LAX - NRT AM deal still available? I realized I booked it on some really ...... dates and want to get some travel credits or book it further down the line.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:19 pm

Need 9k MQD for Diamond

Hi all! Only year I'll ever probably be able to hit Diamond. Thanks for any info/guidance!

9000 MQDs for DiamondDeparture Airport: BNA or ATLMiles Needed: Just MQDs -9kRequired Spend or Budget: $2500 for each personAvailable Travel Dates: Any - I'll probably do a solo weekend in airports
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Rockwell
Hi all! Only year I'll ever probably be able to hit Diamond. Thanks for any info/guidance!

9000 MQDs for DiamondDeparture Airport: BNA or ATLMiles Needed: Just MQDs -9kRequired Spend or Budget: $2500 for each personAvailable Travel Dates: Any - I'll probably do a solo weekend in airports
One option is to do the Virgin Atlantic (Economy Delight class) run from ATL-JNB via LHR which gets you about $4900 MQDs per trip. Prices have gone up with the lowest price at about $1597. Long layovers in LHR. Use Virgin Atlantic flexible date search (e.g. Nov 11 - 13) to find desired dates.

A second option is to do several MR from TIJ on AeroMexico. Please see JFKEZE's posting
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:54 pm

DL Winter Trip Help Needed

I'm like $3,500 from hitting diamond and am looking at doing a family vacation in December with somewhat flexible dates. The key here is leaving on or near December 19th (no earlier than the 17th) and being somewhere for 10-12 days. Can also land at a different spot then returning to as long as the original flight starts in Los Angeles and I return to Los Angeles. Any help with this is greatly appreciated and we are totally open to going anywhere.

Departure Airport: LAX
MQD Needed: $3,500
Required Spend or Budget: $2000
Available Travel Dates: Leave anytime after December 17th and return 10-13 days after departing
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by vannielj
I'm like $3,500 from hitting diamond and am looking at doing a family vacation in December with somewhat flexible dates. The key here is leaving on or near December 19th (no earlier than the 17th) and being somewhere for 10-12 days. Can also land at a different spot then returning to as long as the original flight starts in Los Angeles and I return to Los Angeles. Any help with this is greatly appreciated and we are totally open to going anywhere.

Available Travel Dates: Leave anytime after December 17th and return 10-13 days after departing
So the main issue will be that you are looking to a do a MR during PEAK vacation period so the odds of a deal will be harder since late December/early January have always been peak travel season and airlines have priced it accordingly....

The other issue with Family MRs is that usually not everyone is happy with extra stops, positing flights etc.

Does everyone need the MQDs or just you? Why not grab a weekend trip for yourself such as YYC-SCL fare /CAD 1722 or USD 1336 in Business for 5226 MQD

Or if you want a Family MR look into JNB in Economy Delight which gives 25% of distance.... But fares are over 3000 in coach at times....

I would look at Hermosillo from Tijuana as the best chance for MQDs 1868 each so two of them should do it
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta
Currently, I have Gold Medallion status, but I am attempting to get Platinum status for next year. It's been a slow year, but I have 20,932 MQMs & $1,369 MQDs. I have a few flights upcoming as well, but I want to maximize what I can get from now through August 25th. I would like to go to Santo Domingo & I was exploring traveling through Mexico to gain additional miles. I'd love a great itinerary for that at the minimum. But, I really want the best cost-effective way to get my required spend etc, like everyone else. I appreciate your assistance/guidance!

Departure Airport: BOS
MQD Needed: 55,000 MQMs and $7,700 MQDs
Required Spend or Budget: $2500, maybe $3K
Available Travel Dates: Any time from now until 25th (see below)

Edit - let me take back any day. These days will not work July 15th-18th
August 2nd, August 3-8, August 12th

Last edited by jcasanovadavis; Jul 9, 2022 at 9:15 am
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:52 pm

OK that makes sense, so if i don't do it with family which is totally fine, Here is a new request. The key for me is trying to find something from LAX. My fall is really busy (unfortunately) so that is the challenge here.

Available Travel Dates: July 27 - Aug 3
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by jcasanovadavis
Currently, I have Gold Medallion status, but I am attempting to get Platinum status for next year. It's been a slow year, but I have 20,932 MQMs & $1,369 MQDs. I have a few flights upcoming as well, but I want to maximize what I can get from now through August 25th. I would like to go to Santo Domingo & I was exploring traveling through Mexico to gain additional miles. I'd love a great itinerary for that at the minimum. But, I really want the best cost-effective way to get my required spend etc, like everyone else. I appreciate your assistance/guidance!

Updated - any assistance would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold

Updated - any assistance would be great. Thanks in advance!
Being in Boston you can more easily do the VS BOS-LHR-JNB that has been posted on this thread several times (e.g. #127). Is there a reason why this won't work?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:07 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Thanks to all the active participants in this thread, there are some great ideas out there.

Departure Airport: NYC
MQD Needed: $8,000
Required Spend or Budget: flexible
Available Travel Dates: late September-early November

The Economy Delight fares on VS would probably be the most efficient way to knock this out but I'm not sure I can sign up to that much flying in Y over a short period of time. I do have GUCs though successful use of those on VS is pretty spotty. (Those also used to present interesting opportunities on AF/KL but I understand that loophole may now have closed.)

I have found some okay-ish fares to JNB (mid $3ks) out of EWR and ORD, but they mostly require 3-4 nights in JNB which plus travel time adds up to quite a bit of time away ... I do have the vacation days but debating if it's the best use of time. (I have been to JNB before so familiar with what there is and isn't to do there.) NYC-Mexicali also looks interesting although I'd need to do it a few times, which adds up in time/hassle/cost.

Appreciate any other ideas!
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Thanks to all the active participants in this thread, there are some great ideas out there.

Departure Airport: NYC
MQD Needed: $8,000
Required Spend or Budget: flexible
Available Travel Dates: late September-early November

The Economy Delight fares on VS would probably be the most efficient way to knock this out but I'm not sure I can sign up to that much flying in Y over a short period of time. I do have GUCs though successful use of those on VS is pretty spotty. (Those also used to present interesting opportunities on AF/KL but I understand that loophole may now have closed.)

I have found some okay-ish fares to JNB (mid $3ks) out of EWR and ORD, but they mostly require 3-4 nights in JNB which plus travel time adds up to quite a bit of time away ... I do have the vacation days but debating if it's the best use of time. (I have been to JNB before so familiar with what there is and isn't to do there.) NYC-Mexicali also looks interesting although I'd need to do it a few times, which adds up in time/hassle/cost.

Appreciate any other ideas!
La Paz Mexico? 2306 MQDs but I think in Business that is one of the best option...
Also look at Premium Economy to JNB , it used to be a good value
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:00 pm

Given the issues at LHR and the passenger limits they've placed, is it worth finding flights that connect through there? I know the MIA-JNB does that, but I fear what could happen.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:48 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by lhicks21
Given the issues at LHR and the passenger limits they've placed, is it worth finding flights that connect through there? I know the MIA-JNB does that, but I fear what could happen.
Hopefully things will improve once the summer rush is over, but to be seen.

In terms of what could happen ... I assume for a mileage run one is not checking a bag, so that solves one of the biggest risks flying in Europe lately. I would be worried about any shorter connections, say less than 3 hours, though I would be nervous about that at LHR any time.

There is also a possibility that with the airport putting limits on passengers numbers, your flight could be cancelled in advance, but in some cases you may be able to parlay that into a more desirable itinerary, or worst case just get a refund (which is not an awful outcome if you weren't actually taking the trip because you needed to be somewhere...).

If a flight is cancelled at short notice, there is of course always a risk of not getting home on time, etc., and I might be cautious about super short turnaround itineraries given that risk. But in terms of the mileage implications you should generally (perhaps with a fight) be able to get "original routing credit", i.e. the mileage credit you originally expected to get before you were rebooked on something else.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: SkyTeam, OneWorld
Hey folks! Just working on MQD for Diamond again this year. I'm set on everything but that 15k requirement. I have a friend going to Seoul for the dates below so if there's any iteration of a deal that goes through there that would be amazing. Thanks y'all

Departure Airport: AUS
MQD Needed: $9000 by EOY
Required Spend or Budget: whatever is a good deal
Available Travel Dates: 25 July - 15 Aug
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Whatever gets the most MQD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.