Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 26, 22, 12:24 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Pat89339
Wiki Link
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

Old May 23, 22, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler View Post
If are willing to re-position to Montreal, the YUL-GRU option is possible on July 11-12 for $2465 CAD ($1915 USD) which earns you about 20,700 MQMs and $5500 MQDs. (note that there is a long layover in MEX on the return)

You can also check out Virgin Atlantic flights JFK-LHR for 1 - 2 day turnaround but usually these flights don't get you the great MQD x mileage flown ratios.
Thank you! Really appreciate the quick response- do you happen to know of any options in June and doesn't require repositioning? I will probably need to make 1-2 if so, right?
Old May 23, 22, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jessthing View Post
Thank you! Really appreciate the quick response- do you happen to know of any options in June and doesn't require repositioning? I will probably need to make 1-2 if so, right?
Unfortunately, June is start of the summer travel season. If you are willing to wait until later in the year, there will probably be some better deals.

For $8000 MQDs, you will need to fly a pretty long distance. JFK-LHR-JNB-LHR-JFK on Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight class earns about $4500 MQDs.

e.g. May 28-29, $1225, depart Saturday and arrive back in New York on Monday (3 days travel). Other dates available but will require 4 days of travel and slightly higher prices.
Old May 23, 22, 7:13 pm

Unfortunately, June is start of the summer travel season. If you are willing to wait until later in the year, there will probably be some better deals.

For $8000 MQDs, you will need to fly a pretty long distance. JFK-LHR-JNB-LHR-JFK on Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight class earns about $4500 MQDs.

e.g. May 28-29, $1225, depart Saturday and arrive back in New York on Monday (3 days travel). Other dates available but will require 4 days of travel and slightly higher prices.
Yes that makes sense - thank you again (!) for this find.

I'll try one of these runs now and do another one later in the year. Planning on going to Malaysia in the fall, but don't think there's a lot of Skyteam partners that fly to Asia outside of Korean Air. Will see what I can swing.

Really appreciate your help & expertise!
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old May 23, 22, 7:23 pm

I'll try one of these runs now and do another one later in the year. Planning on going to Malaysia in the fall, but don't think there's a lot of Skyteam partners that fly to Asia outside of Korean Air. Will see what I can swing.

China Airlines (Taiwan) and China Eastern both fly to Malaysia and are Sky Team members. Their prices are usually less than Korean Airlines. Though with Covid-19, both airlines have reduced the number of flights.
Old May 24, 22, 8:17 am

First time I need to scramble for status

Departure Airport: msp
PQD Needed: $1600
Maximum Budget: cheaper is better will up fare for longer flights
Available Travel Dates: flexible but want quick turnaround
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: codeshare good

Route(s) You've Already Searched: not many
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No
Old May 24, 22, 8:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Return2flight View Post
Departure Airport: msp
PQD Needed: $1600
Maximum Budget: cheaper is better will up fare for longer flights
Available Travel Dates: flexible but want quick turnaround
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: codeshare good

Route(s) You've Already Searched: not many
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No
These sample flights work well if you just want MQDs as it has no time on the ground in Tijuana and just 6 hours in Guadalajara and 10 hours in Salt Lake City.

MSP-TIJ would earn 10980 MQMs 2928 MQDs 3.22 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 23424 RDMs, Platinum 20496 RDMs, Gold 19032 RDMs, Silver 17568 RDMs, Base 14640 RDMs

Google Flights

Last edited by jfkeze; May 24, 22 at 8:37 am
Old May 24, 22, 8:39 am

China Airlines (Taiwan) and China Eastern both fly to Malaysia and are Sky Team members. Their prices are usually less than Korean Airlines. Though with Covid-19, both airlines have reduced the number of flights.
Have you seen anything decent on China Eastern since the pandemic? They were one of the go-tos for MQD Runs, but beyond pricey since the pandemic, China Airlines wasn't that attractive but also sky-high...
Old May 24, 22, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
Have you seen anything decent on China Eastern since the pandemic? They were one of the go-tos for MQD Runs, but beyond pricey since the pandemic, China Airlines wasn't that attractive but also sky-high...
Unfortunately, no. China Eastern, as of May, still only has the one flight/week to North America and other Asian countries. Also, the current Covid lockdown makes things difficult.

I am hoping later in the year, they will offer more flights
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old May 24, 22, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Would like to renew my Platinum status, but work travel has been slower to pick up than I expected for my status planning. I have 36k MQM already with about ~1.5k MQD. I expect a trip to Europe over the winter holidays, but nothing set in stone.

Departure Airport: NYC-Metro (HPN, LGA, JFK, BDL, and would do Newark or Boston if it was worth it)
MQD Needed: $7,500
Maximum Budget:
I want to stay under $3k, but will go higher for business as needed
Available Travel Dates: Jul 3-12; but would be flexible with other dates through the rest of the year (preferably weekends, but can manage weekdays)
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Yes, preferred due to MQD need
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? Yes
Old May 24, 22, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Schmoops View Post
Would like to renew my Platinum status, but work travel has been slower to pick up than I expected for my status planning. I have 36k MQM already with about ~1.5k MQD. I expect a trip to Europe over the winter holidays, but nothing set in stone.

Departure Airport: NYC-Metro (HPN, LGA, JFK, BDL, and would do Newark or Boston if it was worth it)
MQD Needed: $7,500
Maximum Budget:
I want to stay under $3k, but will go higher for business as needed
Available Travel Dates: Jul 3-12; but would be flexible with other dates through the rest of the year (preferably weekends, but can manage weekdays)
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Yes, preferred due to MQD need
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? Yes
July is mad expensive, perhaps a June or September Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight (V Class) to JNB? 25% of Distance as MQDs
JFK-JNB would earn 22678 MQMs 4536 MQDs 3.80 MQD Ratio

Old May 25, 22, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta MM+ DM trusted traveler, goes, Marriott, IHG SPG. NH Hyatt, Hilton
This is a. Beauty!

Thank you for finding excellent g runs ! Please keep them coming in
what are the earnings in economy select?

Old May 26, 22, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Hello all, hope you can help me maximize this work trip SAN-BCN business class for DL! Current Diamond status, trying for renew. Main question is do i book biz class ticket direct with Delta or book essentially same flight with a partner? I see most offer 40% distance flown match to MQDs, but my current ticket price is seemingly at $9255. SAN-ATL-BCN-ATL-SAN --- my take is that gives me 9,263MQD and ~19,428MQM?

Can I do better with Airfrance / KLM / Virgin Atlantic but using similar if not same flight? THANKS!!!
(Sitting at 67.7k MQMs and 1.5k MQD) I will have other work trips coming up, but not international biz class.

Departure Airport: SAN (san diego)
Destination Airport: BCN (barcelona, spain)
Miles Needed: Max (trying to maximize MQDs actually)
Required Spend or Budget: Business class ticket required via work
Available Travel Dates: July 11th required .... return July 15, 16, or 17
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Skyteam/Delta
Routes Reviewed: DL1609 + DL194 7/11/22 and DL195 + DL1068 7/16/22

Old May 27, 22, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by InFrontofU View Post
Hello all, hope you can help me maximize this work trip SAN-BCN business class for DL! Current Diamond status, trying for renew. Main question is do i book biz class ticket direct with Delta or book essentially same flight with a partner? I see most offer 40% distance flown match to MQDs, but my current ticket price is seemingly at $9255. SAN-ATL-BCN-ATL-SAN --- my take is that gives me 9,263MQD and ~19,428MQM?

Can I do better with Airfrance / KLM / Virgin Atlantic but using similar if not same flight? THANKS!!!
(Sitting at 67.7k MQMs and 1.5k MQD) I will have other work trips coming up, but not international biz class.

Departure Airport: SAN (san diego)
Destination Airport: BCN (barcelona, spain)
Miles Needed: Max (trying to maximize MQDs actually)
Required Spend or Budget: Business class ticket required via work
Available Travel Dates: July 11th required .... return July 15, 16, or 17
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Skyteam/Delta
Routes Reviewed: DL1609 + DL194 7/11/22 and DL195 + DL1068 7/16/22
Ok, I get that this is the insane summer, but close to 10K sounds just crazy for Business Class... just my two cents...
Will the employer pay ANY price? Then go with that insanity on Delta metal, since a 9400 ticket will give about 9100 MQDs, if you did a partner it's 40% of distance so on a LAX-CDG/LHR/AMS-BCN you are under 5000 MQDs..

My suggestion, TIJ-CDG is around $3600 with Aeromexico and should give 5600-5700 MQDs

Google Flights to Paris

Google Flights to London

Old May 27, 22, 11:19 am

Thanks for the suggestion ---- sadly yes they would pay it at this time and was their idea to stage the trip this time/short notice. I figured max was 40%, but did see some Airfrance seemed to hit 60%....still would likely make more sense to 'waste' the money on the delta flight. I like the TIJ idea, will see if i can take that CDG flight then add a biz leg CDG-BCN and how that may add up.

On the MQMs for the TIJ-CDG ---- it would hit the 200%? Thus i think something like 26000 MQMs vs Delta being 19200MQMs if i did that right?

Appreciate your quick help! thanks for tips

Ok, I get that this is the insane summer, but close to 10K sounds just crazy for Business Class... just my two cents...
Will the employer pay ANY price? Then go with that insanity on Delta metal, since a 9400 ticket will give about 9100 MQDs, if you did a partner it's 40% of distance so on a LAX-CDG/LHR/AMS-BCN you are under 5000 MQDs..

My suggestion, TIJ-CDG is around $3600 with Aeromexico and should give 5600-5700 MQDs

Google Flights to Paris

Google Flights to London

Old May 27, 22, 11:25 am

Thanks for the tips! I didnt think of TIJ. Essentially the 40% MQD factors in. I can check a CDG-BCN route and see what that also adds to the number noted. (Sadly yes company would pay this insane number due to short notice meeting)

MQM wise 200% applies so i'd get like 30kMQM vs 19.2k MQM on delta? (assuming TIJ-MEX-CDG-BCN route vs delta SAN-ATL-BCN)

Thanks for the help!!!

Google Flights to Paris

Google Flights to London

Search this Thread