Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] UA/AC/LH: USA to Europe Sale - Biz - $1500s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] UA/AC/LH: USA to Europe Sale - Biz - $1500s

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JAeX
I was looking into this deal but noticed a lot of flights required connections in Canada. Unless Canada relaxes their COVID restrictions before your flight, the YYZ connection may pose an issue as transit passengers are not permitted via YYZ (assuming you don't have CA citizenship). Looks like all other CA airports (YUL, YVR, etc.) are ok to transit so long as you can remain airside but I opted for flights with connections in US and EU to avoid this issue entirely.
From the link you posted, it only indicates no overnight YYZ connection. I do see a couple flights YYZ-Europe that depart same-day so I believe it should be workable. Am I misreading this?

It seems given the reduced 2021 PQP requirements, one could easily reach 1K for ~$4600 (assuming you started with any level of status and took advantage of some of the PQP bonuses).
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Nice, even better than the $2 grand nonstop from SFO to Europe that I found pre-Covid, not to mention all the deals for summer 2021 that were available before the vax rollout.

too bad this doesn’t extend into next summer, though the schedules for June 2022 are starting to come online
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by yogibearla
I just stumbled on this sale on my own today while looking for ways to get more PQP.
Is it worth it to spend ~1500 for ~4k PQP to hit gold premier with UA? I'm planning on a couple of domestic trips later this year that probably won't get me close enough.
Not sure if the Gold status is worth it over Silver given that I'm usually flying out of SFO and already have a cobranded card.
Gold is way better than Silver but I wouldn’t spend $1500 for a mileage run. If you can make a vacation of it then you will get both a comfortable flight and great status for 2022. Gold is the sweet spot but $1500 buys a lot of E+ and many credit cards now provide lounge access.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I was looking into this deal but noticed a lot of flights required connections in Canada. Unless Canada relaxes their COVID restrictions before your flight, the YYZ connection may pose an issue as transit passengers are not permitted via YYZ (assuming you don't have CA citizenship). Looks like all other CA airports (YUL, YVR, etc.) are ok to transit so long as you can remain airside but I opted for flights with connections in US and EU to avoid this issue entirely.
It was for December, of which I fully expect transit passengers to be allowed to at least transit then.

I'm seeing if I can do any better on AC.com.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I'm reading it as connections (including overnight connections) are permitted via YYZ while connections via YUL/YYC/YVR can only be done same-day.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I'm reading it as connections (including overnight connections) are permitted via YYZ while connections via YUL/YYC/YVR can only be done same-day.
That certainly seems more reasonable. Still think it's not worth the risk as a future variant could upend the trend and lead to increased restrictions.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the info. When is the ticketing deadline? In the LX website, it doesn't say. However, if I book the LX flights on United.com, then it says "TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 14JUL 21.".

Also, what are the ramifications of the total cost being entirely just the "international surcharges and taxes" minus one dollar?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brodayo
Which OTAs do you use to book? Normally I book directly through the carrier (e.g. United) but the fares seem to price out differently there. Is Expedia best, or safe to us any that are linked from Google Flights?
I would recommend booking with UA if possible. No change fees and highly functional IT which makes online rebooking pretty easy. You may need to tinker with dates/routing to get the cheapest fare from UA.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Meanwhile, I'm debating booking LAX-YYZ-VIE (~4k PQP) but I'm not convinced that the Canadian border will reopen by the end of the year. I don't think the PQP earnings are as good on LH group carriers tho.
I'm not booking through Canada due to the hassle factor. That's more important to me than accruals. From west coast, I like the LX product best overall, though UA has the best seat.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:58 pm

Unfortunately can't find any availability past major European hubs (going to Italy). Ticket fares from FRA-NAP are 300/person (also looked at FCO). If I knew I could use miles for that leg or the fare would come down would probably cancel point redemption as 3K roundtrip for two people is extremely good. edit: found availability but weighing the cost and time to position.

Last edited by ellipsicon; Jul 13, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ellipsicon
Unfortunately can't find any availability past major european hubs. Ticket fares from FRA-NAP are 300/person. If I knew I could use miles for that leg or the fare would come down would probably cancel point redemption as 3K roundtrip for two people is extremely good.
Yeah, no. It's just not major European hubs. You just aren't looking hard enough. Italy doesn't appear to be included from LAX, so who knows about other starting points
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would recommend booking with UA if possible. No change fees and highly functional IT which makes online rebooking pretty easy. You may need to tinker with dates/routing to get the cheapest fare from UA.

I'm not booking through Canada due to the hassle factor. That's more important to me than accruals. From west coast, I like the LX product best overall, though UA has the best seat.
Shouldn't you aim to book on anyone other than UA? Ideally you want a non-016 ticket to accrue per partner earnings, right? Unless you come out ahead on that way.

I actually like YYZ connections (Signature Suite), but yeah not sure about the whole entry situation come December. I'm very very tempted to book 3x which would secure me 1K, though the question is whether 1K is worth ~$4500 right now. Probably not?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Yeah, no. It's just not major European hubs. You just aren't looking hard enough. Italy doesn't appear to be included from LAX, so who knows about other starting points
Might have typed out a little too soon hah! Found availability but the cost to position to ORD (and some other hubs), and then returning to a SFO/LAX and needing another ticket (west coast based) negates the savings and starts to add travel time vs points. I'll keep playing with routes and see if I can get something to work. Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Shouldn't you aim to book on anyone other than UA? Ideally you want a non-016 ticket to accrue per partner earnings, right? Unless you come out ahead on that way.
I care much less about accruals than I do about being able to make changes for free, with no hassles. I'd much rather deal with UA than AC, LX, or LH, whether online or by phone. Example: I was able to change my existing, more expensive P fare (consisting of four segments, three on LX), online, with no issues, and even scored a $438 future flight credit. Took maybe three minutes. I'm not sure any other carrier's IT would have allowed that.

I'm very very tempted to book 3x which would secure me 1K, though the question is whether 1K is worth ~$4500 right now. Probably not?
1K is not worth $4500, but three TATL's in J sure are.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by stephem
Only Germany seems to be subject to the $1 base Fares exSeattle. Also OW and ST havent matched.

True out of SFO as well, I believe
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
True out of SFO as well, I believe
Absolutely. I booked SFO-FCO/VIE-SFO. It's also available from LAX, DEN, PHX and I suspect many other gateways.

Suggest folks search a bit harder before posting that the fare is unavailable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.