Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do airlines handle IRROPS on back to back turnarounds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Say you have a 23-hour, six-segment turnaround MR. If you double it up to go two days straight (12 segments over 47 hours), what happens if you get delayed partway through? Assuming everything’s on one ticket, will the airline shift all your remaining flights back? Or would they look at your itinerary and just have you to stay on the ground - since it’s the fastest way to get back to your current location...

If the latter, how would this relate to ORC? Would you still get credit for the part of the loop you didn’t fly?

Practically speaking, is it even possible to book 12 segments on one ticket?

I’m specifically thinking about AA/BA, but would be interested to know if other airlines would handle it differently.
Old May 8, 2021, 11:35 pm

You can request your original ticketed millage total before the IROP. At least you could do that in the past. But you added the question of what seems like multiple tickets. Other rules come into play. So I am going to add your millage or results may vary.
Old May 8, 2021, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC some airline programs will give ORC for their own flights but not for partner flights. Some carriers have published rules about how they treat IROPs over separate tickets, depending on the airlines that are involved too.

I suspect that elite status plays a role in how such situations are handled.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
You can request your original ticketed millage total before the IROP. At least you could do that in the past. But you added the question of what seems like multiple tickets. Other rules come into play. So I am going to add your millage or results may vary.
Right, I imagine if you have a separate ticket for each turnaround, and are delayed getting back to your point of origin, there’s not much you can do to avoid becoming a no-show for the second turnaround/ticket. So it seems a lot safer to fit everything into one ticket, if possible.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC some airline programs will give ORC for their own flights but not for partner flights. Some carriers have published rules about how they treat IROPs over separate tickets, depending on the airlines that are involved too.
I think you can normally get BA ORC for AA flights, I just wonder if a service rep or ticketing agent would react differently to an itinerary where you’re flying in circles?
Old May 9, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
In my experience, especially with status on various airlines. The back-end technology system will recognize delay or IRREP and automatically shift (or put you stand-by) your remaining flight segments requiring you speak to CS to correct. If a simple EWR-LAX-EWR they will shift you to a later return from LAX. But, if you have a complicated situation - it may reroute you to a simpler route which can screw up your MR so always call in and have your understanding of all flight options available. Plus, verify the person on the phone understands you aren't seeking quickest route. E.g. If you have JFK-SEA-LAS and back you LAS-SEA-JF. An IRROP will change that to landing at LAS and taking direct flight to JFK (if won't make the turn-around in LAS (even if the same airplane you arrive on) because it assumes you won't make the JFK segment from SEA.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
But, if you have a complicated situation - it may reroute you to a simpler route which can screw up your MR so always call in and have your understanding of all flight options available. Plus, verify the person on the phone understands you aren't seeking quickest route.
Makes sense. For a complicated routing it’s probably worth preparing some contingency plans / alternate flight numbers in advance, so you can adapt quickly when things go off-track.

I also imagine it’s an easier “sell” to get ORC for a segment that you eventually flew, but perhaps in a lower cabin, compared to an out-and-back that you had booked but got dropped because of delays earlier in the itinerary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.