Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone]: *A US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone]: *A US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
What you are getting stuck on is TP has never advertised fares between North America and Europe at 299 EUR. All the carrier has posted is a promotion of its executive class from (starting at) 299 EUR. You do realize TP fly routes other than between North America and Europe w/ executive class, right?
What you're completely glossing over is the fact that they sold the fare at this price. And this coupled with the advertisement that says "Until March 2nd, book your medium or long-haul flight in our Executive Class from 299€ roundtrip" makes perfect sense. It isn't as though they said book shorthaul only. long haul from 299 coupled with a fare at that price that is bookable - how else does a consumer read that?

If someone was arguing with TAP that they have this ad up but they can't find any fares for 299, then yes your point of "You do realize TP fly routes other than between North America and Europe w/ executive class, right?" makes sense. But TAP sold a fare that falls perfectly inside their ad campaign. Is it now my responsibility to check every long haul route to ensure that the price must be for something else? I don't care what other longhaul routes TAP flies - not the job of a consumer to run airline pricing for them.

To recap, I'm not asking for TAP to change their prices to match the ad so I can book it. I'm saying they should honor what they sold as it matches BOTH what they advertised AND what they actually sold.
jfkeze, mcdullhk88, fridgy and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eneq
I'm in the same boat. I'll be giving Expedia a call tomorrow when I have more time. I'm going to give TAP one chance to give me a refund. If they resist, I'll file a charge back.
I booked directly with TAP using my CSR credit card. Charge was pending for a few days but now has posted. Will see what happens.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
What you're completely glossing over is the fact that they sold the fare at this price.
I didn't gloss over anything, but if you want to hold a grudge over an honest mistake/error in its fare rule, and take TP to court, go for it!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't gloss over anything, but if you want to hold a grudge over an honest mistake/error in its fare rule, and take TP to court, go for it!
Sure you did. And your choice of "grudge" and "honest mistake" indicates an emotional response. Why are you ascribing motives without knowing (or if you do, then it isn't objective)

Regardless, this isn't a grudge or anything else. It is simply asking for a contract entered to be honored.
jfkeze and s777bg like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Sure you did. And your choice of "grudge" and "honest mistake" indicates an emotional response. Why are you ascribing motives without knowing (or if you do, then it isn't objective)

Regardless, this isn't a grudge or anything else. It is simply asking for a contract entered to be honored.
I have participated in many of these mistake/error fares to know you win some, and you lose some. I don't walk into any of these fares expecting much, so if airlines pull them, and as long as I have been made whole (refund), I'd move on. Life is too short to be getting worked over on these kind of things, but that's just me lah.
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Got one for less and one for more. Point is, both are within a reasonable margin of advertised price, so one cannot expect a consumer to say 299 is acceptable but 279 is not.
For those of us who booked from the west coast, the base fare was higher. In my case, $420 or ~€350.

So while one might be able to argue that 279 wasn't intended, I certainly can't see that argument working if your ticket was more than 299.

Small claims might be fun, and I'm tempted, but I'll give it a week.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:06 pm

I cannot imagine how it would be legal for TAP to advertise (mistake or not) business class for $300, immediately cancel the tickets (not the flights), then offer a voucher instead of a refund.
I say that because many booked through travel agencies like Expedia, Priceline... And they are not under DOT regulation where they must refund in case of "significant" changes or cancellation.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by igorjrr
I cannot imagine how it would be legal for TAP to advertise (mistake or not) business class for $300, immediately cancel the tickets (not the flights), then offer a voucher instead of a refund.
I say that because many booked through travel agencies like Expedia, Priceline... And they are not under DOT regulation where they must refund in case of "significant" changes or cancellation.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Except TAP never advertised business class tickets between North America and Europe for $300 (or 299 EUR) in the first place. Availability =/= advertisement/offer.

That said, the carrier should do the right thing and refund those cancelled fares.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except TAP never advertised business class tickets between North America and Europe for $300 (or 299 EUR) in the first place. Availability =/= advertisement/offer.

That said, the carrier should do the right thing and refund those cancelled fares.
Haha. Please.

They advertised something that this fare fits perfectly into. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to argue that USA-EU doesn't count under a promo saying "longhaul starting at 299"
fridgy likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haha. Please.

They advertised something that this fare fits perfectly into. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to argue that USA-EU doesn't count under a promo saying "longhaul starting at 299"
How about post it in full instead of selective edit to fit your narrative, "book your medium or long-haul flight in our Executive Class from 299 roundtrip".

Says you can get its executive class starting at 299, and nothing definitive about USA-EU. You know what's definitive? it clearly states on the corresponding link: USA-EU = 1,499 USD
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about post it in full instead of selective edit to fit your narrative, "book your medium or long-haul flight in our Executive Class from 299 roundtrip".

Says you can get its executive class starting at 299, and nothing definitive about USA-EU. You know what's definitive? it clearly states on the corresponding link: USA-EU = 1,499 USD
Mental gymnastics.

Nothing else would make sense to argue that USA-EU doesn't fit into "medium or long-haul flight in our Executive Class from 299 roundtrip".

USA-EU : medium or longhaul (depending on east coast or ORD/MIA)
Class: Executive
Price: starting at 299

And yet, we should somehow not expect this to be valid.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mental gymnastics.

Nothing else would make sense to argue that USA-EU doesn't fit into "medium or long-haul flight in our Executive Class from 299 roundtrip".

USA-EU : medium or longhaul (depending on east coast or ORD/MIA)
Class: Executive
Price: starting at 299

And yet, we should somehow not expect this to be valid.
Airlines don't classify USA-EU as medium haul.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines don't classify USA-EU as medium haul.
Ok
​​​​
And what about longhaul? Whoops.

I've never seen such wilfull blindness in my life except for some Airbus and Boeing fanboys on airliners.net

Last edited by Antarius; Mar 6, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok
​​​​
And what about longhaul? Whoops.

It's clear that you have some affiliation with TAP or something. I've never seen such wilfull blindness in my life except for some Airbus and Boeing fanboys on airliners.net
Marketing 101, Please study before you take your case to court.

I am affiliated with TAP now? Really? Any other unfounded conclusion you would like to get off your chest now?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marketing 101, Please study before you take your case to court.

I am affiliated with TAP now? Really? Any other unfounded conclusion you would like to get off your chest now?
Given you opened this with silly emotional responses like "grudge" and keep arguing tired old points that have been debunked by English, it's a logical conclusion that you have skin in the game.

No one else is that incapable of reading.
s777bg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.