FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   UA/Star Alliance: 2021 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/2031658-ua-star-alliance-2021-consolidated-mileage-status-challenge-runs-help-needed.html)

Pat89339 Jan 2, 2021 12:19 am

UA/Star Alliance: 2021 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

On behalf to the Mileage Run Moderator team, I would like to express our thanks to the many FlyerTalkers who have risen to the challenge and helped so many members with their helpful suggestions.

‘Please follow the instructions for posting in this thread which can be found in the wiki. DO NOT CREATE A NEW THREAD

These consolidates threads made managing the year end traffic much smoother.

Hopefully, all were successful with their runs.

Pat89339 on behalf of the Mileage Run Moderator team

DIM Jun 12, 2021 11:47 am

Any advice on PQF run from WAS?

Hi to all, this thread was a lifesaver in a past. And its a little bit strange to see it empty and to start it this year in June.
Anyway.
Any advice about PQF run from any WAS airport, please? Need segments to requalify for 1K (the idea is to reach it by PQF+reduced number of PQD) and looking for an inexpensive (preferably domestic) ticket in economy with as many connections as possible.

Departure Airport: WAS (maybe NYC)
Miles (PQF/PQP/BIS, choose one) Needed: PQF
Maximum Budget: $500
Available Travel Dates: anytime until the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Yes
Route(s) You've Already Searched: WAS-BQN-WAS (this famous route thru IAH+JFKand back from 2019 thread is still alive lol)
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No

DELee Jun 14, 2021 7:59 pm

Calling Kmxu !

David

DELee Jun 14, 2021 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by DIM (Post 33323409)
Hi to all, this thread was a lifesaver in a past. And its a little bit strange to see it empty and to start it this year in June.
Anyway.
Any advice about PQF run from any WAS airport, please? Need segments to requalify for 1K (the idea is to reach it by PQF+reduced number of PQD) and looking for an inexpensive (preferably domestic) ticket in economy with as many connections as possible.

Departure Airport: WAS (maybe NYC)
Miles (PQF/PQP/BIS, choose one) Needed: PQF
Maximum Budget: $500
Available Travel Dates: anytime until the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Yes
Route(s) You've Already Searched: WAS-BQN-WAS (this famous route thru IAH+JFKand back from 2019 thread is still alive lol)

Uh, how many PQFs are you trying to fit into $500?

David

Repooc17 Jun 14, 2021 9:01 pm

There were some really good MR potentials in the beginning of the year (and last year). $500 could have netted you around 10 segments then; but at present time, you may be hard pressed to get more than 3 or 4 segments, especially with the summer travel season heating up and still limited capacity (demand > supply on many domestic routes). Also, United had done away with basic economy (BE) upfare for many of its routes then; but now they are back. BE fares do not earn PQFs.

DELee Jun 15, 2021 12:23 am

Poking around in Google Flights for non-BE fares, 07/13/21 has a one way BWI-ORD-SLC-LAX on UA for $253. Don't know what your appetite is for when you'd want to return (e.g. stop for a day or immediately get on more planes for WAS).

On 09/11/21, you could take IAD-DEN-LAX-SFO for $202 - departs @ 0520.

On 07/28/21, there's DCA-ORD-FAI-ANC for $170 - departs @ 0645.

There are cheaper 1 stops later in the summer but that doesn't help your interest in PQFs.

Going back to WAS-BQN if you're vax'd and Puerto Rico will let you transit, there's a one way BWI-ORD-EWR-BQN for $157 on 10/26/21.

David

eldy Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm

Departure Airport: FAT or LAX if the deals are there
Miles (PQF/PQP/BIS, choose one) Needed: 3598 PQP
Maximum Budget: Open
Available Travel Dates: Mostly open
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: *A
Route(s) You've Already Searched: Premium transcon FAT,SFO,EWR FAT,LAX,EWR

I've looked only at premium transcon flights but that's only giving me .92 PQP per $1 spend with taxes and fees. Haven't looked into *A so I have no idea where to start but I did stumble upon a thread a few days ago where someone flew and got ~1000 PQP for $470 spend. It was an international trip and unfortunately I can't find the post again. I have Platinum status now going for 1K.

DELee Jun 17, 2021 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by eldy (Post 33337026)
Departure Airport: FAT or LAX if the deals are there
Miles (PQF/PQP/BIS, choose one) Needed: 3598 PQP
Maximum Budget: Open
Available Travel Dates: Mostly open
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: *A
Route(s) You've Already Searched: Premium transcon FAT,SFO,EWR FAT,LAX,EWR

I've looked only at premium transcon flights but that's only giving me .92 PQP per $1 spend with taxes and fees. Haven't looked into *A so I have no idea where to start but I did stumble upon a thread a few days ago where someone flew and got ~1000 PQP for $470 spend. It was an international trip and unfortunately I can't find the post again. I have Platinum status now going for 1K.

Something like this? Lx/lh/*a: Sfo-mad/bcn $1655

David

eldy Jun 17, 2021 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33337408)
Something like this? Lx/lh/*a: Sfo-mad/bcn $1655

David

Thanks!

Yeah something like that. Do you have any idea where to find or how to hunt for fare sales myself? That particular itinerary has gone up to $3500 and the whole trip is two weeks. I'm looking for a night or two maximum stay.

DELee Jun 17, 2021 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by eldy (Post 33337517)
Thanks!

Yeah something like that. Do you have any idea where to find or how to hunt for fare sales myself? That particular itinerary has gone up to $3500 and the whole trip is two weeks. I'm looking for a night or two maximum stay.

Well a bunch of folks are trying to figure this out over in the UA Forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...l#post33326150

Thread is: Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

David

Kmxu Jun 23, 2021 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33329145)
Calling Kmxu !

David

I am semi-retired on MR front after reaching 3MMs, but still interested in low fares. 😀😀
As far as OP’s PQF run is concerned, do not start from IAD; drive to BWI or RIC for (multiple) connection flights with same-day change potential. Look for Fall fares in late July/August. It is just too early to get the low fares for PQF runs. In previous years, RIC-BOS had very low fares on UA because of competition from B6 and AA on this route (they offered non stops). The key is to just keep looking by plugging all possible city pairs on Google flight. Good luck.
4PQFs from DCA-RDU for $151.
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...VT0SBggBEAAYAA

DIM Jun 24, 2021 6:46 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33329149)
Uh, how many PQFs are you trying to fit into $500?

David

As many as possible. Found 6 segment in September/October for 300+: 3 on one way+3 on the way back, old trick to BQN. An idea was to find something better and without the night stay at the final destination.

Kmxu Jun 24, 2021 7:50 am

Originally Posted by DIM (Post 33353164)
As many as possible. Found 6 segment in September/October for 300+: 3 on one way+3 on the way back, old trick to BQN. An idea was to find something better and without the night stay at the final destination.

why do you want to deal with red eye flights? You can do much shorter flights.

milehighmel Jun 24, 2021 11:50 am

MR/Status advice needed please

Hello,
I need some MR advice. I haven't flown anywhere since Oct 2019. Usually would fly to SYD and FRA each year and several domestic trips in between. I am also 45,000 away from being a million miler. As I cannot go to Oz this year due to restrictions and FRA may also be off the table, looking for recommendations to either keep my Gold or get to Million miler. Do you recommend a few MR?
Departure Airport:BOS OR PWM
Miles (PQF/PQP/BIS, choose one) Needed: 3250 PQP 16 PQF
Maximum Budget: $3000
Available Travel Dates: Open till November
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched: I don't even know where to start!

Kmxu Jun 24, 2021 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by milehighmel (Post 33353954)
Hello,
I need some MR advice. I haven't flown anywhere since Oct 2019. Usually would fly to SYD and FRA each year and several domestic trips in between. I am also 45,000 away from being a million miler. As I cannot go to Oz this year due to restrictions and FRA may also be off the table, looking for recommendations to either keep my Gold or get to Million miler. Do you recommend a few MR?
Departure Airport:BOS OR PWM
Miles (PQF/PQP/BIS, choose one) Needed: 3250 PQP 16 PQF
Maximum Budget: $3000
Available Travel Dates: Open till November
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched: I don't even know where to start!

Look at post #10 above and links. The best approach is to fly the lowest business fare on non-016 (non UA stock) such as Air Canada. I do not know how many PQP you will earn for BOS-IST (1.5 x distance / 5) for a $2553 fare below; my estimate is about 3180 PQP. I could be wrong on this number. Another question is whether or not you can transit through YUL and CDG with this Itinery. There is also a cost for COVID-19 tests. This run does not help you to achieve the MM status. For domestic runs, the cost will be close to $4000 for 3250 PQP. Another possibility is to live with the Silver status and achieve the MM status organically. That is, save the money for this year!
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...fu=EgYIARAAGAA