Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] DL: JFK-GRU Business $479

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] DL: JFK-GRU Business $479

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by maverikbc
On Sat., I received an email about my outbound DL 471 schedule change for May; leaving 1h40m later, arriving 1h20m later.

The link for rebooking, any dates tried, including the day after my original departure date, it reprices.
Mine wouldn't even let me search. Rather a message came along the lines of, "Please call in for a search because your itinerary had a schedule change."
Old Mar 20, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
How online rebooking works with schedule changes

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Mine wouldn't even let me search. Rather a message came along the lines of, "Please call in for a search because your itinerary had a schedule change."
My revised flight JFK-GRU on 5/4 got canceled. I didn't receive any email about this, and I found out only when I called today to see if I could move to much later.

The rep told me it was canceled, and she could rebook only within 2 days of the original booking dates without repricing. I had to rearrange my positioning flights, so I told her that I'd think about rebooking date, she said she had to book the replacement date to end our call, she told me I could call back and I can still rebook without repricing within a range of 2 days from my original booking dates.

While I was on hold for more than 2 hours (when I talked to her this morning, the wait was less than half an hour), I decided to try rebooking online. Here's what I found:
* What she told me was true: the system allows me to rebook within 2 days of the original booking dates, but when I try to book much later or even 4-5 days later or earlier, I get exactly the same error message you got and told to call.
* My inbound was schedule changed only by 3 minutes (yes, 3 minutes), but it allowed me to change within 2 days from that original booking date. I suspect that even if only one of directions got affected, we can change both directions for free.
* The rep temporarily rebooked me when I called, it seemed it widened the free rebooking range. The 5/1 is 3 days from the original booking date, but within 2 days from that placeholder, so it allowed me to rebook on 5/1. See attached screenshot.
* It said 0 available at this price, but I was able to complete rebooking.

futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:02 pm

My revised flight JFK-GRU on 5/4 got canceled. I didn't receive any email about this, and I found out only when I called today to see if I could move to much later.

The rep told me it was canceled, and she could rebook only within 2 days of the original booking dates without repricing. I had to rearrange my positioning flights, so I told her that I'd think about rebooking date, she said she had to book the replacement date to end our call, she told me I could call back and I can still rebook without repricing within a range of 2 days from my original booking dates.

While I was on hold for more than 2 hours (when I talked to her this morning, the wait was less than half an hour), I decided to try rebooking online. Here's what I found:
* What she told me was true: the system allows me to rebook within 2 days of the original booking dates, but when I try to book much later or even 4-5 days later or earlier, I get exactly the same error message you got and told to call.
* My inbound was schedule changed only by 3 minutes (yes, 3 minutes), but it allowed me to change within 2 days from that original booking date. I suspect that even if only one of directions got affected, we can change both directions for free.
* The rep temporarily rebooked me when I called, it seemed it widened the free rebooking range. The 5/1 is 3 days from the original booking date, but within 2 days from that placeholder, so it allowed me to rebook on 5/1. See attached screenshot.
* It said 0 available at this price, but I was able to complete rebooking.
Interesting, thanks for the insight! Indeed I searched beyond two days, which is probably why I got that message. Btw, kinda tricky that you had to pick some date to even end the call. Often, airline IT (and/or rep training) doesn't seem good enough that their suggestions/instructions end up being true. E.g. "You can call in anytime and rebook."

Do you think you'll actually go in May given the current circumstances with everything?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I got schedule changed by a day and wanted to move by more than the 2 days they allowed. It was impossible to get anyone from DL on the phone. I tried their "call you back" functionality which said I had to wait about 3 hours. They finally called back .. at 1am, almost 8 hours later. Not fun. After that I tried twitter ... was told they only do text messages, tried that ... and it took a bit to get to the queue to actually communicate with a person. I waited a while, but they eventually just canceled / refunded without any question. At least they did nt give me a hard time about getting the $ back.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Btw, kinda tricky that you had to pick some date to even end the call. Often, airline IT (and/or rep training) doesn't seem good enough that their suggestions/instructions end up being true. E.g. "You can call in anytime and rebook."

Do you think you'll actually go in May given the current circumstances with everything?
My rep ended up 100% correct, I just wish she told me I could rebook this online, and their web site would tell details of rebooking policy due to schedule changes (i.e.within 2 days before or after the original travel date).

My positioning flights got cancelled and auto rebooked by them recently, so I'm happy that everything is fixed....for now. I originally booked my positioning flights to and from JFK, but they suspended the route, so I had to change to and from LGA. It seems like it's an industry standard that they need all segments be confirmed when making changes to the ticket.

I'm not a US resident, so unless Biden removes the entry restriction from Brazil by April, I won't go. I'm still unsure how I can prepare covid tests one for US and another for Brazil as I guess my total travel time between my home airport and GRU it'll be around 40 hours.

I thought I should fix my itinerary while I still can, it seems like I've been calling airlines every other weekends to rebook....
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:13 am

I'm still unsure how I can prepare covid tests one for US and another for Brazil as I guess my total travel time between my home airport and GRU it'll be around 40 hours.
IIRC, the US offers a testing window of three calendar days pre-flight, and Brazil offers a testing window of 72 hours pre-flight. In the unlikely event you end up flying these, a test prior to the repositioning itinerary should be sufficient?

I thought I should fix my itinerary while I still can, it seems like I've been calling airlines every other weekends to rebook....
Ugh, yeah. Tell me about it.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Given how much of the near future schedule is mostly placeholder, I have stopped booking flights beyond the firm schedule period. The only exception to this rule: fares like these

Anyway, my original outbound flight has been cancelled, and Delta has moved me up by a day. I don't think I can make my schedule work, so I'd likely need to cancel the trip in its entirety. Oh well.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

For those that have traveled in 2021 on this fare, what was the experience like?
Haven’t seen many sharing their successful experiences on this fare. I also have a question about same day returns in GRU.
I went for a long weekend in late February. Delta One cabins were about a third full with a handful of nonrevs added at the last minute. I was not able to get a boarding pass until arrival at JFK (they needed to review my negative covid test to issue) but I was able to check a bag through before my positioning flight. No issues getting lounge access without the BP in NY. The LATAM lounge in GRU on the return was great. Meager F&B offerings but the space was huge and nearly empty.
I have a second rt scheduled in two weeks. Of course the covid situation in SP and Rio has gotten very dire in the last few weeks. I can alter my return online to come back the same evening I arrive and make this a true MR.
Does anyone have any experience lately with not entering Brazil and staying in terminal 3 at GRU for a return flight 12 hours later? There are nice lounges and the airside Wyndham. The posts I’m finding are very old. Figuring someone must have tried this with the DL and AA deals this winter...
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcjono
Haven’t seen many sharing their successful experiences on this fare. I also have a question about same day returns in GRU.
I went for a long weekend in late February. Delta One cabins were about a third full with a handful of nonrevs added at the last minute. I was not able to get a boarding pass until arrival at JFK (they needed to review my negative covid test to issue) but I was able to check a bag through before my positioning flight. No issues getting lounge access without the BP in NY. The LATAM lounge in GRU on the return was great. Meager F&B offerings but the space was huge and nearly empty.
I have a second rt scheduled in two weeks. Of course the covid situation in SP and Rio has gotten very dire in the last few weeks. I can alter my return online to come back the same evening I arrive and make this a true MR.
Does anyone have any experience lately with not entering Brazil and staying in terminal 3 at GRU for a return flight 12 hours later? There are nice lounges and the airside Wyndham. The posts I’m finding are very old. Figuring someone must have tried this with the DL and AA deals this winter...
12 hours is a long time at the airport. If at least restaurants are open then you can go to Mocotó which is close by! Highly recommended. Otherwise I think they extended the lockdown for two more weeks today.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I was at GRU for a little over 6 hours (early) last year, and was bored out of my mind. Midnight flight; 4pm hotel checkout; carry-ons only.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
For those that have been in Sao Paulo, is it any different than being cautious in USA? Everyone says it's so dire, but if you wear your mask, hand sanitize, avoid indoor gatherings/dining, shouldn't it be safe to walk around masked outside in a park, for example? I really don't want to cancel mine (late May), and I booked through Priceline (ugh, to get the exact fare), which makes changing it even more cumbersome.

I was originally going to go to Recife, but now may just stay in Sao Paulo to avoid too much extra movement. Or maybe I will just change it to a one night stay and do the Wyndham in the airport. With the recent 75% MQM/MQD bonus on J tickets, this is just too hard to pass up. I would isolate upon return to USA (even tho I am fully vaccinated) out of precaution anyway.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Booked with AA for May. AA just cut May schedule from New York down to 3 direct flights per week and my return flight was changed to a transfer in Miami. Was hoping to take the chance and change the booking to October without paying extra, but both chat and call agent say out of the 24 hour window would be an voluntary change and the fare difference apply. But since AA canceled the original flight Both said now I’m eligible for a refund instead of cancel and get AA credit if I chose not to fly. Still prefer to change to October tho.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone with DL schedule changes and being reaccommodated...did you book via DL? I booked mine via Priceline as I couldn't get it to ticket via DL, but we all know how awful OTAs can be. I am just sure they will be a 3-hour long phone call with no positive outcome. Just curious if the schedule change ends up giving the airline control of the ticket instead of the OTA?
Old May 2, 2021, 9:35 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Looks like Delta has canceled all JFK-GRU direct flights for the months of May and June.
Old May 2, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Looks like Delta has canceled all JFK-GRU direct flights for the months of May and June.
Not surprised. A FTer reported only a dozen or so pax on a recent flight, and everyone got to experience D1

Meanwhile, DL is trying to send me an e-credit instead of refunds. I will keep the pressure; although it's really difficult to get through to a live person at DL atm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.