Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone]: IB/LA Business: BUD - GRU/SDU €400 RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone]: IB/LA Business: BUD - GRU/SDU €400 RT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:11 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Just wondered why you would pay with VISA through Paypal. Maybe I missed a trick!

Paying from a cash balance on Paypal I can just about understand, but putting an intermediary between Visa and the merchant seems to muddy the waters to no advantage: so maybe I missed something.
In some cases, people could not pay via CC, because the site would crash. What i don't understand is why some people booked via OTA's. As much as i love these flash sales, adding and OTA to the equation is just asking for trouble because the risk of cancellation is so high.
nldogbert likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Deckter
In some cases, people could not pay via CC, because the site would crash. What i don't understand is why some people booked via OTA's. As much as i love these flash sales, adding and OTA to the equation is just asking for trouble because the risk of cancellation is so high.
@IAN-UK this was indeed the situation, since the LATAM site is so badly done and lottery by itself in getting it to work, during my transaction it choked on the option for direct CC payment, so I had to go via PayPal.
At least my other ticket booked via expedia - the agent did tell me that I would still get $$ back (same duration as per what LATAM stated too). Therefore luckily so far this time around the OTA did not post too much problems/complications.

Cheers!
Deckter likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Did anyone manage to pay directly on the LATAM site, without using paypal? I tried for hours and this was the main problem, direct Visa payments weren't going through.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nldogbert
@IAN-UK this was indeed the situation, since the LATAM site is so badly done and lottery by itself in getting it to work, during my transaction it choked on the option for direct CC payment, so I had to go via PayPal.

OK- got it! I was puzzled because Paypal is so far out of my mind for paying for anything outside Ebay

I'm feeling quite smug because it looks as though they are not picking up my VISA payment, just leaving it in the pending box until it lapses.

It's a shame this went belly-up: looks like my trip to a family get-together in Brasil will be in economy-class - but I can promise, NOT in LATAM economy-class
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by englisha
Did anyone manage to pay directly on the LATAM site, without using paypal? I tried for hours and this was the main problem, direct Visa payments weren't going through.
I have, used Mastercard credit card, it went surprisingly smoothly. Booked on latam.com/en_un/
Friends tried to use MC debit, failed on first attempt, but then they also managed.

But I also got cancellation email yesterday, lets see how long the refund process will take
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:08 am

I called Expedia this morning and the agent told med that Latam had already refunded the payment, but because the refund is from another country it could take up to 30 days before the money would be back in my credit card account.
Well, I don't mind too much as long as I get the refund. It's always a bit of luck with these fares, there is always a chance you will end up giving the airline an interest free loan.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
On app yes, my MC Credit went through, received PNR, two other payments were off, pushed me back to main site however it is "pending" on my statement...lol
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I paid with a Visa credit card but the charge was always pending. I received the cancellation email this morning.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I think the charge pending has just about everyone else who didn't use crappy Revolut or something similar. It made me think the refund might be way quicker but we will see. It was nice game tho.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:32 am

What i don't understand is why some people booked via OTA's.
Because OTA's were ticketing bookings for the promotional price while the LATAM site crashed.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
Because OTA's were ticketing bookings for the promotional price while the LATAM site crashed.
...and some people think the "fun" of dealing with Expedia is easier than dealing with LATAM direct

Personally I booked with Expedia to avoid currency fluctuation on any refund, because I couldn't get LATAM to price the ticket on the site of my home country. I certainly do not enjoy dealing with any OTA and usually avoid them.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, through the LATAM US webpage. Paid with MC in USD. At first the payment didn't go through, but after using the link to "reservation payment" the it went through and ticket issued immediately.

Last edited by SK AAR; Sep 18, 2020 at 9:37 am
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by danam
Personally I booked with Expedia to avoid currency fluctuation on any refund, because I couldn't get LATAM to price the ticket on the site of my home country. I certainly do not enjoy dealing with any OTA and usually avoid them.
I'm in the same boat/for the same reason I used Exp. The subsequent tickets I purchased directly with LATAM (in foreign currency).
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I would say that what LATAM told you is the true status of the ticket. What better source than the airline itself?
Not always. Those of us who booked the KQ error fare to ADD last year received messages from the airline about a filing error and that we would have to downgrade to Y. In the end the tickets were flown in J.....
so it could be that by booking through an OTA, we will be able to fly the fare.
thoughts?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:56 am

[QUOTE=HalconBCN;32684612
so it could be that by booking through an OTA, we will be able to fly the fare.
thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I wish it was the case. But as we can read in this thread the tickets were cancelled regardless of selling channel. Status of my tickets bought via OTA is still confirmed but this can be just a very short-lived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.