Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone planning/doing/done an MR to HKG in the COVID Era?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN

I see that HKG has begun permitting transit passengers as of 01-JUN. They have also allowed a transit window of up to 24 hours as long as the transiting pax has their onward BP. This allows for more MR potential than their original 8-hour rule.

Looking at an MR now from the US to HKG and back with a same-day, 10-hour turn. Would like to book it, but am worried about being denied boarding in the US because the final destination is technically HKG. Also worried about getting onward BPs in the US, although I’ve gotten them before on similar trips. Is anyone else planning to do an MR (or have done one) similar to this? If there won’t be trouble upon check-in, I’ll probably go ahead and book it.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You'll need to have your your return boarding passes printed in the US too:

From 15 June 2020, passengers can use HKIA for transit/transfer on flights operated by different airlines under the same air ticket, provided that the passengers have checked through at the origin port with their boarding passes printed and baggage tagged-through to the final destination. Passengers should also confirm in advance that they are able to enter the final destination. Please check with airlines for details.
But I don't know what they will do when they see a return ticket. If they deny you entry, then you're flying back anyways.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by kevflyer
You'll need to have your your return boarding passes printed in the US too:

But I don't know what they will do when they see a return ticket. If they deny you entry, then you're flying back anyways.
Feeling more confident at HKG, as I will be following all their rules per the CX website. However, I am worried about checking in at a US airport.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Did you call AA? I don't know if the airlines themselves know. Also I heard of reports saying some airlines let passengers who weren't eligible to transit in HKG board. I don't know what happened to those pax once they arrived at HKG.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I seriously don't know...what OP is thinking.

If OP's profile is correct, AA extends OP's EXP until 2022. So MR is not practical in this year, unless OP is now a nobody.

Also - OP is not transiting in all definitions. Instead, OP elects to stay within the transit area (which in fact is the departure area).

Most of the CX lounges are closed as well...

I simply don't know why OP has to make this trip at all...
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: M&M
They would deny checking you in at the US port since you're flying US-HKG-US. According to int'l law and aviation laws (both, separately) you aren't allowed to transit HKG on such a ticket. Technically they also won't be able to check you in for the HKG-US leg and thus you would not have an onward boarding pass.

To echo the previous poster,not sure what you were thinking here.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Starwood Gold
Understand (and agree with) the cautions being advised but does anyone know if one would be able to obtain one's onward boarding pass at one of the transfer desks at HKG?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by garykung
I simply don't know why OP has to make this trip at all...
A couple of possibilities:
- boredom
- entitlement
- appearing cool on the forum
fotographer and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
why go all that way.... just to turn around and come back? ok so you need the miles/dollar spend...
I would love to go back to HK... but I have a feeling that it wont be the same HK that I have fond memories of
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Flying all the way to HKG, not entering and coming directly back? Not a chance.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
What is the purpose of the trip ?

I’ve had intense periods of flying withdrawal that come and go. They can last up to 24 hrs.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
May I add....
Why would you want to sit in a cabin for 12+ hours (hopefully in a mask) exposing yourself to possible infection for the minuscule returns that you would be accruing.

There are several definitions of insanity, and this seems like one of them to me :
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I suppose one could earn some extra SWUs. Other than that the trip makes no sense except as just something to do.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:23 am

Regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, the last time I did something similar I traveled LAX-HKG-DFW and was able to get the HKG-DFW boarding pass at LAX. No guarantee that may work in your situation so YMMV....
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by maxwell109
Understand (and agree with) the cautions being advised but does anyone know if one would be able to obtain one's onward boarding pass at one of the transfer desks at HKG?
I highly doubt it. The "second segment," i.e. the return segment, is more than 24 hours from the initial check-in. IMHO - the BP will be available only after the initial flight departs.

Originally Posted by fotographer
why go all that way.... just to turn around and come back? ok so you need the miles/dollar spend...
I doubt it...AA extends OP's purported EXP already...unless OP is a nobody, contrary to what he has claimed...

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, the last time I did something similar I traveled LAX-HKG-DFW and was able to get the HKG-DFW boarding pass at LAX. No guarantee that may work in your situation so YMMV....
Out of curiosity, what was your turn around time between LAX-HKG and HKG-DFW?
fotographer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.