Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] AC: UA-Australia from mid $300s

[FARE GONE] AC: UA-Australia from mid $300s

Old Apr 9, 20, 1:57 pm

Has anyone actually seen the fare refunded on their credit card yet? The original charge from AC showed as pending for a few days, and then the charge went through. I'm not sure what that means...
Old Apr 9, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
My flight was booked through AC for Jan -Feb 2021. Posted charge several days ago. Refund hit today. ☹️
Old Apr 10, 20, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by petersw View Post
Has anyone actually seen the fare refunded on their credit card yet? The original charge from AC showed as pending for a few days, and then the charge went through. I'm not sure what that means...
Same thing here, but refund just showed up.

Is there some reasonable avenue to file a complaint? Or maybe even possibly get some compensation? It seems silly that we get 24 hours to cancel but they can take days. What's to stop airlines from having future "sales" and then pulling the tickets if demand was higher than expected?
Old Apr 10, 20, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shadoworb View Post
Same thing here, but refund just showed up.

Is there some reasonable avenue to file a complaint? Or maybe even possibly get some compensation? It seems silly that we get 24 hours to cancel but they can take days. What's to stop airlines from having future "sales" and then pulling the tickets if demand was higher than expected?
Compensation? You have been made whole.
Old Apr 10, 20, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Compensation? You have been made whole.
I had to book a separate positioning flight and I'm not exactly thrilled about getting even more airline credit.
Old Apr 10, 20, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
I had to book a separate positioning flight and I'm not exactly thrilled about getting even more airline credit.
I am sorry but that's on you. Whether it's positioning flights, or prepaid accommodations, patience is the key. Personally, I don't even book positioning flights until at least within a month of departure, most of times much closer to departure; lodging generally within a week of departure, sometime even on the day of. Yes, airline credits is certainly not as good as refunds, but hey, your cancel fee got waived on the positioning flight, right?
Old Apr 10, 20, 10:55 am

I am sorry but that's on you. Whether it's positioning flights, or prepaid accommodations, patience is the key. Personally, I don't even book positioning flights until at least within a month of departure, most of times much closer to departure; lodging generally within a week of departure, sometime even on the day of. Yes, airline credits is certainly not as good as refunds, but hey, your cancel fee got waived on the positioning flight, right?
Yeah...I guess hard lesson learned for next time. Pretty hesitant about booking deals posted on this forum now.

I booked positioning flights early since this was going to be around the holidays and plane tickets tend to get pretty crazy that close before departure.

I just feel kind of burned for AC to turn around and be like oh whoops it was a fare pricing mistake. I figured it was just a good sale given the massive drop off in travel this year.
Old Apr 10, 20, 12:28 pm

Yeah...I guess hard lesson learned for next time. Pretty hesitant about booking deals posted on this forum now.

I booked positioning flights early since this was going to be around the holidays and plane tickets tend to get pretty crazy that close before departure.

I just feel kind of burned for AC to turn around and be like oh whoops it was a fare pricing mistake. I figured it was just a good sale given the massive drop off in travel this year.
If it is a good deal and works in your situation, you should not hesitate to book deals posted here. That said, you need to understand there are always potential risks, such as airline pulling the fare (as it is the case here), or airlines posting schedule changes, which could potentially invalidate your positioning flights.

Just be glad you have received your refund. I am still waiting for refunds from AC - it's been more than a month now, and in the amount of thousands of dollars.
Old Apr 10, 20, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
File a DOT complaint for the costs of the separate positioning flight.
Old Apr 10, 20, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
File a DOT complaint for the costs of the separate positioning flight.
Beg DOT to ask AC to cover for the cost of positioning flights? With all due respect, that's a lot time wasted on all parties assuming DOT acts on it.

AC has already made the other poster (and others) whole, and the other poster has received flight credit for future travels on positioning flights. What more is there to ask for?
Old Apr 10, 20, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Beg DOT to ask AC to cover for the cost of positioning flights? With all due respect, that's a lot time wasted on all parties assuming DOT acts on it.

AC has already made the other poster (and others) whole, and the other poster has received flight credit for future travels on positioning flights. What more is there to ask for?
Not sure the poster has cancelled the positioning flight. If the poster hasn't, DOT policy is that AC is supposed to refund costs related to a mistake fare, like positioning flights or hotels. I also don't think this AC ticket should qualify as a mistake fare, frankly.
chronicrelief likes this.
Old Apr 10, 20, 3:11 pm

If it is a good deal and works in your situation, you should not hesitate to book deals posted here. That said, you need to understand there are always potential risks, such as airline pulling the fare (as it is the case here), or airlines posting schedule changes, which could potentially invalidate your positioning flights.

Just be glad you have received your refund. I am still waiting for refunds from AC - it's been more than a month now, and in the amount of thousands of dollars.
Yeah that's a good approach. In this case, it just didn't seem like a super obvious price error (like first/biz tickets selling for a fraction of the price), so I thought I was safe. Especially since it had been well over 24 hours. A schedule change wouldn't be nearly as annoying since there's still options available like a SDC on the positioning flight. But if the flight is just cancelled, not a whole lot you can do besides cancellation.

Reading about the customer service responses and the lawsuits against AC though, I guess I am pretty glad that at least they gave me the refund without issue.

Not sure the poster has cancelled the positioning flight. If the poster hasn't, DOT policy is that AC is supposed to refund costs related to a mistake fare, like positioning flights or hotels. I also don't think this AC ticket should qualify as a mistake fare, frankly.
Flight was pretty far out, so I haven't cancelled my positioning flights yet since there's no real incentive to do so. But given the flood of complaints to airlines, DOT, etc. and with everyone offering flight credit already, it feels like it'd probably just be a waste of everyone's time unfortunately.
Old Apr 11, 20, 4:07 pm

I also don't think this AC ticket should qualify as a mistake fare, frankly.
By what measure?

If it wasn't a mistake, why would AC post the flight for sale, then call it a mistake? Generate buzz? If deliberate, it seems to be a whole waste of time on their part. If anything, ended up causing a lot of work for them, and created negativity. Sounds like a classic mistake by them.
Old Apr 11, 20, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris View Post
By what measure?

If it wasn't a mistake, why would AC post the flight for sale, then call it a mistake? Generate buzz? If deliberate, it seems to be a whole waste of time on their part. If anything, ended up causing a lot of work for them, and created negativity. Sounds like a classic mistake by them.
Any major city on the planet from the US for nearly $400 in economy isn't clearly a mistake fare at this point. $40? $100? Sure. If US-Asia is available for $400 in Y off and on, US-Australia at that price is hardly a stretch.

As for why? Who knows? Raise some free short-term capital? Maybe they hoped to book a few tickets and then sold too many and got buyers' remorse?
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: