Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by dmmdh
Just to double check as it's not totally clear to me yet, do you need to fly all of the outbound legs before March 15 (ie reach your destination within a year after booking), or is it also possible to fly only BUD-AMS before that date and all other legs after March 15?
I think just the first flight, but someone else might know for sure.

My issue is that if it gets to that point I may have two trips to start...!
Old May 13, 2020, 5:32 am

Tried to alter dates online but the Delta website wont allow it so i need to speak to an agent. I’m trying 0207 660 0767 but a recorded voice tells me they’re busy (i expected that) and to call back another time. Does anyone have a number on which they have successfully spoken to an agent? Or another way of changing the flights? I’m due to travel in August but am worried that the world wont be back to anything like normal by then and want to push the trip to March 2021. I live in the UK
Old May 13, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmmdh
Just to double check as it's not totally clear to me yet, do you need to fly all of the outbound legs before March 15 (ie reach your destination within a year after booking), or is it also possible to fly only BUD-AMS before that date and all other legs after March 15?
Should be the first leg by March 15th. So technically you can fly BUD-AMS March 15th 2021 and then AMS onwards March 2022. Has to be completed by March 15th 22.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Nigel Spencer
Tried to alter dates online but the Delta website wont allow it so i need to speak to an agent. I’m trying 0207 660 0767 but a recorded voice tells me they’re busy (i expected that) and to call back another time. Does anyone have a number on which they have successfully spoken to an agent? Or another way of changing the flights? I’m due to travel in August but am worried that the world wont be back to anything like normal by then and want to push the trip to March 2021. I live in the UK
Depends on where did you buy? Airlinewebsite or OTA? The latter might require to call the OTA which most of them are busy right now (not reachable).

Did you try to call a number in the USA or even Hungary?
Old May 13, 2020, 7:26 am

I bought from delta’s web site. Not tried USA or HUngary
Old May 13, 2020, 7:41 am

I bought from delta’s web site. Not tried USA or HUngary
I got quick replies from the iMessage service [need to go into the menus of the iPhone app to find it].

The bigger question is on what grounds do you wish to push your trip to 2021...? By the letter of things, DL will allow you to voluntarily push your departure only to the end of September [Novermber for AF/KL]. Those above discussing the March 14th/15th limit on the ticket are referring to involuntary changes after cancellations - which it doesn't sound like you have yet? None of which is to say you'll definitely be told no, and of course the likelihood is you will get a cancellation at some point giving you the above freedom - you may just need to be patient.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by etiene
I got quick replies from the iMessage service [need to go into the menus of the iPhone app to find it].

The bigger question is on what grounds do you wish to push your trip to 2021...? By the letter of things, DL will allow you to voluntarily push your departure only to the end of September [Novermber for AF/KL]. Those above discussing the March 14th/15th limit on the ticket are referring to involuntary changes after cancellations - which it doesn't sound like you have yet? None of which is to say you'll definitely be told no, and of course the likelihood is you will get a cancellation at some point giving you the above freedom - you may just need to be patient.
I see, thank for pointing that out. I dont have a cancellation. It’s just that i was hoping things might be more travel friendly in 2021. As it happens, i do have a notification on the booking to say that there has been a change to the schedule but all the flight times and route is still exactly as booked. Ive tried to change to September online To see if that made a difference but it didnt and I cant do that either.

Forgive my ignorance but I thought the fare rules allowed changes to dates if the passenger’s plans changed
Old May 13, 2020, 7:59 am

I see, thank for pointing that out. I dont have a cancellation. It’s just that i was hoping things might be more travel friendly in 2021. As it happens, i do have a notification on the booking to say that there has been a change to the schedule but all the flight times and route is still exactly as booked. Ive tried to change to September online To see if that made a difference but it didnt and I cant do that either.

Forgive my ignorance but I thought the fare rules allowed changes to dates if the passenger’s plans changed
Not willy-nilly, no. You can change the second fare component at any time [broadly the return portion] at historical prices if you use the same fare class, but changing the first should result in a reprice if you haven't started flying the ticket. You can refund for free at any time if your plans change.

The online change engine has been a crapshoot for me. One ticket could access it but wouldn't take payment [in that case refund] details when I tried to finalise - the other two would never allow the process to start. Last I checked none of the three would load the change engine at all. I suspect the voluntary September thing might be entirely outside the purview of the online change system anyway - I think that's a waiver whereas I reckon the site engine is reliant on the fare rules themselves.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:01 am

Do Delta schedule changes (flight numbers have changed) count as involuntary changes that would allow me to move dates to early 2021? Thanks.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by altalk08
Do Delta schedule changes (flight numbers have changed) count as involuntary changes that would allow me to move dates to early 2021? Thanks.
No idea. I'd argue that mere flight number changes shouldn't [that's all that's happened to me so far], but what policy is followed by Delta call centres I don't know. I doubt anyone departing before August is going to need to invent a reason to change, but should just remain patient.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite

As I pointed out a few days before, I changed my flights voluntarily to February 2021. You only need to stay in "I" and keep your original destinations and stopovers. I done this via FB chat.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
As I pointed out a few days before, I changed my flights voluntarily to February 2021. You only need to stay in "I" and keep your original destinations and stopovers. I done this via FB chat.
Sure - I did say one might be able to get it done - but the point is that there is nothing in the fare rules or the current waiver that give one the right to insist on it.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Not willy-nilly, no. You can change the second fare component at any time [broadly the return portion] at historical prices if you use the same fare class, but changing the first should result in a reprice if you haven't started flying the ticket. You can refund for free at any time if your plans change.

The online change engine has been a crapshoot for me. One ticket could access it but wouldn't take payment [in that case refund] details when I tried to finalise - the other two would never allow the process to start. Last I checked none of the three would load the change engine at all. I suspect the voluntary September thing might be entirely outside the purview of the online change system anyway - I think that's a waiver whereas I reckon the site engine is reliant on the fare rules themselves.
Would it be possible to fly the BUD-AMS leg and then make modifications to the ticket such as changing the destination airport, adding a stopover etc.? As travel on the ticket has commenced, historical fares should be used right?
Old May 13, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by David7
Would it be possible to fly the BUD-AMS leg and then make modifications to the ticket such as changing the destination airport, adding a stopover etc.? As travel on the ticket has commenced, historical fares should be used right?
Broadly I think the answer is yes, though I'm not entirely sure about changing destination. This is the controlling language:

REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
1. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT
2. AF/DL/KL I- NORMAL FARE FAMILY IS USED
3. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
4. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
Old May 13, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
I find it hilarious that even those who are screaming 'don't call, don't call' and try to berate others about calling for "trivial reasons" are suddenly ditching their "rules" if it concerns their own tickets.

I cant believe how many times you and others are calling the airlines over these fares. The majority of posts on this thread are about calling airlines or making changes online [...] i know rule number one is do not contact the airline to alert them to their error in case they cancel your flight and cancel flights for others as well.
[...] i need to speak to an agent. [...] I’m due to travel in August but am worried [...]
This pretty much sums it up
Originally Posted by 747jetter
And the ones screaming not to call will be calling too anyway so..
and I am counting the days until even HalconBCN scraps the rules he has for everyone else because he wants to make a voluntary change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.