Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Old May 10, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
On a Delta 006 ticket with DL flight numbers, can I call Delta and ask them to change it to KL flight numbers (keeping the same flights)?
This would allow me to earn more Skymiles as far as I know
Old May 10, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by David7
On a Delta 006 ticket with DL flight numbers, can I call Delta and ask them to change it to KL flight numbers (keeping the same flights)?
No. This is a completely trivial reason to call the airline and you would draw unwanted attention to the conditions of the ticket and price paid. Be happy with what you already booked.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
No. This is a completely trivial reason to call the airline and you would draw unwanted attention to the conditions of the ticket and price paid. Be happy with what you already booked.
I wasn’t asking if you would like me to do it or not. Although I understand your concern. It was a general question if Delta is able to make such changes. Example: my flight gets cancelled, I find alternative Delta flights and request KL flight numbers on those. Will they be able to do it? Besides, I respect not drawing unwanted attention to the fare - but it is likely that 90% of people here will have to modify their flights because of cancellations and schedule changes (even in 2021). So maybe it’s time to accept that ~2 months after booking there won’t be mass cancellations.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Yes, if you contact Delta on Czech Republic phone number (+420, the number is on DL website) any changes to ticket and reissuance will be done to KL stock.

Call or not to call, I have to push it too because I knew I was not able to travel due to Covid the dates I booked. And the ones screaming not to call will be calling too anyway so..

Last edited by 747jetter; May 10, 2020 at 8:25 am
Old May 10, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I wasn’t asking if you would like me to do it or not. Although I understand your concern. It was a general question if Delta is able to make such changes. Example: my flight gets cancelled, I find alternative Delta flights and request KL flight numbers on those. Will they be able to do it? Besides, I respect not drawing unwanted attention to the fare - but it is likely that 90% of people here will have to modify their flights because of cancellations and schedule changes (even in 2021). So maybe it’s time to accept that ~2 months after booking there won’t be mass cancellations.
I don't know why you asked the question if you were not prepared for an honest answer...
If your flights get cancelled or major schedule change (+/- 90 minutes) then you have a fair reason to call. For anything else (and changing flight numbers definitely falls into the trival bucket) you are taking a risk. An overzealous agent could easily notice the absurdly cheap fare, flag it to revenue management and lo and behold the mass cancellations start to happen.
Don't push your (our!) luck by calling for trivial reasons.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
It's a ridiculous request. They won't do it. Wait for the inevitable cancellation/schedule change, then call. Then you have a proper reason.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Had to cancel 2 of the 3 tickets I booked on Delta and was refunded straight away. I changed the dates of my other ticket to Puerto Rico to a later date and received 10€ refund!
Old May 10, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Wish things were looking better for travel to BUD in late July. My ticket is departing July 28th, BUD-FCO-JFK-STT. Even if it's open, it looks like there could be a 14-day quarantine..... With these 14-day mandatory quarantines, I guess I'd have to spend 14 days in a BUD hotel first before departing on this ticket? Hmm....
Old May 11, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
I would say that July is still far away.
I am due to fly in two months to Hawaii and up to now, I think there will be a common agreement within EU that there will not be quarantines within EU for EU citizens (in case things are getting better weeks after weeks). However, there is currently one when arriving in Hawaii...
So i am not sure I can actually make it.

Other June booking just rebooked to February 21. More or less same routing but with a stopover in cdg on the way back. Without fare difference.

Last edited by canadavid; May 11, 2020 at 3:28 pm Reason: Add info on other booking
Old May 11, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
I just postponed my 4th of July trip to later this year. Did not seem like things would get significantly better in the next 6 weeks.
Maybe things will be better by September/October
Old May 11, 2020, 3:41 am

I did try to rebook my (OTA) ticket on AF and canceled on the payment check-out. Now the PNR shows both itineraries all together (on all KL/AF/DL/CMT etc) AF--tickets-to-email show that tickets are as originally booked - somebody here said, that the legs which are not on the ticket will be removed automatically - any idea when this will hapnen? How many days/weeks/months?

Last edited by ryandc99; May 11, 2020 at 6:36 am Reason: continued removal of inflammatory posting.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:58 pm

My flights changed significantly and I called to rebook and was told I can rebook the outbound up until March 15 of next year (i.e. one year from date of issue) and the return until EOS. Anyone who has rebooked (or who is smarter than me and fully understands the fare rules) know what the deadline would be for the return flight. Assuming I fly outbound March 15 or few days before, rebook the return for April, then call and do the free change for the return after flying the outbound. I know that should be allowed according to the original fare rules but my question is then what is the deadline for the return? One year from the outbound? Thanks for any insight
Old May 12, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
By the fare rules, the trip needs to start within one year of original ticket issue and departure from last stopover is one year from the beginning of the trip. You can also change the return part of the trip before flying the outbound and use the best of historic or current fares (your choice haha )
Old May 12, 2020, 4:48 pm

Awesome thanks. So it's an easy decision. I'm going to give up fighting COVID and schedule changes for this year, hope things are better next March, and then that gives me a return ticket for another trip next summer or fall.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:43 am

Just to double check as it's not totally clear to me yet, do you need to fly all of the outbound legs before March 15 (ie reach your destination within a year after booking), or is it also possible to fly only BUD-AMS before that date and all other legs after March 15?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.