Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:07 am

Okay been watching this thread for a while because I know it would eventually be my turn.
Here it goes.
DL stock, BUD-ATL//ATL-STT, STT-JFK//JFK-BUD, JFK-BUD destroyed by a cancellation. outbound due in a week.
On hold for 2.5hr, eventually a lady picked up. explanation of this situation again, and then on hold for another 20 min with contact of supervisor. Said she cannot do anything but change +-1 day inbound and I cannot do any changes to the undestroyed outbound. Other option is of course, I was cordially invited to cough up 4k extra. Time to use first method: I told her I am not US citizen, cannot fly this tix currently.
She put me on hold for another 15 min, and then transferred me to a ticketing agent (completely different holding music, and the agent has a heavy Asian accent, but relatively nice)
A bit of reasoning later she took my dates and said she would try for an even exchange. another 20 min later she came back and said there is no way to get I class for even exchange on STT segments. I say we can try eliminating the stopover in US, and she tried with success. Married segment logic is the second most confusing thing with the words "married" in it. A bit of a wrestling with the system later, managed to change it to Nov/Dec BUD-AMS-JFK-STT, STT-ATL-CDG-BUD. Did not have to use the second method to mention bulletin 6 and whatnot. My stopovers all got gutted, but it is fine and I REALLY hope I do not have to go through this again. Please US just open up for vaxxed travellers from EU, this makes no sense. Each time my itin gets ruined a bit and a bit more, and each time changing this tix it takes 3 months out of my lifespan. I think if the ban keeps in place, by next May I would be flying in cargo hold with 1hr on the ground at STT!
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
So strange that you've all had to fight so much. I got all of my tickets "parked" via DL iMesasge chat and they said I could use them until the end of 2022...
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
So strange that you've all had to fight so much. I got all of my tickets "parked" via DL iMesasge chat and they said I could use them until the end of 2022...
Not strange at all: "parked" tickets still qualify under Bulletin 6 and can be reinstated for travel up to the end of next year. "Live" tickets with future flight bookings have either used Bulletin 6 or don't qualify for Bulletin 6 [at least under Delta's reading] and rebooking is down to agent whim/interpretation of EU261/wind direction.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
But why couldn’t you all just “park” your tickets, especially if there have been invol changes?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:32 am

But why couldn’t you all just “park” your tickets, especially if there have been invol changes?
Bulletin 6 only applies to flights before the end of March, so basically you needed to "park" before that such that those were the flights on the ticket. Many chose to rebook several times over due to cancellations [or just rebooked once but well into this year] and thus are not eligible for Bulletin 6 because their flights do not fall under the affected dates.

"Parking" was really just turning it into an ecredit - it's the reinstatement that's special here. In a sense everyone can "park" their tickets, but those doing so now would just have a run-of-the-mill ecredit for however many Forints they paid.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:37 am

I see... But the "parked" tickets will still be possible to be reinstated, right? It's not like we'll only get a credit?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:45 am

I see... But the "parked" tickets will still be possible to be reinstated, right? It's not like we'll only get a credit?
Should be fine, yes.

I parked three tickets because for one trip I knew I wanted to rebook beyond the booking window, and the other I didn't know when I'd want to rebook for. I reinstated two tickets for the former in March [for November/December due to stopovers] without issue. Those I'm now worried about because of the absurd US reluctance to open borders - hence my questions about success changing after the first flight. I don't think reinstating the third ticket should be a problem - but I am a little wary that the further we get from having parked them, the chances of an agent being familiar with Bulletin 6 and this unusual reinstatement provision decrease.

In both case I believe the fare conditions/policies are on my side - I'm just aware that that's unfortunately not always enough...!
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:39 pm

Today's announcement by Sweden and the Netherlands (and other EU countries soon to follow) restricting travel by US citizens - both unvaccinated (total ban) and vaccinated (10 day quarantine) will hopefully be the push the US needs to drop it's broad travel ban.

a question re: the NL travel ban - will it apply to US citizens transiting through AMS but not leaving Schipol?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr

a question re: the NL travel ban - will it apply to US citizens transiting through AMS but not leaving Schipol?
not according to this Dutch government website. Transit passengers exempt.

https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...ory-quarantine

this could trigger cancellations that give people an out to make changes to their itinerary. I’m supposed to fly back to BUD thru AMS next week but it’s starting to look very dicey what other Schengen countries do with even vaccinated travelers.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by kodawg9
not according to this Dutch government website. Transit passengers exempt.

https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...ory-quarantine

this could trigger cancellations that give people an out to make changes to their itinerary. I’m supposed to fly back to BUD thru AMS next week but it’s starting to look very dicey what other Schengen countries do with even vaccinated travelers.
thanks. I'm at work on a government computer and it won't let me open the NL website. I'll look tonight.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: rr ua hyatt marriott spg
Flew bud-ams-atl-aus sept 4th with no issues. Presented a covid test and attestation form to the klm check in agent. Ams klm lounge was a zoo. We had transited into bud via train from vienna. There were no boarder controls between austria and hungary. Return is in november. Fingers crossed…
Old Sep 9, 2021, 5:53 am

Have an upcoming trip on Sept 15, and because I’m not allowed to enter the USA, tried to rebook a handful of times (either through iMessage or the Czech KLM/AF line), but didn’t manage to get it rebooked without having to pay an extra 4000$ pp.

If anyone has tips on what to say/do, please let me know. Otherwise, I’ll have to go for a refund :-(
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
Have an upcoming trip on Sept 15, and because I’m not allowed to enter the USA, tried to rebook a handful of times (either through iMessage or the Czech KLM/AF line), but didn’t manage to get it rebooked without having to pay an extra 4000$ pp.

If anyone has tips on what to say/do, please let me know. Otherwise, I’ll have to go for a refund :-(
Some people have mentioned calling the Singapore and/or Hungary lines, but not sure how much time and patience you have :-/
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand

I called the Hungary line which gave me no reprice whereas trying to change with the US line resulted in a $4k fare difference for the same exact flight, I/J fare class combo. But my fact pattern was that I had already flown the first leg when I tried changing dates.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by kodawg9
I called the Hungary line which gave me no reprice whereas trying to change with the US line resulted in a $4k fare difference for the same exact flight, I/J fare class combo. But my fact pattern was that I had already flown the first leg when I tried changing dates.
Originally Posted by pluu1285
Some people have mentioned calling the Singapore and/or Hungary lines, but not sure how much time and patience you have :-/
When talking about the Hungary line, is that the AF/KLM Hungary line or a specific Delta line? If so, what’s the phone number?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.