Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Deckter
Fly to Vienna and take the train. There are no checks at the border.
I already purchased flights from JFK-LHR-BUD and planned to spend 4 nights in Budapest and then HNL. I planned on VIE for the second part of the trip in January. This is so frustrating. I'm still keeping fingers crossed, but. . .
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
I had to wait for over 4 hours to contact an agent on chat, but at that time I didn't have the time to message with them, so tried again later. Again waited for over 4 hours. Mentioned Bulletin 6 right at the beginning, agent took forever to sort out all the flights and then told me that fare difference applies because Bulletin 6 is not valid anymore. This is ridiculous, even though we all payed way too little for these flights and should not be complaining. My flight is on Sunday, so time is running out. Would hate to cancel, but every time I get in touch with an agent, he/she tells me that fare difference applies. No success with the Czech guys either. Will probably lose all day tomorrow calling multiple times to try to have the trip rebooked without additional costs.

Last edited by Alec84; Aug 12, 2021 at 3:02 pm
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Alec84
I had to wait for over 4 hours to contact an agent on chat, but at that time I didn't have the time to message with them, so tried again later. Again waited for over 4 hours. Mentioned Bulletin 6 right at the beginning, agent took forever to sort out all the flights and then told me that fare difference applies because Bulletin 6 is not valid anymore. This is ridiculous, even though we all payed way too little for these flights and should not be complaining. My flight is on Sunday, so time is running out. Would hate to cancel, but every time I get in touch with an agent, he/she tells me that fare difference applies.
Unless you have the tickets parked, the agent has at least a reasonable reading of the bulletin: it does not apply to flights after Dec 2020.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by etiene
Unless you have the tickets parked, the agent has at least a reasonable reading of the bulletin: it does not apply to flights after Dec 2020.
That's right. However, if one of the flights was cancelled, EU law would still allow postponing the outbound flight to a later date "the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats".

If HUACA doesn't help, there might already be an internal note on his reservation that's hard to bypass. Even though I had luck with a friendly chat agent.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 12:49 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Sadly had to do a cancellation and refund on Friday-- tried with 2 agents (one phone, one iMessage) but both wanted reprice at $4000 -- and my flghts were leaving today. Shouldn't have waited until today [...]
If it makes you feel better, I can relate!
kyushuman likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Those of you who have cancelled, have you managed to get actual money or just eCredits? I'm not a Skyteam flyer, so eCredits are pretty much worthless for me unless some great promo or error fare appears with them.

Managed to request refund to original form of payment via chat (after waiting for several hours, of course). My first attempt through delta.com was, apparently, not successful because the chat agent could not see any info on this in my reservation. I wonder how many months it will take for the money to arrive

Last edited by Alec84; Aug 15, 2021 at 2:42 pm Reason: Solved
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:56 am

Entry with PCR Test within 72 Hours

I tried to find the most reputable source, but there are numerous websites that state that Hungary is allowing entry effective Aug 7 or Aug 9 if you can provide a PCR Test within 72 hours from certain countries:

I assume people taking a PCR test from the USA and/or Spain would be eligible then? Does anyone have any experience entering Hungary recently?

https://visithungary.com/articles/entry-rules-in-force

persons who are able to present an English or Hungarian language document containing the results of a molecular biological test (SARS_CoV-2 PCR test) not older than 72 hours, conducted in conformity with professional medical regulations in one of the following countries:a) a Member State of the European Union or in a candidate state of the European Union,
b) a member state of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development,
c) a member state of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation,
d) the Russian Federation,
e) the People’s Republic of China,
f) the United Arab Emirates,
g) the Kingdom of Bahrain,
h) the member states of the Cooperation Council of Turkic Speaking States: the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, the Republic of Turkey and the Republic of Uzbekistan,
i) the state indicated in the decree issued by the minister responsible for foreign affairs in agreement with the minister responsible for public safety and the result of which is verified by the passenger with an English or Hungarian language document.
(indicated in Section 3 (2a) a)-i) Government Decree No 60/2021 (II. 12.))
Other Sources:
https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-adv...tries/hungary/
https://hungarytoday.hu/hungary-trav...ons-pcr-tests/
katstarr and aquanine like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:49 pm

My last ticket also got cancelled (the flight was supposed to be in 4 days). I spent relatively short time on iMessenger (3 hours), mostly not waiting but typing with agents. The last ticketing agent was attentive and tried to set the situation, double checking possible options - we discussed both Bulletin 6 and 10 (from his side), but the outcome fully depends on the help desk which made the unanonimous decision that I should pay the fare difference. I hope my money will be back as soon as in the previous case... Now I can see, that the whole deal for almost all non-US citizens was unavailable, due to the on-going travel ban. DL was willingly changing dates at the beginning of 2021, so the possibility is still for those who selected Nov/Dec 2021, provided the release of the ban (unlikely). And to those who, by a miracle, got extension to 2022. Good luck!
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
I think the key is to keep the ticket parked until travel is lifted to be able to have a chance to use your bulletin 6 option. Ticket is still valid until end of 2022.
pluu1285 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
The "wonderful" Czech service line just asked me: "As a person with flying blue number, you didn't realize that this was an error fare?" . And after running out of made-up arguments, he hung up on me. He was just about to rebook me until he saw how much I paid for the ticket and then changed his tune to 30 days only.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
At first I was given a flight credit for $592 but then I went in an requested a "Refund" and it was processed in a few days, and I got confirmation of that on a Saturday; by Tuesday it was already back to AMEX.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Alec84
I had to wait for over 4 hours to contact an agent on chat, but at that time I didn't have the time to message with them, so tried again later. Again waited for over 4 hours. Mentioned Bulletin 6 right at the beginning, agent took forever to sort out all the flights and then told me that fare difference applies because Bulletin 6 is not valid anymore. This is ridiculous, even though we all payed way too little for these flights and should not be complaining. My flight is on Sunday, so time is running out. Would hate to cancel, but every time I get in touch with an agent, he/she tells me that fare difference applies. No success with the Czech guys either. Will probably lose all day tomorrow calling multiple times to try to have the trip rebooked without additional costs.
There are 2 Bulletin 6 entries, one for domestic and one for int'l. Domestic expired at the end of June but the int'l is very much alive, kicking and active and specifies book by date of 31 Dec 2022.
Originally Posted by etiene
Not sure where you got this since "Date of impacted travel: February 25, 2020 - 31 March, 2021". Even then if someone had flights booked after this date that were cancelled it might be worth having an agent look into this. Those that rebooked for this summer/fall and are unable to travel; that's tough luck indeed (and can hope there will be cancellations down the line until the travel date).
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Not sure where you got this since "Date of impacted travel: February 25, 2020 - 31 March, 2021". Even then if someone had flights booked after this date that were cancelled it might be worth having an agent look into this. Those that rebooked for this summer/fall and are unable to travel; that's tough luck indeed (and can hope there will be cancellations down the line until the travel date).
Haven't checked it in a while, and didn't bother to add a caveat as such this time round is all. The net effect is the same though - anyone with an "active" booking does not fall under B6.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Got our money back today, not bad, seems like maybe 10 days cancel to refund. Kind of works well for us, used AA miles for a speculative trip to/ from Jordan over christmas and am seeing ex-EU fares only a couple hundred above this DL fare so didnt really need to keep this one alive anyway.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Well, seems like the US has again postponed their land border opening till 21st Sept. Which is quite a bummer since this most probably indicate opening to Europeans is not going to happen anytime soon - unless they plan to open both land and airport borders at the same time- for both mainland and HI.
Not happy with this news...just have to wait I guess. If they do open later in Oct, that would still be ok as my flights are only later in Oct (but will hopefully be able to postpone it due to flight cancellations).

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.