Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:47 pm

AF/KLM make it real hard to make flight changes. The agents always have to go to the back office to see if there’s any reprice despite me telling them I had a fully flex fare that should allow me to change dates on my return flight without repricing as long as I stick with original booking class. This just eats up 2-3 days each time I wait for them to recalc.
mgodara likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by aquanine
I also just rebooked my budapest-lax trip from June/August to October/January with Delta (second date change). Told them I wanted a class to class date change because of covid in hungary, got transferred to the international desk, paid $28 extra taxes (switched from bud-cdg-lax-cdg-bud to bud-ams-sea-lax-cdg-bud b/c I class availability was limited), and am all set. I did have a 5 hour schedule change but did not mention it. I was told any future changes will incur repricing and fare difference. I'm betting Hungary will be open by Oct - they've got 5 vaccines approved, have near the highest % vaccinated in EU.

I used the ITA matrix to find I class flights, and then used delta.com to see if they were actually available. Nice that delta.com tells you booking class. If you see Z class, that means I class is available (Z is below I). Very very very slow, but free.
What phone number did you use to call Delta? could you tell me how to find "I" class with ITA matrix? I try to change the date for my flight as well
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
What phone number did you use to call Delta? could you tell me how to find "I" class with ITA matrix? I try to change the date for my flight as well
See below:

katstarr and B0gdan like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:46 am

Booked Delta through Expedia US (I know....). Took a while to convince the agent of the flex ticket conditions. Was able to select identical flights in I class in Jan 2022 but failed - the message the agent received was 'the airline is finalizing its schedule and cannot not accept the HNL-SLC segment at the moment. Try again later.'. Not sure if that was true or if the agent just wanted to get rid of me
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Deckter
See below:

Hello Deckter thank you for the screenshot that help a lot, and do i need to do this segment by segment or just do like how you provide that BUD - HNL? thanks a lot learn something new today!
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:44 pm

I think it‘s better to check the whole route, as some people reported agents not accepting I class on individual segments, but again, it‘s all down to luck.
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I think it‘s better to check the whole route, as some people reported agents not accepting I class on individual segments, but again, it‘s all down to luck.
It should be married segments, but my own experience wasn’t conclusive on that point.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by etiene
It should be married segments, but my own experience wasn’t conclusive on that point.
in rebooking HNL - JFK, I was only able to find I class by breaking it into HNL-LAX and LAX-JFK. DL agent was fine with that.
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr
in rebooking HNL - JFK, I was only able to find I class by breaking it into HNL-LAX and LAX-JFK. DL agent was fine with that.
Lol, guess there are no rules then...!
katstarr and Deckter like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr
Yes I able to use the Matrix now to find "i" class, but whenever I check with Delta website it only show as [OZ} & [OC] on the payment pay. Did I check it correctly with Delta? i try to run the whole month of October but nothing show up with Delta for "i" class even thought Matrix show it available?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Yes I able to use the Matrix now to find "i" class, but whenever I check with Delta website it only show as [OZ} & [OC] on the payment pay. Did I check it correctly with Delta? i try to run the whole month of October but nothing show up with Delta for "i" class even thought Matrix show it available?
Use the results you get from ITA and contact the airline. The agent can see all the booking classes and will book your ticket into the correct one, but from past experience, it helps if you feed the agent the exact flight numbers you want. There is no need for you to check the Delta website, airline websites are not designed to show passengers all the available classes.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
Just fyi, Matrix doesnt always correctly show I class inventory. Expertflyer is more accurate.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:44 am

Managed to speak/chat with 4 Expedia-agents today. None of them were unable to change my flights, they came with different reasons (like: "AMS-BUD has to be operated by Delta!" & "We don't have any availability after September"). Was going to call Delta to ask whether they could take over the ticket against a fee. To my surprise, the UK agent was super helpful and accommodating. Took over the ticket without charge, made a new PNR, put in all my flights for Jan 2022, checked the fare rules (I class, HIP) & sent the new itin for confirmation to the pricing desk. He said this normally would be unneccary, but since I had an invol change last autumn, a manual check is needed now. Promised me I would hear from Delta within 24 hours (hopefully a new e-ticket).
Old Apr 6, 2021, 4:28 am

Another update on my 006 ticket AMS-HNL-OGG-LIH-LAX-AMS (managed to add intra-Hawaii flights in the beginning and change departure city to AMS when
Hungary closed their borders)

I’ve been trying to postpone my outbound to HNL (scheduled May 15) for the last few weeks with no success. Yesterday I chatted with a DL rep who took a long time to read the fare rules. He told me it was impossible to change my outbound without flying a segment first and that I should wait and see if DL extends the flexible change waiver.

He then said the fare allowed unlimited stopovers and he could change the other flights, as long as we didn’t touch the AMS-HNL portion. So I asked if he could add a stopover in NYC as well when flying LAX-AMS and he agreed.

I now have a great ticket with a few days in 3 different Hawaiian islands, a couple weeks in LA and the week before Christmas in NYC, but chances are slim I’ll be able to fly it if they don’t extend the waiver :-(.

Time will tell.

Edit: A question just came to mind. If I route my outbound through CDG or LHR (so AMS-CDG-LAX-HNL for example), will they let me board the AMS-CDG flight as a EU citizen if I’m not allowed into the US? That would give me the option to move the rest of the outbound to the future then.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
Edit: A question just came to mind. If I route my outbound through CDG or LHR (so AMS-CDG-LAX-HNL for example), will they let me board the AMS-CDG flight as a EU citizen if I’m not allowed into the US? That would give me the option to move the rest of the outbound to the future then.
Supposedly yes, you should be able to change after that first segment [it would set the timer running on a year to use the fare, I think]. That might be hard though - think you got somewhat lucky with an agent who actually read the fare rules and was willing to implement them, rather than others here who seem to have had "computer says no" responses*. I'd be trying to be build in a long connection to negotiate that with ticketing agents at the airport/on the phone if you try it. You would still be limited to I space too, so you would probably have to be shunting the remainder a good few months out [guessing that's not an issue].

However, it sounds like you're going direct AMS-US at the moment so getting that European bounce might be hard. I think the schedules are probably relatively firm for May already and the agent correctly told you that the first fare component is not changeable before departure. If you're scheduled on a flight that's still reading ok - especially if it's one which is operating now - I think your chances are slim.

*Edit: pretty sure we've had at least one person try to modify after the first segment without success - can't remember who.

Edit the Second: Missed the actual question - no, I don't think you'd be allowed to board in Amsterdam if it was a connection [less than 24 hours] though it's possible that an overnight connection would be ok.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Last edited by etiene; Apr 6, 2021 at 9:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.