Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I used the message function on the website. Got a very qualified, patient, intelligent agent. She worked every angle she could and got me exactly what I was looking for. Changed my flights from Jan to Jun, changed routing, carriers, cities and added a stopover. This is 006 ticket stock. Very pleased with DL.
Amazing on the added stopover! Was it an existing layover that you elongated into a stopover, or was the agent so skillful that she plopped in an entirely new stopover?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Last summer I was able to add a stopover in JFK on my way but that was an existing transit point, overnight (about 16 hours). Now it's 4 days.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:11 am

Hi Everyone, I am trying to change my flights for the coming week. Is anyone aware to changes to so called Bulletin 6, I am being asked to pay a change fee which I thought didn't apply?
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RascoFlyer
Hi Everyone, I am trying to change my flights for the coming week. Is anyone aware to changes to so called Bulletin 6, I am being asked to pay a change fee which I thought didn't apply?
A change fee, or a fare difference? There should be no change fee anyway. Difference in taxes would be the only thing that would make sense.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Oxymore
A change fee, or a fare difference? There should be no change fee anyway. Difference in taxes would be the only thing that would make sense.
Ohhh I meant fare difference
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
There shouldn't be any change fee. Key is finding space available in your fare class (Probably I class, for this fare).
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Had a booking that was affected by cancellations, on AF stock. Changing it was surprisingly easy, the call took 15mins, changed to the dates I wanted, outside 30 days. Class to class.

Then I had to help a friend change his, and the experience couldn't have been more different. All in all, it took 6 different calls and I heard all possible excuses from AF why it had to be recalculated (outside 30 days, has to be the same route, cannot find booking class availability).

In the end, I got it changed, so HUCA definitely works, as it's day and night between agents on ability and willingness. Have your flights in the same booking class ready, this is crucial.
Maayan, etiene and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:58 am

Were these the first changes to this ticket? I have already changed my ticket from October to March, but now another change is needed (preferably in December) and I do not know if there is a chance that there will be no fare difference.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Mateuszz
Were these the first changes to this ticket? I have already changed my ticket from October to March, but now another change is needed (preferably in December) and I do not know if there is a chance that there will be no fare difference.
Second involuntary change, but first time actually moving the dates.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Tried calling the AF gold line today - not good. I was told to pay a fare difference of Ł1500 and given the number of the Hungarian AF office for a full refund.

My original flight was meant for Jan 26th, was cancelled and auto-rebooked many times, currently pushed back to 6th Feb. Trying to move it back to Sept/Oct this year.

I'm going to call again soonish and go for the invol cancellation route. If you have any tips to make me deal with AF on the phone please let me know because I feel this is going to be a lot tougher than it was with DL.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:49 am

KLM is cancelling a lot of long haul flights - per this article: https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/ar...kers-personeel

I don't know if this will impact some of our flights, but I'm guessing it might.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
More cancellations and the Dutch testing requirements will impact flights and give more leeway to rebook. Sorry to hear all the bad experiences with KL/AF rebooking even in case of cancellation. I am very fortunate to have booked 5 out of 6 tickets with Delta and only one with KLM. Delta has been super helpful and very flexible but now I have flown 4 of the tickets and only have one left. I really hope we see something like this again soon. Until then, this is the absolute best deal since COVID has struck.
kyushuman, katstarr and haroon145 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by David7
More cancellations and the Dutch testing requirements will impact flights and give more leeway to rebook. Sorry to hear all the bad experiences with KL/AF rebooking even in case of cancellation. I am very fortunate to have booked 5 out of 6 tickets with Delta and only one with KLM. Delta has been super helpful and very flexible but now I have flown 4 of the tickets and only have one left. I really hope we see something like this again soon. Until then, this is the absolute best deal since COVID has struck.
Holy heck, that's amazing. When did you fly these? Do you have both (US or CA) and EU entry rights?
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:32 am

Did anyone recently managed to change date of departure of their AF ticket? I have a flight to HNL on January 26th. The agent told me she can’t rebook after March 19th. Originally she was also claiming there would be fare difference even in case of involuntary change if I rebook later then 30 days (even with flights in original booking class).
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Karol100
Did anyone recently managed to change date of departure of their AF ticket? I have a flight to HNL on January 26th. The agent told me she can’t rebook after March 19th. Originally she was also claiming there would be fare difference even in case of involuntary change if I rebook later then 30 days (even with flights in original booking class).
any cancellation? I’ve got mine pushed from Jan to Sep on AF ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.