Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Was this on a 006 or 074 ticket ? I tried to change a KL [074] ticket to two weeks earlier (13 days to be exact) and simultaneously change the tcicket to BEG, however they said the 300-mile rule applies "within the same country" only, so I could only change to another airport in Hungary. Did you use any specific wording ?
006 ticket. Done via iMessage. I just said we live in HKG and it would be difficult to go to Budapest as they are closed all the time and we are fine to go to Czechia as I am Czech passport holder. Done in a minute. I see it also on receipt however there is still "Hungary security control fee" or something like that and I did not need to pay for airport fees.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Just moved my cancelled HNL flight from last summer to next July For the whole family (5 tix)
Done through AF messenger team
057-ticket

i was even able to add a stopover in Paris on the way back to be able to exit in cdg.
i am however now booked in C class on the inbound and I class on the outbound.
So I guess I was kind of lucky !
Keter and haroon145 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by alpha21
are there any cancellations in your itinerary?
if yes, leave it cancelled and wait

I do the same currently as I dont know if i can fly in February.
Yes, my BUD-AMS was cancelled and was rescheduled to a day earlier.

This means they should be able to waive fare difference if I rebook to a date before end of June 2021?

Last edited by r0gerthat; Nov 8, 2020 at 9:14 am
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by 747jetter
006 ticket. Done via iMessage. I just said we live in HKG and it would be difficult to go to Budapest as they are closed all the time and we are fine to go to Czechia as I am Czech passport holder. Done in a minute. I see it also on receipt however there is still "Hungary security control fee" or something like that and I did not need to pay for airport fees.
in case of INVOL changes they do not recalculate the fare and taxes in the ticket, hence the Hungary taxes are still present.
747jetter likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by r0gerthat
Yes, my BUD-AMS was cancelled and was rescheduled to a day earlier.

This means they should be able to waive fare difference if I rebook to a date before end of June 2021?
We had a KLM ticket that had a canceled flight, in Dec. They then reticketed them (5 people) to leave BUD 24 hours earlier.
THis was well over a month or so ago. Last weekend I finally called into the KLM US toll free number and asked to have the flights pushed back to early Oct 2021. They was done without really any fuss. Was surprised. Cuz have heard folks getting different answers. Even if like me, they had Canceled flights on their PRN. So if you had something like this, I don't believe you have to fly this before Jun 2021, and still have the fare difference waived. But it seems folks are getting different answers (unfortunately) If you want to push it out longer, I would simply HUCA if they insist you must travel before June 2021.
r0gerthat likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
057 ticket BUD-LAX-BUD Jan with return March. Contacted KL/AF on phone and immediately changed to March & June. Said would have to request change of origin (I asked for MUC or PRG). Contacted AF via Messenger to change origin- no luck- wanted to reprice. However immediate response.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by zebranz
057 ticket BUD-LAX-BUD Jan with return March. Contacted KL/AF on phone and immediately changed to March & June. Said would have to request change of origin (I asked for MUC or PRG). Contacted AF via Messenger to change origin- no luck- wanted to reprice. However immediate response.
Did you have any flights canceled on your original itinerary?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by xslash10x
Did you have any flights canceled on your original itinerary?
None on this ticket. I asked for change as did not want to arrange positioning flights and then have a cancellation and be stuck.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:01 am

That's great to hear. I'm also in the same situation, 057 stock for Jan and March. Ideally would like to change the dates to July and Oct/Nov. Not sure if that's possible yet. I was waiting for one of my flights to get cancelled before calling.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:00 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by kodawg9
You should HUCA. I just flew my 2nd of these original BUD origin ticket yesterday. I previously had success a couple months ago changing departure to BEG. And last week I called in to change my BUD origin to ZAG on my second of these 074 tickets and they changed it with no problems. All I said was that w/Hungary not allowing Americans in, could you update my origin to be either out of ZAG or BEG. They checked their system for availability and I got it changed with no issues.

On a side note, my flight from AMS - US yesterday had 23 total passengers in a 294 seat plane which was wild.
Do you have to fly the AF/KL metal ones? I suppose Air Serbia is not allowed? I was quoted 2300 Euros to change it

Edit: After my third HUCA, I've been told the rule has been amended from 300 miles to 100 miles -- which more or less leaves you still within Hungarian borders. How many times are you HUCA-ing before getting someone who isn't making up rules left right and center?

Last edited by BA Humbug; Nov 11, 2020 at 2:43 am
Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I think I must be the only one who hasn't had a single flight cancelled on their tickets to LAX next month.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
was supposed to fly next week from PRG-HNL, simply change the dates to february.. will see what happens next
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
New KL/AF trade flow chart dated 1 Nov: https://www.aviateworld.com/media/30...-flowchart.pdf.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by wmaciej
New KL/AF trade flow chart dated 1 Nov: https://www.aviateworld.com/media/30...-flowchart.pdf.
Thanks.. buuuuttttt... are agents following this rule?
I am holding off in calling to further negotiate this with agents for now.. hoping for some statistics here on more from other which succeed.

Cheers!
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Thanks.. buuuuttttt... are agents following this rule?
I am holding off in calling to further negotiate this with agents for now.. hoping for some statistics here on more from other which succeed.

Cheers!
well, they should. If it applies to TA issued tickets, it definitely should apply to ones issued directly by the airline!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.