Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:00 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by Hollandair
The rules dont actually mention historic fares,, they are even more clear:

REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED

There is no debate about this. This means same price used when you bought the ticket. I will fly the first segment soon also, and I will not accept a change in price other then maybe 50 euros max or so, which is possible..
Allright, I have flown the first Segment BUD-AMS, and contacted KLM to change the datges of the other fligths. As expected they cam up with a 2500$ fare difference or so. I have pointed out that according to the fare rules the shoudl use the prices in effect at the time of booking. So they say that is what they did. So its is clear thqat they have manually amended the Historical price, which is clearly cheating. So in order to proof this, I actually am looking for somebody who has bought this fare with departure in febrary of june to one of the following destinations: SEA/SLC/LAX.SAN/SFO/LAS/PHX. because with that I can proof that the actual booked price at the time of booking was different than what they are asking now. If somebody has this, please reach out to me on PM or so. We can discuss hwo we proceed. PLease note that if this will be succesful, this will create a great precedent for everyone who has flown the first segment, because we can then proof than the historic fare has been changed after issueing the ticket, which is offcourse pure pure pure fraud.
I am looking to hear from anyone, and lets build a strong case to help eachother push all our dates forward to times where we can actually fly it again.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:24 am

Allright, I have flown the first Segment BUD-AMS, and contacted KLM to change the datges of the other fligths. As expected they cam up with a 2500$ fare difference or so. I have pointed out that according to the fare rules the shoudl use the prices in effect at the time of booking. So they say that is what they did. So its is clear thqat they have manually amended the Historical price, which is clearly cheating. So in order to proof this, I actually am looking for somebody who has bought this fare with departure in febrary of june to one of the following destinations: SEA/SLC/LAX.SAN/SFO/LAS/PHX. because with that I can proof that the actual booked price at the time of booking was different than what they are asking now. If somebody has this, please reach out to me on PM or so. We can discuss hwo we proceed. PLease note that if this will be succesful, this will create a great precedent for everyone who has flown the first segment, because we can then proof than the historic fare has been changed after issueing the ticket, which is offcourse pure pure pure fraud.
I am looking to hear from anyone, and lets build a strong case to help eachother push all our dates forward to times where we can actually fly it again.
I'm not sure what they are trying to do here. What were your original travel dates? For mine BUD-SEA in Jan 2021 the historical fare still shows in ExpertFlyer - 332 USD base fare. I2FFHU on KL stock
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
If they’re using historical pricing, how are they explaining the fact that there’s a huge add/collect? That would imply you hadn’t paid for the ticket in the first place - which is clearly nonsense.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:01 am
Used to be guidogh

Originally Posted by etiene
If they’re using historical pricing, how are they explaining the fact that there’s a huge add/collect? That would imply you hadn’t paid for the ticket in the first place - which is clearly nonsense.
They re-priced the original fare in their own system. which is clearly fraudulent.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:09 am

They re-priced the original fare in their own system. which is clearly fraudulent.
I understood that. But you paid the original fare (whatever it was) - if you keep the routing the same the only add/collect would be fx changes and changes to tax elements which clearly wouldn’t amount to thousands (even if the HUF has taken a hit).

Evidence would be nice, but if you avoid changing destination (so same fare precisely) you only need logic to prove their claim bogus.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:19 am
Used to be guidogh

I understood that. But you paid the original fare (whatever it was) - if you keep the routing the same the only add/collect would be fx changes and changes to tax elements which clearly wouldn’t amount to thousands (even if the HUF has taken a hit).

Evidence would be nice, but if you avoid changing destination (so same fare precisely) you only need logic to prove their claim bogus.
Unfortunatly this "logic"goes above the paygrade of any KL-Agent, at least in The Netherlands. Because they can only apply the fares they get in their system, which is obviously the new higher fare. So this has to be done via a complaint or request to Customer care. But if Expertflyer can easily reproduce that fare, so can KLM back-office.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:08 am

Unfortunatly this "logic"goes above the paygrade of any KL-Agent, at least in The Netherlands. Because they can only apply the fares they get in their system, which is obviously the new higher fare. So this has to be done via a complaint or request to Customer care. But if Expertflyer can easily reproduce that fare, so can KLM back-office.
Not “logic” - logic. Regardless, it suggests that evidence is not the answer but rather escalation. The agents will be able to see the fare paid - avoid changing destination (which would allow them to argue that the price for the same fare was different) and when they come up with a fare difference you have all the evidence you need for the shenanigans.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
maarten22 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Fraudulent.. Too strong of a statement. The mistake fares are actually disabled for automated reissue and revalidation to avoid fraud hahaha - to avoid anyone abusing the knowledge that there was a mistake fare since it can be applied to changing existing tickets issued within a timeframe a mistake fare was available.

I would not expect any airline agent to look into fares screen if automated exchange errors out. Otherwise good luck asking them to look into the fares screen.
Customer care is what helped me long time ago in a similar situation - but they only were able to change dates, changing routing in this situation probably way out of luck.

Said all that negative sh*t - All don't give up and please report your success here in this thread!
etiene likes this.

Last edited by Keter; Oct 18, 2020 at 1:38 pm Reason: some mistakes fixed
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by newflyer530
331 days only.

For anyone that needs to rebook a 006 ticket, the detailed waiver rules are here: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...etin-5---.html

It doesn't look like many DL agents are actually familiar with the the "Class to Class" rebooking rules, especially for new travel dates beyond 3/31/2021. If you are quoted a huge fare difference and that you keep the original O&D and booking class (J and I), please ask the agent to check these waivers in details.
Looks like I missed some news and even my DL ticket with departure in JAN-2021 is already eligible for no fare difference no change fee rebooking for travel until the end of 2022. Subject to no changes in origin and destination and rebooking to same booking classes (as opposed to same cabin in any booking classes).

The step by step policy exception finder is here

The policy (updated September 29) is here

Change of origin/ destination is under CURRENT fares.

What the policy is silent about is rerouting and adding stopover - that's what i wanted to do later due to the limitations of online booking engines... Let's see how it works.

Added: and yes, no flight cancellation is required.
katstarr likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Keter
Added: and yes, no flight cancellation is required.
OT: OMG its so different from BA Covid policy - even for cancelled flights no change fee/ no fare difference/ same origin destination rebooking is ONLY within the validity of the original ticket (mine expires mid JAN-2021...). Love 006))
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:06 pm

Depends who you booked with: DL - park it; AF/KL 30th November/EoS [YMMV].
The DL 'park' option only works for cancelled flights, right? I don't see any references to this option in a policy that applies to itineraries without cancelled flights (as posted above). Rather the option is there, but it asssumes the new travel will be repriced using current fares as I read that.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Keter
The DL 'park' option only works for cancelled flights, right? I don't see any references to this option in a policy that applies to itineraries without cancelled flights (as posted above). Rather the option is there, but it asssumes the new travel will be repriced using current fares as I read that.
No, any itinerary no cancellations needed. It’s basically implied by the policy, but the agents I’ve interacted with knew what to do once they’d read it. Haven’t rebooked one yet though, so we’ll see there.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
No, any itinerary no cancellations needed. It’s basically implied by the policy, but the agents I’ve interacted with knew what to do once they’d read it. Haven’t rebooked one yet though, so we’ll see there.
Whenever I mention this "park it" option, the agents would tell me "sure, I'm happy to convert your ticket to an eVoucher of the same value", when told I simply want to "park it" and rebook later, all of the agents (several over chat and several over the phone, incl. 2 supervisors, one from the ticket desk) that I've spoken to firmly told me there's no such thing as "parking it" - either rebook before original date of departure and for new dates within 331 days, or eVoucher.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by newflyer530
Whenever I mention this "park it" option, the agents would tell me "sure, I'm happy to convert your ticket to an eVoucher of the same value", when told I simply want to "park it" and rebook later, all of the agents (several over chat and several over the phone, incl. 2 supervisors, one from the ticket desk) that I've spoken to firmly told me there's no such thing as "parking it" - either rebook before original date of departure and for new dates within 331 days, or eVoucher.
When I’ve asked it seems that the process is merely converting it to an eCredit - but one with the special ability to be reinstated for the same itinerary without repricing per the above linked bulletin 5. As far as I could ascertain there may be nothing different about the eCredit itself - I suspect that the wrangle will come in getting reinstated under that policy, but I certainly felt more confident having it “parked” by someone who seemed to know about the ability to use it later. The latest one - who was unfamiliar with it until I mentioned it and she searched for the policy - said merely that it would be cancelled to eCredit but was best to note the ticket numbers rather than the PNR as those were easier to look up after the fact (PNR is still ok, just a bit harder by the sounds of it).

Again, you can point out that for the December 2022 date to make any sense (it was extended to that too, so isn’t a mistake) then there must be some version of “parking” available. The novelty of that is definitely a pitfall though - we won’t know much until someone chooses to try the other half of the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.