Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Seems like I cannot get it booked with KL past June 2021 without repricing. Anyone have any luck booking past June 2021 and got any recommendations?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: IC RA
Originally Posted by wmaciej
lucky! In my experience as soon as DL agents see it’s 057 or 074 they refuse to talk about it 🙈
I know!! When the initial cancellation happened I tried to change with DL and got shut down right away.

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
Are you still in J & D buckets?
1 in J, 2 in I, and 3 in D
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Fes426
Seems like I cannot get it booked with KL past June 2021 without repricing. Anyone have any luck booking past June 2021 and got any recommendations?
Try adding a few days stopover in AMS and changing after flying the first sector. This is my plan.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Try adding a few days stopover in AMS and changing after flying the first sector. This is my plan.
That’s risky. While it should work in theory, alpha21 was unable to rebook without repricing despite having flown the first sector.
alpha21 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
That’s risky. While it should work in theory, alpha21 was unable to rebook without repricing despite having flown the first sector.
alpha21 has relied on the social media/message team from what he said and in my experience they are not very good. I’m suggest calling or visiting an airport ticketing desk. YMMV obviously, but I’m keen on having KLM respect the fare rules.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
That's against the fare rules though. They can't make them as they go along.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:26 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
The rules dont actually mention historic fares,, they are even more clear:

REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED

There is no debate about this. This means same price used when you bought the ticket. I will fly the first segment soon also, and I will not accept a change in price other then maybe 50 euros max or so, which is possible..
wmaciej likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:58 pm

I've been trying to follow this thread as much as possible so I apologize if it's been covered.

My outbound flight of BUD>CDG>LAX is not until January but it's looking highly unlikely that we'll be able to go to Europe this winter. Based on the rules and data points, I am not able to change the dates of my first oubound leg unless my flight gets cancelled? Is that correct? Would love to keep the flights instead of a refund and see if I can push it back to next summer.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by xslash10x
I've been trying to follow this thread as much as possible so I apologize if it's been covered.

My outbound flight of BUD>CDG>LAX is not until January but it's looking highly unlikely that we'll be able to go to Europe this winter. Based on the rules and data points, I am not able to change the dates of my first oubound leg unless my flight gets cancelled? Is that correct? Would love to keep the flights instead of a refund and see if I can push it back to next summer.
What stock are you ticketed on? If DL you can push it back subject to same booking class [I].
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:14 pm

AF stock
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:19 pm

AF stock
Probably need to wait for a cancellation then.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by etiene
Probably need to wait for a cancellation then.
Bummer. It's frustrating because I would have to book positioning flights to Europe and kind of hard to do last minute. I guess here's to hoping my flight gets cancelled.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:34 pm

Bummer. It's frustrating because I would have to book positioning flights to Europe and kind of hard to do last minute. I guess here's to hoping my flight gets cancelled.
That's the risk of jumping on a silly fare from a completely different continent. Personally I would be discounting flying it as booked entirely - so no need to figure positioning either way. Either there's a cancellation and you might get to move it, or you refund it because it's a refundable fare.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Mine was cancelled (it's actually next week) but I guess that is not enough to push past June 2021 - I may try moving it until December or January and hoping I can try again.

I wish I could fly the first leg but I'm based in the US and this is the return segment of a different trip
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You should all mention the covid waiver and the documents that have been shared in this thread if the reps give you a hard time.
Thysk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.