Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by andigoeskiwi
Just received my flight cancellation mail. Called Delta to „park“ the ticket for later use in 2021.
This certain agent told me that if she would reinstate it she would use cabin to cabin regardless the booking classes. Let’s see how lucky we get next year...
Wouldn’t be overly hopeful, but who knows with this stuff...?!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
Thanks for all the help regarding my check-in luggage question. Won't need it after all, as the extremely helpful lady on Delta's iMessage rebooked me with both outbound origin and inbound destination AMS instead of BUD!! She also rebooked me through LHR on VS A350 Upper Class with the return through SEA on DL One Suites on the A339... Happy I don't have to worry anymore about Hungary's entry restrictions and positioning flights!

nice routing. how were u able to book so many inter-island flights? I guess you'll be doing stopovers for a couple of days in these islands?
I'd like to book them as well. Isn't there a limit on stopovers? Has someone the stopover rules compromised?

I just flew the first segment BUD-AMS and should now be able to rebook anything with historical pricing.
although my ticket is KL stock I should be able to rebook with delta now...there rules are better then the KL ones.
any1 knows if the reissued ticket will then be on DL stock or will it remain KL stock?

thanks and regards!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by alpha21
nice routing. how were u able to book so many inter-island flights? I guess you'll be doing stopovers for a couple of days in these islands?
I'd like to book them as well. Isn't there a limit on stopovers? Has someone the stopover rules compromised?

I just flew the first segment BUD-AMS and should now be able to rebook anything with historical pricing.
although my ticket is KL stock I should be able to rebook with delta now...there rules are better then the KL ones.
any1 knows if the reissued ticket will then be on DL stock or will it remain KL stock?

thanks and regards!
I managed to add the inter-island flights via the ‘modify my flight’ option on DL.com a few days after the fare was live. I remember trying to add HNL-OGG-LIH but i was only able to add OGG-HNL-LIH. It was only by rebooking now over iMessage that I managed to change it to HNL-OGG-LIH. I wanted to start with HNL because it’s the island that I find least attractive (always save the best for last) and because there used to be a daily LAX-HNL flight with lie-flats, which you’ll never find on LAX-OGG. Hopefully they reinstate that flight and I’ll enjoy lie-flats on that sector :-)
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by alpha21

thanks and regards!
How could you change your ticket to DL stock? I was informed by DL that it was impossible to change the KL stocked ticket into DL stock...
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Komo
How could you change your ticket to DL stock? I was informed by DL that it was impossible to change the KL stocked ticket into DL stock...
I didn‘t change yet but at the last char with DL where I tried them to change the booking they said, that they are able to modify my KL ticket once the first leg has been flown.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:56 am

We were booked to begin out trip in four days, which wasn't going to happen. Yesterday we got notification of the cancellation of our CDG-BUD. Called AF (USA number) just now and a wonderful agent in Santiago Chile rebooked us on the last day AF currently allows without repricing - 30-Nov.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Maayan
We were booked to begin out trip in four days, which wasn't going to happen. Yesterday we got notification of the cancellation of our CDG-BUD. Called AF (USA number) just now and a wonderful agent in Santiago Chile rebooked us on the last day AF currently allows without repricing - 30-Nov.
Something ridiculous and totally unprofessional happened to me. About the circumstances: I booked my ticket to HNL with Expedia. Air France took over the booking after the second cancellation (wonder how they could do it if I booked through an agency...).
Nevertheless, I contacted AF/KL and had the ticket reissued under KL ticket number.

Then, recently I contacted DL and asked if they could amend the flights’ dates if I flew the first segment (BUD-AMS) and received the following answer: “Thank you for your patience. I checked with our support department again and they may be able to take the tickets over from KLM. I'll be transferring our full conversation to a Ticketing Support representative who will be happy to work with you on this. Thank you for Messaging with us today.”

The Ticketing Support rep cancelled my KL ticket and issued eCredits, basically, “parked” my ticket under the KL ticket number, that could be used until 30 September,2022.

Next day, as I still could not see my eCredit (and I wanted to rebook for next summer), I got in touch with DL once again and inquired. The answer I got, was shocking:

“I am very sorry, but the agent last night should not have cancelled this reservation for all the reasons above. However no worries as we have reinstated the tickets/reservation as if you never cancelled. You will now want to contact Expedia to request to cancel and determine their policies on cancelling this reservation.”

After lengthy discussion, the final suggestion I got was the following:

“I appreciate all of the above.

I noticed Shana mentioned you being able to locate the credit in your SkyMiles account. Again another reason for me to think she was incorrectly responding to you as based on the reservation you do not have a SkyMiles account.

We have reinstated the reservation due to the previous agents error. You will want to contact Expedia, KLM and/or Air France for their polices and credit request. I am sure they will be happy to assist you with cancelling and leaving you with credits for future travel to book with KLM and/or Air France.”

This is unbelievable and I cannot really come to terms with it. Shall I contact DL’s Ticketing Department or is shall I just simply accept their reasoning?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You should be happy that they reinstated the ticket. With eCredits, you don’t have a parked ticket, you only have a digital gift card basically. You’d be making a new booking (at the new price) and then only be able to pay for part of the fare with your eCredit.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
You should be happy that they reinstated the ticket. With eCredits, you don’t have a parked ticket, you only have a digital gift card basically. You’d be making a new booking (at the new price) and then only be able to pay for part of the fare with your eCredit.
Supposedly DL eCredits for flights this year booked before April 17th have the ability to be "reactivated" to the original itinerary in the original fare classes out to September 2022. I'm not aware of anyone having done so yet, so some caution there - but they are not just the digital gift card they would normally be.

That said, it seems like the poster here got the correct result eventually - I can see no reason DL would go in and take on a KL ticket just so that different coronavirus rules could be used. The fact that they haven't syncronised their policies across the JV is frustrating and mere luck based on who people ticketed with [especially if an OTA was used], but the have presumably talked to each other and chosen not to so. The agent who promised such things would seem to have been right out on a limb.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by etiene
Supposedly DL eCredits for flights this year booked before April 17th have the ability to be "reactivated" to the original itinerary in the original fare classes out to September 2022. I'm not aware of anyone having done so yet, so some caution there - but they are not just the digital gift card they would normally be.
I wasn't aware of that, but regardless, I would feel MUCH more comfortable with a regular booking with canceled flights that could still be rebooked. What are the odds of finding an agent who actually knows how to "reactivate" an itinerary using eCredits?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 5:34 am

I wasn't aware of that, but regardless, I would feel MUCH more comfortable with a regular booking with canceled flights that could still be rebooked. What are the odds of finding an agent who actually knows how to "reactivate" an itinerary using eCredits?
Not an option for anyone wanting to use their trip beyond the current booking window - for example I'd prefer to use my planned October trip at the same time next year for a variety of reasons, but would be unable to rebook it before the original departure date.

At least two of us have reported back after asking about this policy, and I believe the other poster [sorry - can't remember who deserves the credit] was told that cancelling would be "polite" but that no showing wouldn’t prevent using this waiver. Personally I feel more confident in the eCredit persisting in the system than a no showed itinerary that's just been untouched.

I share the unease over using such novel processes - we shall see if anyone runs into issues on the rebooking part of things. My agent was familiar with the policy though, and there is also a publically available version one could point to - so our lack of confidence may not be deserved.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, FB Plat
Booked BUD - SFO and LAS - SFO to depart tomorrow, through Expedia US on a 074 (KLM) ticket, after reading comment here I was expecting a hard time getting anything done but had a surprisingly good experience.

Had a chat with an agent on Expedia and told him I wished to rebook for April next year, gave them the flights and it was rebooked with little to no hassle. I did stick to the same route and had checked the availability of the booking class before departure.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Personally I feel more confident in the eCredit persisting in the system than a no showed itinerary that's just been untouched.
I don't doubt that the eCredit would persist in the system, but I would be extremely worried that they later tell you, you can only use it as credit towards a new booking, at the current pricing. And that you cannot get a refund anymore either, since you have agreed to convert your cash into eCredit. I would prefer a cash refund and losing the booking over being stuck with $700 in DL credit that I wouldn't know how to use.
Maayan likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:14 am

I don't doubt that the eCredit would persist in the system, but I would be extremely worried that they later tell you, you can only use it as credit towards a new booking, at the current pricing. And that you cannot get a refund anymore either, since you have agreed to convert your cash into eCredit. I would prefer a cash refund and losing the booking over being stuck with $700 in DL credit that I wouldn't know how to use.
Sure, that's you. I'm confident I could use DL credit if it came to that, so I'm willing to take the risk in the hopes of flying this one. Plus I've got copies of the fare rules, all the communication and the policy should they try that.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
Originally Posted by MarcElMile
Booked BUD - SFO and LAS - SFO to depart tomorrow, through Expedia US on a 074 (KLM) ticket, after reading comment here I was expecting a hard time getting anything done but had a surprisingly good experience.

Had a chat with an agent on Expedia and told him I wished to rebook for April next year, gave them the flights and it was rebooked with little to no hassle. I did stick to the same route and had checked the availability of the booking class before departure.
Based upon what argument did Expedia cooperate to make the changes free of any charge in 'I' booking class? Was it boarder entry of Hungary or the USA or was the general Covid situation enough?
I have a 074 ticket at Year End issued by Expedia which must like needs to be postponned too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.