Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(prem fare gone): *A: CDG-BNE 1050eur rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(prem fare gone): *A: CDG-BNE 1050eur rt

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 1:55 pm

Just to report back: my upcoming flights were cancelled, and just a refund was not the option I would be happy with. Equipped with knowledge of allowed alternatives I was ready to fight with LX and my OTA to move the flight to 2021. The fight came, but not exactly where I was expecting it. Upon first call with OTA they suggested refund or reprice if moved forward. When I've pointed out about alternative 3 in agent manual, an agent said that they had particular instructions from Swiss on how to handle it. Fine, I gave the call to Swiss directly to check what the options were, given their web-site still states the following:
If the price of the rebooked flight is higher than that of the original booking – owing to a change of destination (e.g. short-haul to long-haul), a change of seating class or similar – an additional amount may still be payable, despite the discount offered.
I didn't expect any reprice given I didn't want to change destination or bump to higher cabin. Similar sounded a bit ambiguous. The reply I was given: no reprice in case the same RBD is available at later date, only tax difference if any might need to be charged extra. Ok, cool I thought, but now how to prove it to OTA. They wouldn't accept my word for that, Swiss of course wouldn't give any waiver code because they are not waiving upcharge just for any reason, only if same RBD condition is followed.
After 3 or so calls with OTA that went in many ways possible (one agent just accepting Swiss's explanation, but not able to find same RBD even if it was clearly available; second agent not accepting my message from Swiss and trying to go by manual, but somehow interpreting alternative 3 in her own way etc.) I was almost ready to give up with a promise to myself to try to avoid this generally quite reasonable OTA in future (when things go or less normally that is), but decided to request talking to supervisor. After the nice lady heard the whole story about my learning path and phone experience, she just spent a few minutes re-reading the manual (I guess), asked me what dates I was looking at, checked that P bucket was available and went on to reissue my ticket for 2021. So, all in all, around 5 hours on Skype all together, but I've got what I'm sure I was entitled to. Still quite appreciative of a very reasonable supervisor and Swiss agent not trying to convince me that word Similar means pretty much anything.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Patience is a virtue.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by maxvor
Just to report back: my upcoming flights were cancelled, and just a refund was not the option I would be happy with. Equipped with knowledge of allowed alternatives I was ready to fight with LX and my OTA to move the flight to 2021. The fight came, but not exactly where I was expecting it. Upon first call with OTA they suggested refund or reprice if moved forward. When I've pointed out about alternative 3 in agent manual, an agent said that they had particular instructions from Swiss on how to handle it. Fine, I gave the call to Swiss directly to check what the options were, given their web-site still states the following:

I didn't expect any reprice given I didn't want to change destination or bump to higher cabin. Similar sounded a bit ambiguous. The reply I was given: no reprice in case the same RBD is available at later date, only tax difference if any might need to be charged extra. Ok, cool I thought, but now how to prove it to OTA. They wouldn't accept my word for that, Swiss of course wouldn't give any waiver code because they are not waiving upcharge just for any reason, only if same RBD condition is followed.
After 3 or so calls with OTA that went in many ways possible (one agent just accepting Swiss's explanation, but not able to find same RBD even if it was clearly available; second agent not accepting my message from Swiss and trying to go by manual, but somehow interpreting alternative 3 in her own way etc.) I was almost ready to give up with a promise to myself to try to avoid this generally quite reasonable OTA in future (when things go or less normally that is), but decided to request talking to supervisor. After the nice lady heard the whole story about my learning path and phone experience, she just spent a few minutes re-reading the manual (I guess), asked me what dates I was looking at, checked that P bucket was available and went on to reissue my ticket for 2021. So, all in all, around 5 hours on Skype all together, but I've got what I'm sure I was entitled to. Still quite appreciative of a very reasonable supervisor and Swiss agent not trying to convince me that word Similar means pretty much anything.
That’s great news and thanks for the data point!

No doubt myself and many others will be in the same situation as soon as June flights are cancelled.

May I ask what OTA you used?

And how late into 2021 are your new flights?

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2020, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by QFBoy
That’s great news and thanks for the data point!

No doubt myself and many others will be in the same situation as soon as June flights are cancelled.

May I ask what OTA you used?

And how late into 2021 are your new flights?

Thanks!
The OTA is PL. I haven't heard of any cut-off date so it would be fair to assume all the way to EOS was possible.
I assume for those of you who still have their cancellation coming it will be a much easier exercise. Looks like LH Group updated their policies to way more reasonable ones, as can be seen in
https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_147655.pdf

Particularly, involuntary rebooking has the following:

Standard procedure in case of cancelled flights – irrespective of any (additional) goodwill policy:
 In general, you can rebook/reissue on original origin and destination (O&D) on involuntary basis.
 Following adaptions of the standard flight irregularity policy currently apply :
  • If the original booking class is not available for the new travel dates, you may rebook currently also in the lowest available booking class within the same cabin/compartment (original transportation class) outside the 3-day period (three days before/after the original flight). This is applicable only to Lufthansa Group flight numbers (OS/LH/LX/WK/SN/EW/4U/EN).
  • Until Until further notice, rebookings/reissues can also be made outside the 14-day period. Please note that it is still necessary to delete active and inactive flight segments first from the PNR within the 14-day period.
 Further detailed rules as per flight irregularity policy.

Please note: In case of cancelled flights you may choose if you want to rebook/reissue
 on involuntary basis (original O&D, no additional collection, no discount, no bonus) or,
 on the basis of a goodwill policy (repricing on any O&D) – within the timeframes of the respective goodwill policy and a discount/bonus where applicable
Keter likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
There was a lawsuit in Germany against LH because they wouldn't offer free rebookings into other booking classes in case of cancellation. LH lost. So that's probably why they adjusted their rules.
Keter, on22cz, Granite64 and 1 others like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 3:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
I am booked for this ticket with departure end of June, and checking the flight schedules from Swiss, I see that flights are operating - however of course Australia will most probably be closed. In this situation, do I have the same rebooking options as stated?

Cheers!
Old May 25, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
What is your flight from France? they seem to operate only 2 flights a week Paris Zurich, Monday mornings and Friday evenings.
Old May 25, 2020, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by ranskis
What is your flight from France? they seem to operate only 2 flights a week Paris Zurich, Monday mornings and Friday evenings.
It's the evening flight (20.40h). On the Swiss website it seems to be operating as usual.

Cheers!
Old May 25, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by nldogbert
It's the evening flight (20.40h). On the Swiss website it seems to be operating as usual.

Cheers!
I can lookup your flight on expertflyer if you want, you can send me a PM.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Granite64
I can lookup your flight on expertflyer if you want, you can send me a PM.
Hi,

Thanks, not sure what info you can get on this from expertflyer, but it is on LX 645 on 29 June. On Swiss, all flight sectors does seem to be operating as usual.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Old May 25, 2020, 9:30 am

Hi,

Thanks, not sure what info you can get on this from expertflyer, but it is on LX 645 on 29 June. On Swiss, all flight sectors does seem to be operating as usual.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

It's not scheduled on Expertflyer either, they do have one flight with plenty of availability which is LX633 departing at 10:40AM.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Granite64
It's not scheduled on Expertflyer either, they do have one flight with plenty of availability which is LX633 departing at 10:40AM.
Thanks.

So my next question would be based on this - will I be able to change the dates for the whole itinerary as per the rules and what others have managed to change - looking to change the dates to later this year or next year.

Cheers!
Old May 25, 2020, 11:04 am

Thanks.

So my next question would be based on this - will I be able to change the dates for the whole itinerary as per the rules and what others have managed to change - looking to change the dates to later this year or next year.

Cheers!
You're welcome, i'm pretty sure Maxvor answered that question (post #151 ) as his flights were cancelled and he was able to rebook it.

I'm in the same boat but i'm still waiting to receive the cancellation email from LX, the flight that i'm on (LX188 to PVG) is not bookable anymore so I expect the email any moment.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite Plus, SQ Gold, BA Gold, VS Gold, Globalist, HH Diamond
Thats also a good option to check if your flights are still scheduled: https://www.swiss.com/ch/de/buchen/f...ionen/flugplan
Nevertheless I fully agree to Granite64 to wait until you receive the cancellation mail. That will open up free rebooking more easily.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:03 am

Well finally my flight to PVG got cancelled, I will give Expedia a call tonight to check what my options are. I will keep you guys up to date.
andigoeskiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.