Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tickets with a connection but not continuing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:18 am
Original Poster

I have two separate tickets for a round trip within US on two different airlines.
My itinerary actually says that I am changing flight and going further but I am not continuing.
In both cases, I am not completing the trip - one actually goes to Canada so I might need to take the passport as well

As a result, I am not even taking a carry on but a bag that sits under the seat - because if I check in, it shall end up in a destination on my itinerary that I will not be going to.

Should I keep it secret to airline staff when boarding especially fi they ask me to check in - what is if they ask to check in my bag/Carry on?
Any other tips?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sciconf
My itinerary actually says that I am changing flight and going further but I am not continuing.
In both cases, I am not completing the trip - one actually goes to Canada so I might need to take the passport as well
What you're doing is called "hidden city ticketing" and although you likely won't have a problem, there are some risks. If there are weather or mechanical issues, the airline has to get you to your final destination, not the intermediate point you want to get off. Same with baggage. If they run out of overhead space, or the bag can't fit under your seat, and you're required to check your bag, it's going to yout final destination, too. Probably not a good idea to let the airline know you intend to violate their contract of carriage which governs these types of tickets.

Here's a good article that goes into the risks involved:
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/hid...u-need-to-know
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks tom911

Do you need to inform the airliner after getting off that you are not continuing the remainder of the trip?
Someone told me that he has been doing in the US and abroad - guess the reason was to ensure that airliner was not making announcement asking you to board.

Last edited by sciconf; Jan 28, 2020 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Thanks tom911

Do you need to inform the airliner after getting off that you are not continuing the remainder of the trip?
Someone told me that he has been doing in the US and abroad - guess the reason was to ensure that airliner was not making announcement asking you to board.
I'll let someone else address that as I don't book hidden city tickets
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Thanks tom911

The airliner is the actual plane. You could call to cancel or advise a desk agent that you've taken ill and will not be continuing. Even if they announce and you are 50 miles away, you know they will not just sit there forever? They will leave. Advising the airline might allow some poor soul on the standby list to board and go somewhere you don't want to go.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I just leave. I don’t announce that I’m not taking the next flight. The airlines are really good at giving your seat away if you’re one minute late on a connection so why should I worry about it? The airline will put someone on standby in your seat whether you tell them or not.

I don’t do it often, but sometimes it just makes sense for me. It can go awry, but just be prepared to adapt.

Definitely take your passport. If your final leg is international, you won’t be able to take the first leg without documentation.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Definitely take your passport. If your final leg is international, you won’t be able to take the first leg without documentation.
also if you would be required to hold an ETA to enter Canada, make sure you have it (I believe US citizens are exempt, but OP doesn’t mention citizenship)
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:48 pm

If it is a personal item that fits the dimensions indicated for a personal item and fits into the airline's sizer, they will not force you to check it.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
take your passport

How to do board an aircraft with a CA connection w/o your passport??
IMO, you need to show your passport in order to get a bp. I cannot imagine how you manage to keep this secret??
ps Reminds me of a funny story, I was on a group bus from Vienna to Brno just after Schengen was implemented. A dude (from Brussels, as I recall) says I did not know I needed my passport! Needless to say, he left the bus @ the SK border. A victim of his own stupidity!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.