Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2020 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
AA/One World: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

AA/One World: 2020 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Departure Airport(s): SFO, LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,000 EXP, 40,000 for bonus treshold
EQDs Needed: 4,000
Available Travel Dates: Before EOY
AA only, or Partners Okay: all ok

Anyone have any suggestions for long-haul trips that can earn a 2-3x EQD / $ spend that can be done before end of year? I'm looking for somewhere Americans can travel to without hitting covid travel restrictions / quarantine.

Since AA is rolling over miles earned in Q4 ... I thought it could be worth it to go for executive plat / bonus threshold. I just don't see that many good MR opportunities. Best I can see is Alaska first class double EQD but those aren't longhaul. Sao Paulo looks interesting but I know if there is way to book it as special fare. (I looked at AAvacations but no * next to fare class.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Perhaps LHR in Y+ and then add a paid BA Business ticket to Croatia (open and cheap for tickets) ?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jfkeze
Perhaps LHR in Y+ and then add a paid BA Business ticket to Croatia (open and cheap for tickets) ?
Thanks yeah that's a decent option. ~$1100 from West Coast to Croatia on BA Premium Economy. That would earning slightly over double EQD
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Thanks yeah that's a decent option. ~$1100 from West Coast to Croatia on BA Premium Economy. That would earning slightly over double EQD
$1194 from SFO

For the SFO-LHR segment (T Class) you would obtain 16101 EQMs 2147 EQDs , while the LHR-ZAG segment (S Class) you would obtain 852 EQMs 170 EQDs for a grand total of 16953 EQMs and 2317 EQDs
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Has anyone done an MR with London Heathrow as the final destination? I see that the UK has a 14-day quarantine policy, but is one required to stay the entire 14 days in the UK? Or is it possible to visit (aka stay in a hotel room) for one day and then return to the airport? Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
I am having good luck increasing my EQD by buying cheap econ tickets and adding a rental car on AAVacations. It codes as a special fare. A transcon routed via a long connection (e.g. LAX - MIA - WAS) with N*,S*, G* gets 10% distance instead of what you pay. Since I need a rental car anyway.. works out well. Certainly cheaper than a throwaway hotel. With the $250 r/t transcons and a widebody (777 on the LAX/MIA route) with a good chance of my EXP upgrade... I don't mind doing some back and forths.
jfkeze likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:25 am

Departure Airport: SAN, ONT, SNA (possibly LAX)
Miles Needed: 4,000 (or 9.5 segments)
Required Spend or Budget: Req $600
Available Travel Dates: 12/11-12/13/20, 12/16-17, or 12/21-12/22
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshare OK

Never had status before, but in crazy 2020, made Gold and not far off from Platinum. Have another trip upcoming but haven't bought tickets yet, likely over estimated spend of $600 EQD after that trip and only 4,000 miles to go currently (not including upcoming trip).. likely won't need any more miles to meet the EQM reqs. Also worth it to go for platinum status? Thanks!!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:14 pm

Mileage Run

Departure Airport(s): DFW, ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 6 EQSs, Max EQMs
EQDs Needed: 739
Max Budget: Minimum
Available Travel Dates: Dec 12, 2020 thru Dec 18, 2020, or Dec 26, 2020 thru Dec 31, 2020
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Yes
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No

I am trying to qualify for Platinum this year and my friend and I are targeting Platinum Pro next year (why I'm looking for max EQMs as they will count towards 2021).
Old Dec 15, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by FlyingBevo

I am trying to qualify for Platinum this year and my friend and I are targeting Platinum Pro next year (why I'm looking for max EQMs as they will count towards 2021).
Did you figure something out? Newbie here but did lots of research recently. A reminder that the AA year ends January 31st, not December 31st, if that helps at all. And like you said, Q4 trips are already counting for 2021... depends how much you racked up before Q4 versus in this final segment of the earning year.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Departure Airport(s): LAX and related
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQDs seem harder to come by
EQDs Needed: 2200
Max Budget: None, but let's be frugal
Available Travel Dates: January 2021, February if necessary but would love to earn AND roll over to next year
Max # Travel Nights: 30
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners fine
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Not anymore, but I am sure I could get a new one unless those are cancelled due to COVID?

Considering trying to hit about 2200 EQDs before end of the AA calendar year, Jan 31. I've heard about the British Airways trick, but I am looking to go to Brazil to work from there for two-three weeks chasing Hyatt Globalist. Is there a British Airways style way to earn 2200 EQDs while only spending say half that, or similar? AA doesn't seem to have any good South American partners with a good setup like this unless I am mistaken?

Edit, Brazil because their Hyatt Macae property is like 45 a night, oceanfront.
I would happily also go to London for their one less expensive Hyatt, but this new strain of COVID, plus the Brazilians have more stuff open...
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Departure Airport(s): LAX and related
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQDs seem harder to come by
EQDs Needed: 2200
Max Budget: None, but let's be frugal
Available Travel Dates: January 2021, February if necessary but would love to earn AND roll over to next year
Max # Travel Nights: 30
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners fine
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Not anymore, but I am sure I could get a new one unless those are cancelled due to COVID?

Considering trying to hit about 2200 EQDs before end of the AA calendar year, Jan 31. I've heard about the British Airways trick, but I am looking to go to Brazil to work from there for two-three weeks chasing Hyatt Globalist. Is there a British Airways style way to earn 2200 EQDs while only spending say half that, or similar? AA doesn't seem to have any good South American partners with a good setup like this unless I am mistaken?

Edit, Brazil because their Hyatt Macae property is like 45 a night, oceanfront.
I would happily also go to London for their one less expensive Hyatt, but this new strain of COVID, plus the Brazilians have more stuff open...
Just an FYI... The earning status calendar year is the calendar year JAN-DEC while the Status Level year lasts FEB-JAN. Which means you need 2200 EQDs by 12/31.

So AA status for this year and next are:

You have no partners for LATAM with the code-share trick but you do have the AAVacations trick... If you book Flight+Hotel (which doesn't need to match the whole length) on many occasions you can get a fare with a "*" next to the code-fare and that would credit as a "Special Fare"

There is a Y+ LAX to GIG for $990 but an initial playing on AA Vacations didn't give the necessary "*"

$892 on the 26/29 via GRU
Old Dec 20, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Just an FYI... The earning status calendar year is the calendar year JAN-DEC while the Status Level year lasts FEB-JAN. Which means you need 2200 EQDs by 12/31.
Ack, good to know. Ugh. I am used to various dates and schedules and programs from going to Vegas, where Cosmo has a rolling 12 months and others do Jan to December or some other set 12 months but earning in one and benefiting in another, madness! Good to know. So nevermind then, lol!!!! Already booked for December, GSP-BUR Dec 29 and LAX-PVR Dec 30... for cheap.

It sure would be nice if I could get the EQDs for my boyfriends flights I pay for... =P
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Ack, good to know. Ugh. I am used to various dates and schedules and programs from going to Vegas, where Cosmo has a rolling 12 months and others do Jan to December or some other set 12 months but earning in one and benefiting in another, madness! Good to know. So nevermind then, lol!!!! Already booked for December, GSP-BUR Dec 29 and LAX-PVR Dec 30... for cheap.

It sure would be nice if I could get the EQDs for my boyfriends flights I pay for... =P
You can't get EQDs but you can get benefits via Business Extra
Old Dec 24, 2020, 8:00 am

Departure Airport: Very flexible - PHL or any airport within about 2-3hrs of PHL
Miles Needed: 15,000 EQM and $1700 EQD
Required Spend or Budget: As little as possible to make this work
Available Travel Dates: Any days before the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: doesn't matter

I know I'm a little bit late to try and pull this off but I'm EP and if I can hit the above EQD and EQM I'd hit EP again for this year which means I'd have status until Jan 2022, right? What are my best options?
Old Dec 24, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by viperboy
Departure Airport: Very flexible - PHL or any airport within about 2-3hrs of PHL
Miles Needed: 15,000 EQM and $1700 EQD
Required Spend or Budget: As little as possible to make this work
Available Travel Dates: Any days before the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: doesn't matter

I know I'm a little bit late to try and pull this off but I'm EP and if I can hit the above EQD and EQM I'd hit EP again for this year which means I'd have status until Jan 2022, right? What are my best options?
Yes to status. A reminder I recently learned you must complete your earnings by Dec 31 though. Not an expert here, but to expedite this for someone who is, would you like to go sit your butt in a foreign country for a while like Europe? Or do you want to turn around virtually same day? My best two guesses are either spend exactly 1700 flying from PHL or NYC to the West Coast and back, like LAX, in First class. That should do it. Better yet, PHL to NYC to LAX and return. If you want to spend LESS than 1700, you're gonna have to fly one way to Asia or RT to Europe/Turkey (and depending on where, legitimately quarantine and/or do multiple COVID tests) on an AA partner. Which would you prefer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.