FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Package deals cut biz class by 50%, thoughts on this approach?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/2001307-package-deals-cut-biz-class-50-thoughts-approach.html)

aglazen Dec 26, 2019 8:42 am

Package deals cut biz class by 50%, thoughts on this approach??

My first stop to save on biz class to europe is the "package" offerings on Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia. They provide hotel and biz class air often for 50% off if purchased separately. The best thing is that you can indicate that you only need a hotel for one night (in case you already have rooms or are renting airbnb) . We always indicate we need a hotel for the last night by the airport. I've never found a flaw in this simple technique. Any else?

Snuggs Dec 26, 2019 9:17 am

Have you had any luck with booking open jaw though any of the OTA?

aglazen Dec 26, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Snuggs (Post 31877652)
Have you had any luck with booking open jaw though any of the OTA?

'
Nope, never tried. I focus on saving money on biz class to europe, and I've never found a better waythan this.

giggity32 Dec 26, 2019 9:33 am

The best part is, Orbitz then lets you cancel the hotel and get a refund without changing the airline ticket. Just did it this week

kirker Dec 26, 2019 9:35 am

Pretty sure this thread is off-topic. This is a well-known trick, and we've had several threads on it just in the past few weeks.

Pittie Pup Dec 26, 2019 10:06 am

I'm intrigued in trying this "bundle" pricing purchase. Would I be at the mercy of dealing with Orbitz, or another OTA, during an IRROPS event? Do the miles still accrue to the appropriate FF program at the rate they would normally earn for the fare bucket, class etc?

aglazen Dec 26, 2019 11:14 am

I've never had a problem . I usually book package thru orbitz or expedia. I go right to the airline to make changes on the flights. Usually the rooms are nonrefundable, but i rarely select more than one night an way.
I just booked Cleveland/Lisbon. United charges $4500. For the exact samel flights, the total with one hotel night was $3050.

mctaste Dec 26, 2019 1:18 pm

Op do you work for orbitz?

Sky Dreamer Dec 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Do you have any other good tips that you can share on this? Does it always work with giving a discount- have you tried to Asia as well with this?

Thanks!

hotturnip Dec 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pittie Pup (Post 31877774)
I'm intrigued in trying this "bundle" pricing purchase. Would I be at the mercy of dealing with Orbitz, or another OTA, during an IRROPS event? Do the miles still accrue to the appropriate FF program at the rate they would normally earn for the fare bucket, class etc?

I do this regularly. I typically use Expedia--for some reason I seem to get the cheapest results there, even though they're all one company. Maybe because I've built up status on Expedia?

If it's "day-of" IRROPS, the airlines will handle it. For schedule changes, I get emails from both airline and Expedia. I fortunately haven't had any really serious problems to deal with, but I imagine having to call Expedia would be a nightmare, as their CS is atrocious.

As far as earning miles: this varies according to airline and program. For example:

Last April, earning on Mileage Plus, package cost with 6 nights hotel in Athens was around $3K:
Flying LH ATL-FRA-ATH in Z
5,737 miles earned; 8,606 PQM; 0 PQD (ineligible)
Flying LH ATH-MUC-YYZ
5,078 miles earned; 7,618 PQM; 0 PQD (ineligible)
Flying AC YYZ-ATL
1,478 miles; 1,109 PQM; 0 PQD (ineligible)

Notice these were all on partner airlines. Earning directly through UA may differ. Plus, UA has recently changed their earning rules; I think you may be able to get some PQDs now?

Delta is more generous. Price including 5 nights hotel was about $3K. This was all ticketed in Z through KL, with mix of DL and KL metal.
ATL-MAD-AMS-ATL
15,471 miles earned; 14,467 MQM; $3,857 MQD

If you're getting a low-price Biz fare (and you nearly always are with these packages) it's advantageous to ticket with Skyteam partners because their earning chart is better than Delta's for this kind of fare. If you're booking a package with coach, you'll actually earn twice as much by ticketing through DL. Delta calls these "exception fares" and has its own chart for it. Using these packages has enabled me to be Gold Medallion for 3 years.

You really just have to research this carefully for every airline. I've never booked a package using OneWorld partners, so no experience with that.

lilkid28 Dec 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Does this work if originating in other regions?

Rowyourboat Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Is there a website tailored to find these business packages? I know Expedia/Orbitz allow search but it is a real PITA.

Aussienarelle Dec 26, 2019 4:11 pm

I had not appreciated the price differential was so great. I now have a new way to purchase tickets going forward. Why do the airlines allow such a great differemtial between the OTAs and their own website? Guess there are enough ignorant travellers like me.

hotturnip Dec 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat (Post 31878429)
Is there a website tailored to find these business packages? I know Expedia/Orbitz allow search but it is a real PITA.

No.

You have to do the legwork to get these deals. Use Google Flights to scan and find what dates have generally lower fares. Then go to Expedia, etc., and compare with a package deal.

JHIN Dec 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Could I book a package on-line originating from West coast USA and take a couple days layover in NYC before continuing to Europe to finish the trip with a direct flight back to the west coast? Or do I need to call them for this sorta thing? Thx