Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

NYC (JFK, LGA, EWR) mileage run(s) needed - 4th quarter 2019

Old Sep 11, 19, 9:46 am
Original Poster

i'm on track for gold this year but thought i'd start now and shoot for platinum.

Departure Airport: JFK preferred, all NYC area ok
MQMs Needed: 10k - 25k
Required Spend or Budget: spend met; budget flexible
Available Travel Dates: late-sept through mid-dec
Required Metal or Codeshares: ?

any tips on finding great MR fares myself?

are people running software to find them or just entering date ranges in ITA matrix and scanning for low fares, or something i haven't thought of?

Old Sep 11, 19, 11:03 am
_fx

Programs: AS MVPG
My preferred method for searching, assuming you are flexible:

1. Open Google Flights and search a random, but specific route with specific dates.
2. Add carrier filters for your preferred airlines.
3. Change the destination to a much broader one (e.g., "Asia").
4. Change dates from "Specific dates" to "Flexible dates."

This will transition GF to map view and show the best prices for all routes in the time-frame you've specified.

It's not perfect, but it gives a general sense of where you can go for what price, and it's pretty easy to discern routes that will earn a lot of miles.

If you have more specific criteria (e.g., same-day turn, can only fly certain days, etc), then Matrix is a better option.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:11 am

Programs: DL
Check Business class on Aeromexico from JFK to Guatemala City via Mexico City (I) class for around $570. It's a lot of bang for the buck. One very important recommendation, though, is to keep your boarding passes and documentation - especially showing your Delta SkyMiles number. My last flight on Aeromexico didn't post to my SkyMiles account, but when I submitted the documentation, it posted to account.

Another possibility that gets even more miles is Aeromexico from JFK to Santo Domingo, DR, but that requires an overnight flight to Santo Domingo, which I found unpleasant (I had a cold and I hate red-eyes).

I've found that this is the best option for racking up miles, and importantly MQD's without having to fly a really long distance. Try to get the 787-9 service that leaves JFK at 3:20pm and returns at 7:15am from MEX. You get lie-flat seats in a reverse herringbone configuration and it's quite a nice experience.

This is the mileage credit I got for JFK-MEX-SDQ-MEX-JFK...

Last edited by sayle1058; Sep 11, 19 at 11:16 am
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:21 am

I'm doing the JFK-MEX-GUA-MEX-JFK run in a couple of weeks. Leaves JFK at 3:20pm on the 787-9 with a connecting flight landing in Guatemala City at 10:50pm. Inexpensive overnight in GUA with return flight the next morning. If you want to get back to JFK on the next day, you can land at 12:25am, but I chose to take the 787-9 the following morning from MEX. I really like Mexico City and enjoy spending an evening there. It also gets you 787-9 vs. the 737-800. To me the experience on the 787-9 and the extra time in Mexico City makes an inexpensive overnight in MEX well worth it, but that's me. I'm leaving on Friday afternoon from JFK and back in NYC early afternoon on Sunday.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:24 am

This is a great resource for calculating SkyMiles.... https://fly.qux.us/smcalc/
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:50 am

Before my JFK-MEX-SDQ mileage run, I had more than enough MQM's but was severely lacking in MQD's (just under $500). I had rollover MQM's from last year (about 19k), and have either flown other airlines or used award travel for most of this year. In three trips (including an inexpensive LGA-ATL economy ticket next week that isn't a mileage run), I will have gone from no status for 2020 to Gold status. The total cost for the two Aeromexico biz class runs totalled under $1200. Here's my SkyMiles calculations (this is starting after the JFK-MEX-SDQ run...). I'm not thinking it's worth doing another one to get Platinum, but it's doable.

Last edited by sayle1058; Sep 11, 19 at 11:56 am
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP doesn't need MQDs, so something like SIN or ANC could work well, especially if these can be routed creatively.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:58 am

I get that. Just putting my experience out there for anyone who might benefit. Still a lot of MQM's without traveling to the other side of the world. I find Aeromexico a good option to avoid super long overnight flights.
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

i like mexico city as well and have a friend there, so i think i'll try your suggestion this fall. thanks!!
sayle1058 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx View Post
My preferred method for searching, assuming you are flexible:

1. Open Google Flights and search a random, but specific route with specific dates.
2. Add carrier filters for your preferred airlines.
3. Change the destination to a much broader one (e.g., "Asia").
4. Change dates from "Specific dates" to "Flexible dates."

This will transition GF to map view and show the best prices for all routes in the time-frame you've specified.

It's not perfect, but it gives a general sense of where you can go for what price, and it's pretty easy to discern routes that will earn a lot of miles.

If you have more specific criteria (e.g., same-day turn, can only fly certain days, etc), then Matrix is a better option.
this is gold. i never knew it was possible to search like this. THANK YOU.
_fx likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 8:19 am

Awesome! Enjoy Mexico City!
Old Sep 20, 19, 2:49 pm

Programs: THAI ROP SL, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, SQ KF GO, LCAH GO, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer View Post
this is gold. i never knew it was possible to search like this.
THANK YOU.
The internet / travel search tools & airlines / FFP certainly did change quite a bit in the 4-5 years that you were away from FT

I did a similar search as you (NYC-SE Asia) the last 1-2 weeks (it may have been longer than that if you included trying to redeem an award ticket on SQ - I wasn't hopeful being on the wait-list so I just paid a cash fare)
It seems like you are searching for business class C/J fares while I was looking for a one way ticket in Y/PE to get me home
It works the same way basically - in addition to using Google Flights (GF), you could also search using an aggregator like Skyscanner or any of the OTA's
In my case, GF worked but Trip.com & Priceline.com came very close too - at one point Trip.com was pricing way below GF but that didn't last very long ..

And sometimes, OTA's can work out cheaper than what you find available on GF - in my case, the flight / date that I wanted was still on GF but it wasn't anymore on the OTA coz I waited too long to decide (it was supposed to be JFK-SIN but price was better on JFK-BKK on the exact date that I wanted)

I wasn't looking for a specific airline or alliance but I would have preferred that it was not Delta/SkyTeam
(KE's awesome though but since I have no status on ST alliance, that would mean no lounge & shower at ICN .. )

Finally, J class promos are harder to come by than Y so it might take a while ... and if you are looking for a specific alliance then that'll take even longer
Good luck & I hope you hit Platinum soon on your preferred airline/alliance

p/s it's worth it - I'm loving my OWE & although I won't get to keep it after 4/2020, I do hope to get it back in 2021
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:33 pm
_fx

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
The internet / travel search tools & airlines / FFP certainly did change quite a bit in the 4-5 years that you were away from FT
They certainly have, but IMO for all the different sites out there, nothing comes even remotely close to the power of Google / Matrix.

Search this Thread