First MR help

Old Jul 28, 19, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

First MR help

Hi All,

I'm trying to book my first (AF) mileage run - i need 12XP to get FlyingBlue Gold before the end of August.
I know this means at least 1 internal connection and 2 international flights. I'm not looking to get masses of XP, just the minimum i need for the cheapest price possible.
I've been using Google Flights, ITA and AF to try and find suitable destinations but either i'm searching the wrong way, or my expectations need "re-alignment" .
The cheapest i've yet come up start from about 350euro, all which start at Paris but that's not especially practical and somewhat more expensive than i expected.
What is the best way to search for such flights?

I know that if i book an FB reward ticket then i don't earn XP. How about if i use points+cash instead?

TIA,

Mal
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by MalFr View Post
Hi All,

I'm trying to book my first (AF) mileage run - i need 12XP to get FlyingBlue Gold before the end of August.
I know this means at least 1 internal connection and 2 international flights. I'm not looking to get masses of XP, just the minimum i need for the cheapest price possible.
I've been using Google Flights, ITA and AF to try and find suitable destinations but either i'm searching the wrong way, or my expectations need "re-alignment" .
The cheapest i've yet come up start from about 350euro, all which start at Paris but that's not especially practical and somewhat more expensive than i expected.

I know that if i book an FB reward ticket then i don't earn XP. How about if i use points+cash instead?

TIA,

Mal
Is flying from another French city an option?

XXX-CDG-AMS-CDG should get you 12 XP points (where XXX is some city in France, domestic flights earn 2 XP points while international flights less than 2000 miles earn 5 XP points in economy)

e.g. NCE-SXB-AMS-NCE, August 24, $264

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Jul 28, 19 at 2:32 pm
Old Jul 28, 19, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

That's the kind of thing i was already looking for, but all the regional airports near to me are throwing up prices i wasn't expecting.
How do you flight routes like the Nice one? just plug destinations in at random until the right fare pops up?
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:27 am

That's the kind of thing i was already looking for, but all the regional airports near to me are throwing up prices i wasn't expecting.
How do you flight routes like the Nice one? just plug destinations in at random until the right fare pops up?
Yes, I just plugged in a starting point in France and picked a destination that wasn't too far away (i.e. short international flight.) There has been mention in some of the other threads about sales to Billund so that may be a search option as well.
Old Jul 29, 19, 11:56 am

Programs: More shiny with hotels than airlines.
If flying to another airport is bumping the price, consider the train... You may find a cheap train fare from Paris to Brussels (if not Thalys, go regional with connexion in Lille for instance). From there, you can find some runs, that will account for 17 XP for under 200. Even cheaper with an overnight, but not cheaper enough to pay for the accomodation...

Example :

Old Jul 30, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Hi All,

TIA,

Mal
OP, in your situation, since FB rolls over XPs, perhaps consider doing a business class run to get a headstart for your next membership year?

Search this Thread