Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trans Con R Class vs J class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I fly primary on Alaska Air I found some deals later on this year (November) to go from do 6 Tran Con flights for about $721 (R Class). 15K Total Flying miles with MVPG that would be 30K; plus some of those are JFK to SFO which AS is running double miles on through the end of the year. So it would be an extra 10K miles with that promo going on giving me about 40K total Redeemable miles. Its a lot of miles but also requires nearly two days stuck in economy seat.

Is it better to look for something similar to that or to look for a premium deal on a partner with a paid J ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:09 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Are you trying to get status or just collect miles? AS often has sales that can bring the price down to almost 2cpm ... your price is slightly better, but if you don't need the EQM, it's probably worth a few extra bucks to not spend 2 days flying Y.

Finding a partner J ticket that earns 40k miles for ~$700 is going to be extremely tough. Unless you get very lucky, you can expect to spend more $$. That said, with that extra $$ comes a better flight experience and the opportunity to travel somewhere cool. What that's worth to you is a personal choice.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The key is finding out the incremental class of service bonus you would receive from partner business tickets. This is the amount of bonus miles you would get for elite status purpose. (HINT: most do not give you enough to get to 50K miles*, even if you can find something around 700 USD)

*With partner flights, you need 50K to attain MVPG, not 40K.

50K is circling the circumstance of earth TWICE+.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners?lid=nav:mileage-partners&int=AS_NAV_MP_AirlinePartners_-prodID:MPPartners
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

I am already MVP for next year and I will likely be MVPG by the end of the year or close to it. So I do not really need the status but for the price point its tempting; the being on airplane does not sound fun however. But I also know that is enough miles for a one way ticket to lots of places with AS Partners and that is the only reason why it is tempting.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:40 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
In that case I would just wait for the miles to go on sale. There is no limit on how many you can buy, and flying for 2 days to save ~$100 or so doesn’t seem worth it. Unfortunately the last sale just ended, but you’re not flying until November so there will probably be another one.
Conflipper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.