Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

One way now through EOS including holidays. Many dates available. RT available on China Eastern for around the same rates give or take a few hundred.

KTM>NYC $1034
KTM>WAS $1050
KTM>ORD $1101
KTM>PHX $1213
KTM>LAX $1249
KTM>SFO $1254

Hard to book. Use Google Flights to find dates then use a travel agent or force the fare through using an OTA.

For example, on priceline.com:

1. Use multicity search
2. input KTM to ICN on the day you wish to leave
3. input ICN to DFW as the next segment on the next day
4. input DFW to final city code in the last segment dated for the same date as ICN to DFW

Works on very few OTAs. Can also call in to American Airlines and feed the segments one by one to a ticket agent. When I tried they would not waive the additional $25 call in booking fee, so I booked through the Chase travel portal.

A comfortable way to get a lot of elite miles cheap, and spend a few days in the rich culture of Nepal.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:17 pm

Good find ^.
Also works as r/t for ~$1,600.

Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Zoqfotpik, thank you. Maybe a newbie question, but how were you able to get this on ITA? I typed in the exact citypairs and dates on all 6 segments and got closer to $5000. I would actually like to jump on this (thank the gods for the 24 hour cancel rule).
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:29 am

You need to look for the fare basis, but for simplicity you can search by booking class as well. When you search on ITA, enter /f bc=r in the extension code box. Next you need to know the fare rules. The fare rules limit the applicable transit points. From what I can decipher, you can only transfer once in Asia on a permitted carrier and TPAC on AA. Basically, you can either fly via ICN/HKG, fly AA to LAX/DFW then onwards to your final destination, or get off in LAX/DFW.

Last edited by zoqfotpik; Oct 7, 2018 at 1:37 am
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: NH AMC, EY Guest Silver,MPC GO
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
You need to look for the fare basis, but for simplicity you can search by booking class as well. When you search on ITA, enter /f bc=r in the extension code box. Next you need to know the fare rules. The fare rules limit the applicable transit points. From what I can decipher, you can only transfer once in Asia on a permitted carrier and TPAC on AA. Basically, you can either fly via ICN/HKG, fly AA to LAX/DFW then onwards to your final destination, or get off in LAX/DFW.

Not to mention you could transfer 3 times each way domestically
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:24 am

could further expand into a total of 10sectors, not too bad for a mileage run
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:35 am

Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
One of the few R, J or F fares from this region that has not been pulled by AA. Its been around for a couple of months but it does seem like any exposure of these fares leads to enough bookings that they get pulled... so you delay buying at your peril.
Only one transfer allowed in C3 so that means connecting in HKG or ICN, unless I am missing an exKTM nonstop flight to another AA Asia gateway. Good fare for getting into F on HKGDFW or HKGLAX.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by stephem
Good fare for getting into F on HKGDFW or HKGLAX.
You mean to use a SWU?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by frebay
You mean to use a SWU?
R is considered full fare as per the AA upgrade rules. As a result upgrading with 25k and no copay is at least more accessible to nonEXPs and arguably a better deal that using a SWU (which could be saved for a fare requiring a copay).

Edited to add:
Surprised nobody has noted this. The surcharges when flying KE are noticably lower than routing via HKg w Cathay/Dragon. I was able to get KTM-JFK for $1600 RT for adult and $1300 RT for 2-11 yr olds booking via ICN. You miss the F upgrade potential, but that is a cheap fare!

Last edited by stephem; Oct 7, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:27 pm

It would be great to be able to credit the whole international portion of this to Alaska. But I guess the KE flights, being AA-marketed, wouldn't count?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:14 pm

R is considered full fare as per the AA upgrade rules. As a result upgrading with 25k and no copay is at least more accessible to nonEXPs and arguably a better deal that using a SWU (which could be saved for a fare requiring a copay).

Edited to add:
Surprised nobody has noted this. The surcharges when flying KE are noticably lower than routing via HKg w Cathay/Dragon. I was able to get KTM-JFK for $1600 RT for adult and $1300 RT for 2-11 yr olds booking via ICN. You miss the F upgrade potential, but that is a cheap fare!

sadly both KE or KA is not operating their KTM sector on daily basis and it may not fits everybodys schedule

Last edited by sydneyguy1234; Oct 7, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian

very nice fare for TP run, sadly i am not going to JFK
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I was about to book this, but sadly it looks like you can't use Avios to upgrade the AA segment that's in R
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat

Edited to add:
Good to know. Thanks.

Anyone able to add a jfk-lax segment?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.