Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Bryan Sklar
Anyone find a way to get TO KTM from USA to be able to take advantage of these fares?
I booked this itinerary with an extended stopover in SIN and used some frequent flyer miles to get up to KTM. Maybe that'll work for you?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:03 am
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
I am able to price KTM-HKG-DFW-LAX-JFK-DCA on ITA and AA for 2360USD RT in all J plus transcon A321T segments.
anyone is able to price out more segments to max out Tier Points?
I tried to add a stop in PHX between DFW and LAX but it does not price.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: NH AMC, EY Guest Silver,MPC GO
Originally Posted by Guanran Wang
I am able to price KTM-HKG-DFW-LAX-JFK-DCA on ITA and AA for 2360USD RT in all J plus transcon A321T segments.
anyone is able to price out more segments to max out Tier Points?
I tried to add a stop in PHX between DFW and LAX but it does not price.

Three transfer within US on each way should be the limit as per fare rules said
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: air new zealand
thanks op!
one minor issue, KA is cathay pacific- dragon air

i think you mean Korean Air , which is KE
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bryan Sklar
Anyone find a way to get TO KTM from USA to be able to take advantage of these fares?
I took Qatar, as an award trip. Keep in mind that the (blind) descent into KTM requires advanced piloting skills, including training in manual landing. I recall that Korean-trained pilots were deficient in manual skills (or at least their crashes were attributed that that cause). You may want to consider that factor in choosing your airline.
The take-off from KTM is not as hard, and most major airlines can do it perfectly.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by simp2018
thanks op!
one minor issue, KA is cathay pacific- dragon air

i think you mean Korean Air , which is KE
For what it’s worth, this can be routed via ICN and DFW too, with the first segment on KE. This routing gets you a better seat for the first segment than KA (and an opportunity to sit in KE F because they run a three cabin plane but only Y and J). But no upgrades to F on AA since the DFW-ICN route has no F cabin.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:07 am
formerly Guanran Wang

Is it possible to route the TPAC segments on CX metal?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Is it possible to route the TPAC segments on CX metal?

Nope as posted upthread, TPAC must be AA Metal.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:31 am
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Nope as posted upthread, TPAC must be AA Metal.
Yes, I found that it requires "R" inventory to be priced at 2K ish price. CX does not offer that fare inventory.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:39 am

Yes, I found that it requires "R" inventory to be priced at 2K ish price. CX does not offer that fare inventory.
That’s not the restriction that matters. Many fares have a bucket for the primary or issuing carrier and a “map” that shows what fare bucket you need to (or can) use on other “allowed” carriers. The problem here is not whether CX has an R bucket or not, it is that the AA fare rules specifically state that the transpac segment can only be on an AA flight operated by AA. So that means no CX operated flight is allowed for that segment. It’s really easy to pull up the fare rules in ITA and read them.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:24 am
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by stephem

That’s not the restriction that matters. Many fares have a bucket for the primary or issuing carrier and a “map” that shows what fare bucket you need to (or can) use on other “allowed” carriers. The problem here is not whether CX has an R bucket or not, it is that the AA fare rules specifically state that the transpac segment can only be on an AA flight operated by AA. So that means no CX operated flight is allowed for that segment. It’s really easy to pull up the fare rules in ITA and read them.
I was looking at the fare rules for stopovers and couldn't figure out if an HKG stopover is allowed. It says unlimited stopovers but mentions area 1 2 and 3 which confuses me. Any idea? TIA
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:53 am

You can also book flight on KA & CX metal, prices comes out between $1200 and $1300
Do the multicity search and you can have stopover
KTM -JFK comes out around 1300
KA does not credit to Alaska but CX will be good for mileage on Alaska, and 16 hour from hongkong to New York in good biz seats
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:55 pm

The CX fare allows cheap stopovers in HKG, the AA fare has a HIP charge so only US cities yield reasonable stopovers.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:47 am

Transiting at KTM was a lot easier than I expected it to be based on everything I'd read. The 1-day transit visa is $5 in case your feeder flight arrives before the check-in desk for your airline is open. They had no interest in allowing me to sit at the Transit Desk until it opened a few hours later. They actually had some dude personally take me through the process, skipping all the lines, once they determined they wanted me out of the transit desk area. I have no idea why that happened, though. If you're arriving in business, use the computer kiosk for your transit visa and just enter KTM as the hotel address in all relevant fields It. shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes if you beat the rush. Expect to have to do this if you arrive before check-in opens for your flight.

There's no luggage storage or anything and I didn't feel like finding a hotel to work something out with on short notice, so I just carried my suitcase with me to go visit the Shree Pashupatinath Temple area. Even though they didn't let me in the main complex because I was carrying a large carry-on roller bag, it was still fun to sit around the marketplace that's set up down there and soak in the atmosphere. I saw a monkey steal someone's cheesy poofs out of their hand as they were walking, which made the day very entertaining.

The airport is full of hustlers, including people who, apparently, think standing next to you and staring at you for ten minutes will be enough to give them money. Also, the bathroom facilities might have been the single most vile smelling place I've ever been to. Once the check-in desk for your flight opens, things are pretty smooth. The Radisson lounge might be one of the weirdest lounges I've ever been to. There's a bar with a deli style counter where you can request various dishes that are prepackaged and just need to be handed to you.

Anyways, not as bad as expected!
Old May 21, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Did you fly Korean business? Were you able to snag one of those first class seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.