Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by rkaradi
So the million dollar question...anyone have a way to book AA flights across the pond but with CX flight numbers so I can get mileage credit based on the AA chart for partners. Oh and I still want to upgrade to F with AA miles. Anyone have a way to do this?
This is not possible with this fare. As stated somewhere in this thread (or one of the other exKTM AA fare threads) this is an AA fare that requires travel on AA coded and AA operated flights only for the transPac segment. You cannot book this fare with any CX coded flight over the water.
If you want CX codes, just book the CX fare from KTM. They have I fares that are nearly identical in price. Of course you cannot have your cake and eat it to, it will be on CX metal and so you cannot upgrade to F w AA instruments.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stephem
If you want CX codes, just book the CX fare from KTM. They have I fares that are nearly identical in price. Of course you cannot have your cake and eat it to, it will be on CX metal and so you cannot upgrade to F w AA instruments.

But you may be able to upgrade your CX flight to First using Asia Miles, and get real F instead of AA's inferior F.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777

But you may be able to upgrade your CX flight to First using Asia Miles, and get real F instead of AA's inferior F.
While CX's F is significantly better than AA's, it's also significantly more miles to upgrade (I think HKG-East Coast US is 65k to go from J to F with CX) and more difficult to find space. So CX F >>> AA F, but AA F is a bit easier to score.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: marriott platinum, AS Gold
Sxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, type so many words to disappear.
I use ITmatrix which share in another thread. But just change the date still cannot get the similar result.
What I want, is start from KTM to US, any city is OK. Just get as much miles as possible to credit AS, the othere miles will credit to JL.
Can anyone share with me how to set in ITmatrix? so I can learn and use by myself. Via ICN/HKG is OK for me.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by hellointer
Sxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, type so many words to disappear.
I use ITmatrix which share in another thread. But just change the date still cannot get the similar result.
What I want, is start from KTM to US, any city is OK. Just get as much miles as possible to credit AS, the othere miles will credit to JL.
Can anyone share with me how to set in ITmatrix? so I can learn and use by myself. Via ICN/HKG is OK for me.
Here's a screenshot that shows what I went with.

You can also do one-way. If you'd prefer the CX fare:

Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I'm looking at doing this originating from SIN. We would fly MI to KTM, arriving at 9:05, exactly 2 hours before the KA flight to HKG departs.

It looks like the MCT at KTM is just 45 minutes, international to international. I also believe MI has a baggage interline agreement with KA (but not with AA) so we wouldn't have to get our bags at KTM. Am I missing anything?

The layover at HKG is 12 hours. I guess we could collect our bags and get a day room at the hotel connected to the airport. Or, could we also present ourselves to a transit desk and request for the bags to be checked the rest of the way to the US and just stay airside. I'm not sure how adventurous we will feel after the 4 hour red-eye in a recliner.

Last edited by work2fly; Apr 9, 2019 at 5:22 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by work2fly
I'm looking at doing this originating from SIN. We would fly MI to KTM, arriving at 9:05, exactly 2 hours before the KA flight to HKG departs.

It looks like the MCT at KTM is just 45 minutes, international to international. I also believe MI has a baggage interline agreement with KA (but not with AA) so we wouldn't have to get our bags at KTM. Am I missing anything?

The layover at HKG is 12 hours. I guess we could collect our bags and get a day room at the hotel connected to the airport. Or, could we also present ourselves to a transit desk and request for the bags to be checked the rest of the way to the US and just stay airside. I'm not sure how adventurous we will feel after the 4 hour red-eye in a recliner.
haha same with me, I also fly from SIN
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by nickohrn
Here's a screenshot that shows what I went with.

You can also do one-way. If you'd prefer the CX fare:

Thanks, but only can see 3 segement in one direction. I can see there could be more stops...But cannot find it.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by hellointer
Thanks, but only can see 3 segement in one direction. I can see there could be more stops...But cannot find it.

Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Not a ton of wiggle room there. I wouldn't want to risk it on separate tickets. Especially given the frequent delays at KTM.

I flew KA103 in January and it's not a great flight. The timing is pretty terrible for NA connections, which is reflected in the price. I'd suggest booking a day room somewhere near the airport if possible. But it will probably be a bit pricey. I rented a room for 6 hrs at Aerotel in HKG (airside near gate 35). It was good enough to get some sleep (and saved me the 30-45min immigration queue), but not cheap by any means and only workable for a solo traveler (tiny "bed").
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever

I booked this flight for May and then got a note last month that the KA flight has been re-timed to 9:15pm. So I’d be careful, i didnt really look to see if its a seasonal thing or why my May flight is 2+ hours earlier... but it would screw you on your connection. I think you have to be farely risk averse to try a 2 hour connection on a non alliance carrier in KTM of all places.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by stephem

I booked this flight for May and then got a note last month that the KA flight has been re-timed to 9:15pm. So I’d be careful, i didnt really look to see if its a seasonal thing or why my May flight is 2+ hours earlier... but it would screw you on your connection. I think you have to be farely risk averse to try a 2 hour connection on a non alliance carrier in KTM of all places.
Especially since the poster also mentions interline baggage -- checking bags when doing separate tickets with a 2 hour intl-to-intl connection seems very risky.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Especially since the poster also mentions interline baggage -- checking bags when doing separate tickets with a 2 hour intl-to-intl connection seems very risky.
Agree on that. With that tight schedule, HBO is the only way to go, but still not risk-free.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Thanks for the advice, which I will heed.

If I do this, I'll either try to fly into KTM on the KA flight and do an immediate turn (with our bags in HKG), or find some other flight with a much longer connection.

Last edited by work2fly; Apr 10, 2019 at 9:33 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Anyone find a way to get TO KTM from USA to be able to take advantage of these fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.