Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Booking with a specific fare basis using OTA?

Booking with a specific fare basis using OTA?

Old May 17, 19, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*S
Question Booking with a specific fare basis using OTA?

OK, here is my challenge.... Worked out the itinerary I wanted (Spoiler: F ! ..-GHT) follow by bookwithmatrix.com naturally... It only give me 2 options, either FN or Priceline.

Priceline shows much higher price than what ITA does, so that's out the window.

FN does show the correct price with the specific fare basis (tested with another fare basis from ITA, FN shows correct price as well). So far so good? First problem, FN booking interface is kinda crappy IMHO, doesn't show the fare basis you are booking (unlike Expeida). Called FN, CSR said you have to make the actual booking by paying first before they can confirm/tell you what fare basis is booked under... LT;DR FN charge for the higher fare basis price and booked into the lowest fare basis (same class tho). And take some convincing for FN to cancel the ticket w/o penalty (Called right after clicking the payment button)

OK... Is there an OTA I can specify the fare basis during booking (and hope it comes out correctly), other than going to a human travel agent? (and do not want to call airline directly...)

BTW, had a long chat with Expeida, the person I spoke to understand what I want, but they can't book with specific fare basis (even manually)...

p.s. I tried to search the forums, maybe I don't have the right keywords, I can't seems to find anything.
Old May 17, 19, 7:26 pm

ITA is known to pull fares that are not available for booking, this includes fare mapping errors on specific carriers/routes and codeshares. You may want to use ITA powertools, see if it works for you.
Old May 17, 19, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik View Post
ITA is known to pull fares that are not available for booking, this includes fare mapping errors on specific carriers/routes and codeshares. You may want to use ITA powertools, see if it works for you.
Yes, I know sometimes ITA pull fares that's not available for booking. But in this case it is valid and bookable. Just need either a capable travel agent who understand fare basis or an OTA somehow able to book with specifics...

I looked at ITA powertools, seems like it is only good at booking complicated itinerary and/or fare class but not specific fare basis/rules.
Old May 17, 19, 9:13 pm

I don't know of an OTA that can book specific fare basis. Would you be able to share the itinerary? Perhaps I can look into it further.
Old May 17, 19, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

It's SK, multi-city. (Seems to be a known problem with SAS website for few years, not able to book multi-city flights online)

GO LIGHT - TXXXGHT
-vs-
GO SMART - TXXXEUM

So far all OTA I tried only gives GO LIGHT fare. The only light I saw was with FN showing the correct price for GO SMART, but after payment, still booked as GO LIGHT (but with GO SMART fare!) And confirmed on SAS website showing 0 check-in bag..
Old May 17, 19, 10:10 pm

origin, destination?
Old May 17, 19, 11:46 pm

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
Ive heard people use a company called propeller travel.
Old May 18, 19, 5:15 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
[Delete]
Old May 19, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Contact Jason (NYCFlyer on FlyerTalk). Hes a T and understands these issues well. Plus, he gives this community a lot of tips.

Search this Thread