Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

R there ever bus class sale fares USA-Australia on JAL, Qantas, Emirates or Fiji?

R there ever bus class sale fares USA-Australia on JAL, Qantas, Emirates or Fiji?

Old May 13, 2019, 5:13 am
Original Poster

hey there!

I’m new to the forum so if im asking a question that’s been asked hundreds of times before just let me know where to look! 😄

So ive just done another grueling five day trip lax-melb Australia economy. I do a few a year as well as a lot of USA domestic.

And I’m now at the stage where I can not hack flying economy USA to Australia anymore and premium isn’t much better. So I figure perhaps the best thing to do is buy one bus class flight a year to from Australia, this will keep my gold status on Alaskan (provided I do the bus class flight on Alaska partners), and then use points for all the other flights I might want to do during the year.

So yes I will have the outlay of one business class USA-Australia fare a year but the other flights I can strategically book using points and not have to worry about losing my status.

i mean the ultimate way for making sure I keep my Alaska gold status would be a return business fare on emirates lax to melb. Hell of a long flight but in luxury so totally bearable. And I would be clocking up so many miles.

my question is though, are there ever business class fare sales on Alaska partners (ie Qantas, Emirates, Fiji air, American , japan or Cathay ) from USA to Australia?

Are there ever return fares for say under $3000?

thanks so much everyone.... I’m new to the business class world so would love any advice!

xx
Old May 13, 2019, 7:15 am

My suggestion is that you put out fare alerts and subscribe to this forum.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Elizabethh
My suggestion is that you put out fare alerts and subscribe to this forum.

Ok thanks so much!
Old May 14, 2019, 8:42 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Prices will of course depend greatly on when you are looking to travel and sometimes on your trip length as well. I don't know about pricing in the US-Australia market, but even if $3000 might be possible in an off-season, if you are trying to travel during peak times or holidays then forget about it.

Originally Posted by Emjay99
So ive just done another grueling five day trip lax-melb Australia economy. I do a few a year as well as a lot of USA domestic.

And I’m now at the stage where I can not hack flying economy USA to Australia anymore and premium isn’t much better. So I figure perhaps the best thing to do is buy one bus class flight a year to from Australia, this will keep my gold status on Alaskan (provided I do the bus class flight on Alaska partners), and then use points for all the other flights I might want to do during the year.
Check your math on this... A round trip LAX-MEL in business on Qantas should earn you about 35,600 miles, and if you fly Emirates through Dubai that would be about 70,000 miles. Not a bad amount, but if you will still be going to Australia more than once a year, one way in business will cost 55,000+ miles (economy will be 40,000+), and availability can be quite limited.

If you will be earning miles from credit cards or other sources then of course that will help too, but it still might not get you as far as you think.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
One thing to consider might be finding a TPAC business fare to a destination in Asia, and then adding a coach segment to AU. (Considering you're looking at JAL anyway, I assume you don't mind connecting in N. Asia.)

Not sure where in the US you are, but I'm guessing west coast if you're an Alaska elite. For one example -- Hainan (an AS partner, though no COS bonus on some of these fares) has run frequent deals in J on LAX-PEK for ~$2,100:

HU J: LAX - (CKG/CTU) - PEK rt $2075

Adding on PEK-MEL would be fairly reasonable. Lots of other examples; e.g., there was a recent AM sale SFO-NRT.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Ooh ok!! That’s all very good information! Thanks so much!!

re points, I need to fly 50,000 miles to keep gold status on Alaska but obviously there is the bonus for flying business (which I can’t work out if it’s 50 per cent or 150 per cent of miles flown on Qantas?)...

Yes for sure business to Asia could be a goer... I’m in LA... and I’m totally cool with the stopover.... I haven’t looked into Hainan at all... have you flown them?

Thanks again everyone!! This forum is amazing!!

Old May 17, 2019, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpe
Prices will of course depend greatly on when you are looking to travel and sometimes on your trip length as well. I don't know about pricing in the US-Australia market, but even if $3000 might be possible in an off-season, if you are trying to travel during peak times or holidays then forget about it.

Check your math on this... A round trip LAX-MEL in business on Qantas should earn you about 35,600 miles, and if you fly Emirates through Dubai that would be about 70,000 miles. Not a bad amount, but if you will still be going to Australia more than once a year, one way in business will cost 55,000+ miles (economy will be 40,000+), and availability can be quite limited.

If you will be earning miles from credit cards or other sources then of course that will help too, but it still might not get you as far as you think.
yes absolutely agree... I’ve got the Alaska credit card earning miles but it still won’t go that far.... but worth trying to sort out... main priority is keeping status of course and then the added bonus would be getting business class flights...

thanks so much!!
Old May 17, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Agreed with above

I'd agree with the above and keep an eye out for alerts on mistake fares. I snagged a RT for just over $1500 in January, but it was United Polaris ORD-LAX-SYD, followed by Air New Zealand business SYD-AKL-SFO, then United SFO-ORD.

I think those fares were a mistake put out by NZ, but I booked it and they honored it... Less than $3k is a blessing. Too long to fly in economy.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I've just done another gruelling five day trip LAX-MEL Australia economy. I do a few a year as well as a lot of USA domestic.
<snip>

Thanks so much everyone.... I’m new to the business class world so would love any advice!
This will be as good as its gets--->AA/QF J SFO-MEL under $3500RT

$3000 one way is not that unusual
Old May 22, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
hey there!

I’m new to the forum so if im asking a question that’s been asked hundreds of times before just let me know where to look! 😄

So yes I will have the outlay of one business class USA-Australia fare a year but the other flights I can strategically book using points and not have to worry about losing my status.

i mean the ultimate way for making sure I keep my Alaska gold status would be a return business fare on emirates lax to melb. Hell of a long flight but in luxury so totally bearable. And I would be clocking up so many miles.

my question is though, are there ever business class fare sales on Alaska partners (ie Qantas, Emirates, Fiji air, American , japan or Cathay ) from USA to Australia?

thanks so much everyone.... I’m new to the business class world so would love any advice!

xx
Also, United starts SFO/MEL in late October, so there just might be some attractive pricing from competitors for a few weeks later this year.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTravelingConsultant
I'd agree with the above and keep an eye out for alerts on mistake fares. I snagged a RT for just over $1500 in January, but it was United Polaris ORD-LAX-SYD, followed by Air New Zealand business SYD-AKL-SFO, then United SFO-ORD.

I think those fares were a mistake put out by NZ, but I booked it and they honored it... Less than $3k is a blessing. Too long to fly in economy.
meow that’s amazing!!! What a great fare!! Will just have to closely follow the forum.... that would be an amazing pick up getting the fare you got!!
Old May 29, 2019, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Also, United starts SFO/MEL in late October, so there just might be some attractive pricing from competitors for a few weeks later this year.
ooh great advice
should definitely keep an eye on that routing and competing fares

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.