Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two hour turn in MEL: is it possible?

Two hour turn in MEL: is it possible?

Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Transit was easy!

My LAX-MEL was delayed by 30 min, which shortened my lounge time. Took a shower at ANZ. The transit security was quick; I was the only one there.
Thank you for the info.

Edit: Before arrival, FA gave out “Express Pass” for immigration. I hesitated to take one because I did not need one. I took one anyway. Lol!
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:26 am
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
June 2: LAX/MEL/LAX
June 4: LAX/MEL/LAX
June 9: LAX/MEL/LAX
June 11: LAX/MEL/LAX

Four trips so far.
How have the trips gone as a set?

David
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by DELee
How have the trips gone as a set?

David
Really well. It’s a breeze to navigate MEL. I’ve always had 24L on a United B789. It has taken me between 11 and 16 minutes to get from the seat to the NZ Lounge (clock starts when the MEL agent gets on the horn to welcome us.) The security check has always been open with at most one person ahead of me. After the NZ agent calls the flight, if you’re GS or 1K, you can delay about 10 minutes before going back to the gate—GS and 1Ks have separate, pre-boarding “pens.” It’s the easiest MR I’ve done.

If you want even even more miles, BUR or ONT or SNA via SFO or DEN back to LAX then on to MEL, sometimes price out $10 to $40 more, but add from 2,000 to 3,000 more BIS miles. I haven’t done this bookend option yet; I just found it.

MEL is a great MR—when the price is right.

I’m actually now returning from a series of MRs to HKG. It does involve an overnight stay, but it’s a fun trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.