Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two hour turn in MEL: is it possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

There are a number of threads on mileage runs to Melbourne (LAX/MEL), but they're old--around 10 years.

I am looking at UA98/UA99, which has a two hour layover in MEL. I realize I have to go through immigration/customs; I will just have carry on baggage. Is the two hour layover feasible? The threads from 10 years ago suggest that it is, but I am looking for recent information.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
There are a number of threads on mileage runs to Melbourne (LAX/MEL), but they're old--around 10 years.

I am looking at UA98/UA99, which has a two hour layover in MEL. I realize I have to go through immigration/customs; I will just have carry on baggage. Is the two hour layover feasible? The threads from 10 years ago suggest that it is, but I am looking for recent information.
MEL has airside transit. Why do you think you need to go through Australian immigration & customs?
As a guess UA will be expecting to see your Au ETA to allow you to board at LAX.
At MEL I am usually out on the street, with checked luggage ~20-30 minutes after aircraft door open (Au passport and QF/JQ/NZ/VA flights). But it can vary.

• Airport info MELBOURNE (MEL) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki
  • Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki
  • Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
    Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community
  • Au Government web site link --> Australian Electronic Travel Authority AUD$20. For passports holders from Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and United States. Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Au government web site/department issues visas. Other scam web sites just send you data to the Au Gov web site.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA AVIOS , Qanats
It is possible but you are stretching yourself if you are not doing airside transit
if you are going out
normalt exit is quick but entrance can take time
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plantz
It is possible but you are stretching yourself if you are not doing airside transit
if you are going out
normally exit is quick but entrance can take time
Can be a queue for T2 entrance security. But it keeps moving. E-gates are quick.
UA99 looks to leave at 09:30. About the time as other international flights, including flights I often take.
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...hts/Departures (Poor display also shows codeshares. Other airports show operating & codeshares far better)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
MEL has airside transit. Why do you think you need to go through Australian immigration & customs?
As a guess UA will be expecting to see your Au ETA to allow you to board at LAX.
At MEL I am usually out on the street, with checked luggage ~20-30 minutes after aircraft door open (Au passport and QF/JQ/NZ/VA flights). But it can vary.
  • Airport info MELBOURNE (MEL) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki
  • Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki
  • Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
    Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community
  • Au Government web site link --> Australian Electronic Travel Authority AUD$20. For passports holders from Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and United States. Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Au government web site/department issues visas. Other scam web sites just send you data to the Au Gov web site.
Thanks for this great reply.

I thought I read in an earlier thread (2008 vintage?) that passengers had to go through immigration. There were posts about following unlit signs to a locked door, then asking some people to open it. I figured that this issue should be resolved by now, but wanted to check.

United currently is offering fares from the second week in May through the second full week in June for as low as $608 r/t all in.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plantz
if you are going out
normalt exit is quick but entrance can take time
I have no intention of going out; I will do an airside transit. It sounds as if MEL is similar to SIN. I will dig through threads to find out about shower facilities, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..I thought I read in an earlier thread (2008 vintage?) that passengers had to go through immigration. There were posts about following unlit signs to a locked door, then asking some people to open it. I figured that this issue should be resolved by now, but wanted to check....
That would be the transit door, not that I have ever used it. In Au arrivals & departures are physically separate (both airside)

Post 167 in MEL airport thread. Airport info MELBOURNE (MEL) - amenities, transfers, transport
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
To add to Mwenenzi's good info, at MEL international transit is often unmanned (over 50% in my experience in many international transits at MEL). There is a phone on the wall to get someone to come across from departure security, which typically takes 10-20 minutes. Makes it even harder to get back to arrivals - (1) it may be unmanned and (2) they won't take kindly to being called out for someone not actually connecting to an international departure.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That would be the transit door, not that I have ever used it. In Au arrivals & departures are physically separate (both airside)

Post 167 in MEL airport thread. Airport info MELBOURNE (MEL) - amenities, transfers, transport
Thanks again. I read through that thread; the information is excellent.

It probably sounds crazy, but I usually do back-to-back MRs to SIN. If I leave on a Sunday and return on a Tuesday, I head out again on Tuesday evening and return on Thursday. I sleep fine on the B789 and don't suffer jet lag. I brought this topic up, because I am wondering if it's worthwhile to use the option to combine the reservations, just in case something goes wrong with the first flight. I think I lucked on SIN MRs, because I have never had an issue with back-to-back flights.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It probably sounds crazy, but I usually do back-to-back MRs to SIN. If I leave on a Sunday and return on a Tuesday, I head out again on Tuesday evening and return on Thursday.
Nope: this is FT
ContinentalFan and Pocatello like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It probably sounds crazy, but I usually do back-to-back MRs to SIN. If I leave on a Sunday and return on a Tuesday, I head out again on Tuesday evening and return on Thursday. I sleep fine on the B789 and don't suffer jet lag. I brought this topic up, because I am wondering if it's worthwhile to use the option to combine the reservations, just in case something goes wrong with the first flight. I think I lucked on SIN MRs, because I have never had an issue with back-to-back flights.
The only crazy is if you don't let others on FT know what you've learned in those back-to-back MRs as well as how this 2 hour turn works (or doesn't) in MEL.

Good luck!

David
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
The only crazy is if you don't let others on FT know what you've learned in those back-to-back MRs as well as how this 2 hour turn works (or doesn't) in MEL.

Good luck!

David
I am happy to report back. I could write a treatise on Singapore. I am pretty sure that many other FTer's are doing SFO/SIN MRs; I haven't run into anyone yet.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I am happy to report back. I could write a treatise on Singapore. I am pretty sure that many other FTer's are doing SFO/SIN MRs; I haven't run into anyone yet.
Then I encourage you to start a thread, potentially in this forum, or possibly under the Singapore Forum. (I was going to suggest a trip report but that's way too narrow.)

I suspect that a wiki will quickly be added to the thread to allow folks to let other FTs know when they're making the MRs. A similar long running thread is the UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai,

David
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Then I encourage you to start a thread, potentially in this forum, or possibly under the Singapore Forum. (I was going to suggest a trip report but that's way too narrow.)

I suspect that a wiki will quickly be added to the thread to allow folks to let other FTs know when they're making the MRs. A similar long running thread is the UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai,

David
Thanks; it's a good idea. I'll give it a few weeks as I remember all the details I have garnered--best showers, etc. One thing that hit me today, is that I sometimes do same day changes on the SFO/LAX segment. I have been offered some crazy itineraries at no additional cost. On some flights, I could have done SFO/IAD/LAX, SFO/EWR/LAX and SFO/BOS/LAX. If you're on the west coast--and really crazy--it's worth checking this option out for another 5,000 miles or so. I gave it serious consideration once, but since there were only middle seats on the outbound, I decided against it.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Jun 3, 2019 at 12:26 pm Reason: corrected spelling
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
You need to reach out to UA1flyer I have been with Tom when he has done the 98/99 turn.

There may be different bonuses he has being GS but worth an opinion from him
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
You need to reach out to UA1flyer I have been with Tom when he has done the 98/99 turn.

There may be different bonuses he has being GS but worth an opinion from him
Good idea. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.