Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Int'l MR - what to say to border agent

Old Mar 31, 19, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Plat Elite, Accor Gold, Amex MR, Chase UR

Did mileage run from the US to YVR.

I hadn't thought about what I'd say, and when the border agent asked, "What's the purpose of your visit?", without thinking I just said "vacation". He then asked why I'd come all this way just for a one night vacation. So I added that I also get a good amount of airline miles, and then he handed my passport back to me.

I'm probably over-thinking it, but I think I was reluctant to just say that I was taking a flight in order to earn airline points/miles for fear that the border agent wouldn't believe or understand such an answer.

So, what's the best thing to say to a border agent when you're entering a country for one night on a mileage run?
Old Mar 31, 19, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Not to worry. Lot's of us do the same thing. Just tell the agent the truth. I typically say "I'm in transit, departing in the morning/afternoon/in two hours." Agent will likely say "in transit to where" and you just tell him. If he looks confused, tell him you're taking a cheap flight to earn miles. You will not have a problem.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Two words - mileage run. Only expand if necessary.

Don't try to make up a lie. Border agents are trained to see right throw your lies.
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Two words - mileage run. Only expand if necessary.

Don't try to make up a lie. Border agents are trained to see right throw your lies.
That sounds best - just say exactly what it is (mileage run), and then you can explain if you have to.
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:49 pm

sorry, wrong thread

Last edited by zik013; Mar 31, 19 at 8:02 pm
Old Mar 31, 19, 11:59 pm

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Haha, this has happened to me many times in YVR and YYZ when I am doing 12hr night overs, sometimes my wit gets the best of me in my answers. If anything, CBP got a free lesson in where the best MRs start from.
Old Apr 1, 19, 6:57 am

This happened to me in AMD (India) last week while leaving on the same day that I arrived (with e-visa). I merely explained that I got a really cheap flight and was going to earn enough points to get status/lounge access. He seemed a bit puzzled at first but even he was able to grasp the concept with very little additional explanation. It really should not require too much to convince someone by merely telling the truth. It is the lies that will bite you in the behind when they start to get twisted around. You are not doing anything illegal or unethical, so why act like you are with some BS story?
Old Apr 1, 19, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why this needs a separate thread, given that there are already multiple threads posing the exact same question and which provide the exact same answer.

1. Tell the truth. If the purpose of your visit is a MR, then that is the truthful answer. The only reason to lie is if you are committing a crime and telling the truth would cause greater problems, e.g., "I'm a drug courier."

2. Border agents, whether in Canada or elsewhere generally could care less, so long as your documents match the purpose of your visit. A USN with a valid passport on a day trip to Canada is not suspicious.

3. If you are asked further questions, just answer those.
Old Apr 1, 19, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by downinit View Post
This happened to me in AMD (India) last week while leaving on the same day that I arrived (with e-visa). I merely explained that I got a really cheap flight and was going to earn enough points to get status/lounge access. He seemed a bit puzzled at first but even he was able to grasp the concept with very little additional explanation. It really should not require too much to convince someone by merely telling the truth. It is the lies that will bite you in the behind when they start to get twisted around. You are not doing anything illegal or unethical, so why act like you are with some BS story?
Was this on the SQ AMD-SIN-EWR cheap J fare? I received a lot of questions because I entered India in DEL and left India at AMD on the same day. I just told them it was get a cheap fare.
Old Apr 1, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Honesty is best policy. With that said, Canada is notorious for strict questions/interrogation whether business or leisure. Typically, you can say you are meeting a CLOSE friend for dinner/drinks. If they ask where/restaurant and you have lodging location that is all you need. No need to expand on this due to Internet 'pals'.
My favorite is do quick research of your destination (live performances) and claim you are going to see _______ perform at venue. It can be a DJ, rock group or whatever genre has a live performance in that town on that day.
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by rotatev2 View Post
Was this on the SQ AMD-SIN-EWR cheap J fare? I received a lot of questions because I entered India in DEL and left India at AMD on the same day. I just told them it was get a cheap fare.
Yes it was. I cannot imagine that I am the first person this guy encountered on this MR. I think he was just shocked that I would travel all the way to India from US for less than one day, but I was actually coming from China so it was not quite as absurd.
Old Apr 3, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM
Why wouldn't you want to just say "Mileage Run"? There's nothing illegal about that, so why come up with an alternative?
manually likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1 View Post
Why wouldn't you want to just say "Mileage Run"? There's nothing illegal about that, so why come up with an alternative?
As I mentioned in the initial post upthread, I hadn't thought about an answer to that question and at the moment it was asked I think I subconsciously felt the honest answer of "mileage run" might lead to some awkward longer explanation that the border agent might not believe or understand and thereby lead to an unnecessary delay.

And as I mentioned in a subsequent post, the concise truth is the best answer and that's the answer I'll be giving.

Last edited by paris1000; Apr 3, 19 at 9:15 pm
Old Apr 3, 19, 9:10 pm

Programs: CBP
Originally Posted by paris1000 View Post
As I mentioned in the initial post upthread, I hadn't thought about an answer to that question and at the moment it was asked I think I subconsciously felt the honest answer of "mileage run" might lead to some awkward longer explanation that the border agent might not believe or understand.

And as I mentioned in a subsequent post, the concise truth is the best answer and that's what will always be given.
as a "border agent"

this goes 1 of 3 ways

1) You: "Mileage run." Me: "ah. ok. see ya...."

2) You "Mileage run." Me: "what's that?" You: *explain* Me: "Sure, i guess that makes sense."

3) None of this makes sense to the old @$$ officers we have, and they send you somewhere for an exam.
IAD_flyer, paris1000 and mendezka like this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 7:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Just imagine having to say that on a direct turnaround run.

I had this happen to me In Casablanca. I arrived on Lufthansa at 2am and was sheduled to take the same flight back. At transit security:
Where are you going? - Frankfurt
Where are you coming from? - Frankfurt
No no, I mean, - Yes I know, I'm taking the same flight back.
But why? You won't even enter the country? - No.
Looks at me confused while I try to explain it to him for the next five minutes.
Tells me I'm crazy and to have a nice flight.

But hey, I practically skipped the security check.

Search this Thread