Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] CA: YUL-HAV lie flat rt $401 CAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] CA: YUL-HAV lie flat rt $401 CAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Air China YUL-HAV: no menus (FA says: chicken with rice, beef with rice or steak) no amenity kit, tight seats, very short seats, angled seat on that 787, only Chinese wine (no comment) while CA did not delivered the paid visa (to Cuba) on-board to at least 2 pax, including myself. Lots of trouble.
So what have you ended up with your visa?

It totally sounds like an old saying what you pay is what you get. I'm looking at you, Aeromexico! At least we should be glad we aren't paying the retail price, and it's probably still the best J option between YUL and HAV, although I don't know how AC J compares. Does Cubana still fly to YUL?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:50 pm

...while CA did not delivered the paid visa (to Cuba) on-board to at least 2 pax, including myself. Lots of trouble.

Does this mean everyone else on the plane received their visa? What kind of trouble did you have and how did you resolve it?

Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:06 pm

For those of us who took advantage of that J fare, it is still much better than economy. For those who paid full J fare, if any, it’s an insult. I took advantage of the special fare.

Looks like every Canadian passenger except my seat neighbour and I got their visa onboard..How I could escape that situation is too long to explain, and it was all luck, but I learned that there is an agent from a touristic agency waiting for such cases, when you’re turned back at the Cuban customs, that will charge you 100$ for the missing visa. If that agency is open, your case is not hopeless. Which does not make Air China a more reliable airline. .
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:36 am

I’m disappointed to read about your experience. While I certainly didn’t expect it to be a high standard of business class, I didn’t expect short, tight seats; no menu options; and Chinese wine.

I only booked this trip (August) for the novelty of the experience, but I’m having second thoughts after what you’ve described. The cancellation fee is only $100 pp; would you recommend just scrapping it?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:06 am

For those of us who took advantage of that J fare, it is still much better than economy. For those who paid full J fare, if any, it’s an insult. I took advantage of the special fare.

Looks like every Canadian passenger except my seat neighbour and I got their visa onboard..How I could escape that situation is too long to explain, and it was all luck, but I learned that there is an agent from a touristic agency waiting for such cases, when you’re turned back at the Cuban customs, that will charge you 100$ for the missing visa. If that agency is open, your case is not hopeless. Which does not make Air China a more reliable airline. .

To make matters worse it sounds like now we'll be receiving only 110% Aeroplan points for the flight which changed from 125% Aeroplan points recently.
Here is a review of a similar flight on an Air China 787-9 -- the narrow footwells look awful.
Do you believe that you were targeted to not get a green tourist card because of the special fare you were flying on?
Did you have any lounge access in YUL?

Last edited by Steveman; Apr 21, 2019 at 4:40 pm Reason: it's a touist card for Canadians, not a visa
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:42 am

I don’ t think I was targeted, I believe it was a mistake from CA . Agents finally came back from outside customs to give me the visa, with the help of some Cuban man. They were on their way out.

Havana is worth the trip though. Cheers.
LTF
Old May 22, 2019, 4:43 am

I decided to cancel our flights yesterday. I just couldn’t get excited about any of the resort options in Cuba, and getting to them from Havana would be challenging. I was blinded by the thrill of the deal with this one! 🙄
Old May 25, 2019, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by mykel67
I decided to cancel our flights yesterday. I just couldn’t get excited about any of the resort options in Cuba, and getting to them from Havana would be challenging. I was blinded by the thrill of the deal with this one! 🙄
if you're into resorts, then package deals would've been better, although ex-canada it's been a lot more expensive last 10 years.

I've been always wanting to go to Havana, stay at casas particulares, eat at paladares, so it'll be good for me, but positioning costs to yul and lack of convenient flights with award tickets are one of regrets. I don't want to carry winter gear, so I have no interests in staying YUL for a while.

I see a sale ending soon for accor hotels for this summer, including pullman cayo coco. Afaik, it's all inclusive, can be interesting for some.

the cancellation fee is $100? There are some dp with nye cx sales, some people getting the cancellation fees waived. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.