Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Ac business class | was-lhr rt $1364

[PREM FARE GONE] Ac business class | was-lhr rt $1364

Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There were still a few people using present-tense, so I'm genuinely curious.

But then my question is the same. Can we call now?
They've pulled it, so you could probably call now... but unless you're flying in the next few days, or planning to cancel the ticket within 24 hours, why bother? Let the dust settle, let them figure out why the seat selection tool is timing out, and so on... and then if you still really need to call you can. There's zero advantage to calling now.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dordal
They've pulled it, so you could probably call now... but unless you're flying in the next few days, or planning to cancel the ticket within 24 hours, why bother? Let the dust settle, let them figure out why the seat selection tool is timing out, and so on... and then if you still really need to call you can. There's zero advantage to calling now.
Nah, I'm good for a few months. I only booked Memorial Day weekend. The fare wasn't quite at the levels for me to go crazy, especially in a class that may not earn miles.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kluever
I give this a strong possibility of sticking, given these fares are "very good", but not "insane" (not an obvious mistake).
What makes you say that? The price that AC charges for routes like this is typically well over 2x the amount of this fare. In fact, 2x these fares would be a very good deal most of the time. We'll see whether or not they honour it, but both the insane price and the booking class should have been big red flags, not to mention the inability to get it on the AC site.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:55 am

... let them figure out why the seat selection tool is timing out, and so on... and then if you still really need to call you can. There's zero advantage to calling now.
This fare is non-refundable after 24 hrs. If there's any chance to be seated in Economy Plus, it's a bad deal. I'll be a skeptic and consider the possibility that the twitter idiot is really an AC shill, and the "error fare" rollout is just a marketing ploy.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:03 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by schnitzer
Is anyone able to select seats?
When I try to do it on AC website, it just times out. Suspicious..

Maybe it's not a real Business Class ticket, so the backend rejects the seat selection and times out?
Let the dust settle, let them figure out why the seat selection tool is timing out, and so on... and then if you still really need to call you can.
R class is normally upgrades and you select seats via the upgrade tool, or AC's alternative seat selection site, but the regular seat selection process often doesn't work for upgraded fares either.

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If there's any chance to be seated in Economy Plus, it's a bad deal.
1. AC has Premium Economy, not Economy Plus. One is a wider seat with more legroom and upgraded service. The other is just regular economy with a little more legroom. Very different things.
2. It's not a bad deal for premium economy, as far as usual fares go. Not a screaming deal, but hardly a bad one.

I'll be a skeptic and consider the possibility that the twitter idiot is really an AC shill, and the "error fare" rollout is just a marketing ploy.
That tin foil hat must be overheating your brain.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:43 am

I don't see how this could be construed as being an error fare at all. My interpretation of this is that AC is sweating bullets with WS' newest J product to Canada/US from LGW and WS's fare sale that they're simply matching the prices WS is offering (i.e. 1600 GBP return fares from LGW to SFO). If anything I would book hotels and everything else on reliance that the fare is valid to prevent AC re-negging on their competitive response to WS.

My maxim has always been:
There's no such thing as an error fare! There is such a thing as competition and airlines feeling like the competition is breathing down their necks hard and for them to mount a response.
-James
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I don't see how this could be construed as being an error fare at all. My interpretation of this is that AC is sweating bullets with WS' newest J product to Canada/US from LGW and WS's fare sale that they're simply matching the prices WS is offering (i.e. 1600 GBP return fares from LGW to SFO).
-James
If it wasn't error fare, why would they code the fare as R, and why was the fare available to DEL, DXB, TLV--markets that WS doesn't even serve.

I didn't book because I didn't want to spend 10h flying without earning any miles, but I do hope AC honors this fare.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What makes you say that?
$600 CX F roundtrips is are an insane deal.

​​​​​We've seen sub-$2k US-EU roundtrip J fare sales in the late fall many many times.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hirohito888
If it wasn't a promotional fare, why would they code the fare as R, and why was the fare available to DEL, DXB, TLV--markets that WS doesn't even serve.
Did you feel the whoosh go right over your head?

(And I fixed that for you.)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Did you feel the whoosh go right over your head?

(And I fixed that for you.)
Yes haha. Still interested in how that R fare plays out, in terms of mileage earning and access to SSL.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Good news for everyone -
I messaged AC on Twitter an hour ago and they confirmed that the ticket will be honoured. I'm still waiting to hear whether access to signature suite will be granted.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by hirohito888
If it wasn't error fare, why would they code the fare as R, and why was the fare available to DEL, DXB, TLV--markets that WS doesn't even serve.
But if that's his interpretation then that's fair enough. I also see business fares as 15-20% rebate when things are priced nicely so i didn't opt in on this.

I considered LAS-LHR which was Ł1k. But I'm booked up all year thanks to LHR-HKG (PR), LHR-LAS (Iberia 90k), and HAN-YVR (CX).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What makes you say that? The price that AC charges for routes like this is typically well over 2x the amount of this fare. In fact, 2x these fares would be a very good deal most of the time. We'll see whether or not they honour it, but both the insane price and the booking class should have been big red flags, not to mention the inability to get it on the AC site.
There was an AC fare from 2017 MUC-SFO return in business class for about 800 euros and that was honored. There is precedent, especially when it's not a clear "mistake."
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I still can't select seats though. AC are telling me to contact Expedia and Expedia are telling me to contact AC..
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
That is great news hopefully it books into Biz and everything.

Anyone flying anytime soon? I'm flying in late February and trying to figure out travel arrangements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.