FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] Austrian: BKK-VIE direct return for $970 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1952301-prem-fare-gone-austrian-bkk-vie-direct-return-970-a.html)

floxorius Jan 24, 2019 2:19 am

Originally Posted by tya (Post 30693547)
I really suspect now it's OS intentionally do this. They will play the game of chicken, and those who fear being denied boarding will either call them or cancel the ticket. Perhaps in some better cases OS can even claim the EUR280 ish ticket cancellation fee. If that's why OS has chose to stay silent and say nothing, that's really disgusting and irresponsible of them.

Just curious, are there different fare rules out? My cancellation fee says 250€ and not 280€.

tango3 Jan 24, 2019 8:09 am

Adding a data point.

Booked a BKK-VIE-BKK for Aug travel (2 pax) thru OS website. Obtained PNR + eTicket. The charge has also been posted to my credit card and is on my statement.

Booking was alive on OS website until around 2hrs ago when it was cancelled. Still no email/word/notification from OS.

nocom Jan 24, 2019 9:22 am

Book via OS website. Payment success. Just notice my booking was cancelled (BKK-VIE-BKK) travel within Easter. What should I do?

newmemberhere Jan 24, 2019 1:34 pm

did anyone checked Facebook Austrian account? a lot of complains and no one still received any information WHY tickets were cancelled and what to do and any confirmations. However, Austrian started to send everyone PM.
However, I think they are trying to figure out how to explain these prices and do not go under EU Regulations, because now it seems like all tickets goes under Article 4 (Overbooking and denying boarding). Everyone has confirmed tickets, mos of them were not cancelled after 24 hours, most of these tickets with departure in less than 14 days and Austrian has to inform Customers about situation and they still did not do it. It seems it's harder and harder for them to explain and now everyone can try to get compensation.

IMHO it is cheaper for them to approve tickets. If it was price error, why did not they announce it in first hours? It is not "low coster" + they have their own rules (if you paid, it has to be honoured). Let's see what they are going to write in PM and emails with cancellation confirmation. If I have tickets on next 2 days - I would go to Airport and try to check in and if they tell me it wa cancelled, I will be "surprised".

seb5lu2 Jan 24, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by newmemberhere (Post 30696205)
did anyone checked Facebook Austrian account? a lot of complains and no one still received any information WHY tickets were cancelled and what to do and any confirmations. However, Austrian started to send everyone PM.
However, I think they are trying to figure out how to explain these prices and do not go under EU Regulations, because now it seems like all tickets goes under Article 4 (Overbooking and denying boarding). Everyone has confirmed tickets, mos of them were not cancelled after 24 hours, most of these tickets with departure in less than 14 days and Austrian has to inform Customers about situation and they still did not do it. It seems it's harder and harder for them to explain and now everyone can try to get compensation.

IMHO it is cheaper for them to approve tickets. If it was price error, why did not they announce it in first hours? It is not "low coster" + they have their own rules (if you paid, it has to be honoured). Let's see what they are going to write in PM and emails with cancellation confirmation. If I have tickets on next 2 days - I would go to Airport and try to check in and if they tell me it wa cancelled, I will be "surprised".

My booking status is confirmed ,the ticket is open to use(checked under Amadeus via Saudi airline website) and departure date is within 14 days from today. Does it mean I will be able to claim compensation under EU261 if OS cancels my booking?

phoenixliau Jan 24, 2019 8:14 pm

based on your case, it seems that OS doesn't dare to cancel the tickets which departure date is withing 14 days to avoid the EU261?

seb5lu2 Jan 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by phoenixliau (Post 30697568)
based on your case, it seems that OS doesn't dare to cancel the tickets which departure date is withing 14 days to avoid the EU261?

probably I was lucky that OS did not cancel my booking at first minute until it’s less than 14 days. Hopefully OS will honor the ticket due to EU261.(Actually I do not mind OS gives me full refund with €600 compensation)

newmemberhere Jan 24, 2019 11:02 pm

I do not understand Austrian, still no information about tickets. Why are they so sure that they can avoid EU261?
I mean a lot of tickets already in timeframe (7-14 days or less), they have to re-reouting passangers or give them tickets + if the passenger will not fly on his flight, they have to pay 600 euro per ticket (it includes re-routing). If they deny everything, then everyone starts to fill a case trying to refund new tickets + 600 EUR compensation.

Keter Jan 24, 2019 11:11 pm

I just opened the FB page of OS and I shall say its fun there. A mini PR disaster:D
My friend said Chinese forums reported 1,500 tickets sold. I guess OS is still looking into whatif scenarios to see if they are better off keeping that 1,5M USD or refunding it.

nldogbert Jan 25, 2019 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Keter (Post 30698015)
I just opened the FB page of OS and I shall say its fun there. A mini PR disaster:D
My friend said Chinese forums reported 1,500 tickets sold. I guess OS is still looking into whatif scenarios to see if they are better off keeping that 1,5M USD or refunding it.

Haha, out of curiousity I went over to have a look and indeed, quite a read...but I am actually surprised that so many of them are from China/Far-east region. As before this I've never really see that region getting into these error fare game especially in such a significant number - as i would assume that there's lot of blocked website, etc and even with VPN.. let's say an eye-opener to me.
I guess luckily I did not jump on this - but I had expected that OS would have been more efficient in resolving this, they could have taken the more political way out, just downgrade the tickets to Y and I think most pax would have cancelled it on their own wish rather than keeping silence and quietly cancelling the tickets.

Cheers!

Oropher Jan 25, 2019 12:16 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 30698109)
Haha, out of curiousity I went over to have a look and indeed, quite a read...but I am actually surprised that so many of them are from China/Far-east region. As before this I've never really see that region getting into these error fare game especially in such a significant number - as i would assume that there's lot of blocked website, etc and even with VPN.. let's say an eye-opener to me.
I guess luckily I did not jump on this - but I had expected that OS would have been more efficient in resolving this, they could have taken the more political way out, just downgrade the tickets to Y and I think most pax would have cancelled it on their own wish rather than keeping silence and quietly cancelling the tickets.

Cheers!

They are mostly Taiwanese/Hong Kongers so they are not blocked by the great firewall and do in fact use Facebook.

annielee Jan 25, 2019 12:55 am

im thinking mine should be fine.. as i've a transit and not originating from BKK.. but i will wait till next week before booking hotels...

Keter Jan 25, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 30698109)

Cheers!

This fare was posted on Chinese forums before it reached here, this is the explanation. Most people who booked this are obviously Chinese.

Added: and many Chinese from mainland China use VPN.

KenGreen888 Jan 25, 2019 1:38 am

It is best not to cry about a canceled flight deal. Wait for the next deal to come along. There are tons!

thierry Jan 25, 2019 1:57 am

Interestingly when I check my booking on OS website it is still all confirmed and on Saudia it says confirmed, payed and invalidated as it is for many of us. However when I check my Amex statement the credit card has not been charged.
And by the way the OS website has very limited availability right now. Only open for bookings and check-in, and checking flight status. Not sure if it is related though.