Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adjusting what we consider a run to be

Old Jan 5, 19, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred

I know it's been a long standing thing that runs are roughly 5cpms or less. I'm not sure it's because it's the start of the year but it seems as if these basic economy fares are messing things up. I used to be able to fly EWR->SFO for 227 consistently in the winter time and it's not $237 for BE. So I guess my point is over time should we re-evaluate what a good cpm is to be considered a run?
Old Jan 5, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, United Plat (2018:Gold), Marriott Pyrite
I assume this in reference to UA, in particular? I agree that BE has gotten rid of the deep-deep-discount economy fares we used to see. At least domestically (and Carribbean, etc).

But it really depends on where you are, and what distance you need. For example, just a few days ago, I saw 15kPQM SFO-HKG (via GUM) for 3 cpm. SFO-SYD was 3.8cpm. And there's that OJ to China.

So they're still out there, though they tend to be longer international runs. But the longer the run is, the greater effect cpm has. For example, a cost increase +5cpm would be only +$100 for 2kPQM, but increases to +$1000 for 20kPQM.
Old Jan 5, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, US BE is eating into domestic runs but TPAC Y is cheaper than ever.
Old Jan 5, 19, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Yes I mean domestically/Carribbean. The big runs still are there. EWR is my home base. But for example EWR->Sin is 650. Same time last year I got it for $478....

I guess everyone has to make money though and it's still a low cpm.

Search this Thread