Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AZ: BCN - LAX £456 in J....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kevinflyaway
Code:
Please post you departure dates and routes below:

March
 MARCH 07 BCN - FCO - LAX Madeiraportugal
 MARCH 11 PacificTwo
 MARCH 11 BCN-FCO-JFK UAPremierGuy
 MARCH 14 LAX - CDG - FCO - BCN Madeiraportugal
 MARCH 19 BCN-FCO-CDG GlennHaak
 MARCH 19 MAD-FCO-JFK beyounged
 MARCH 20 CDG-LAX GlennHaak
 MARCH 25 BCN-FCO-JFK JonEJacobs
 MARCH 25 JFK-FCO-MAD beyounged
 MARCH 28 LAX-FCO-BCN GlennHaak

April
 APRIL 01 BCN-FCO-LAX - idiosyncrasy
 APRIL 04 BCN - FCO - CDG (+1) - LAX Mister Miles
 APRIL 05 JFK-FCO-BCN JonEJacobs
 APRIL 08 BCN - FCO - LAX - honzeek_cz
 APRIL 08 FCO-CDG JNLentertainment
 APRIL 09 CDG-LAX - JNLentertainment
 APRIL 09 LAX - JFK - FCO - BCN Mister Miles
 APRIL 23 LAX-CDG honzeek_cz
 APRIL 24 CDG-FCO-BCN honzeek_cz
 APRIL 25 MAD-LIN honzeek_cz
 APRIL 25 LAX-CDG-FCO-BCN idiosyncrasy
 APRIL 26 LIN-CDG-LAX honzeek_cz
 APRIL 29 LAX-FCO honzeek_cz
 APRIL 30 FCO-MAD honzeek_cz
 APRIL 30 MAD-FCO Maayan

May
 MAY 01 FCO-LAX Maayan
 MAY 01 BCN-FCO-JFK ramalair
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO-JFK e30st
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO / MAY 03 FCO-LAX Travel-Quinten
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO-LAX Wildwater
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO / MAY 03 FCO-LAX bmibaby737
 MAY 06 JFK-FCO-BCN (+1) e30st
 MAY 06 LAX-FCO-BCN (+1) Travel-Quinten
 MAY 06 LAX-FCO-BCN Wildwater
 MAY 06 LAX-JFK-FCO / MAY 07 FCO-BCN bmibaby737
 MAY 08 LAX-FCO-MAD Maayan
 MAY 09 JFK-FCO-BCN ramalair
 MAY 09 LAX- FCO JNLentertainment
 MAY 09 FCO-BCN JNLentertainment

September

October

November
 Nov 7 BCN - FCO - JFK ExpatSomchai
 Nov 11 JFK - FCO - BCN (+1) ExpatSomchai
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AZ: BCN - LAX £456 in J....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
** banging my head against the wall **
There is really no need. As Hollandair pointed out, AZ is very much aware of this fare. Also, CX828 is waiting for a callback from AZ (which may or may not happen, of course). If anything, the risk is for the individual booking, to get a rogue agent over the phone who would take upon himself to cancel the ticket (but then again, as far as we know, even "hostile" agents did nothing other than claim they'd "report" the booking).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:12 am

Since the error fare has been withdrawn wihtin an hour, AZ had plenty of time during the week to find every booking made with the error fare. Calling them (and not the outsourced agents) is nothing dangerous since I think they already know everything.
irishguy28 and Oxymore like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Lets wait until the first people fly in Feb ( sorry you’re the test subjects! ) or Alitalia cancel the tickets before we all lose our heads.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:05 am

My four stages of a 'flash sale' purchase.

Days 1 - 3: fully expect it to be not honoured.

Days 3 - 7: anxiously optimistic.

Days 8 - 30: cautiously confident.

Day 30+ : start looking at positioning flights. accom.

This is only where I book direct with the airline though. Some OTA's only do a once a month settlement with the airlines so I leave even longer if booked via one of them.

So at the moment, i'm cautiously confident

I never ever call the airline until the first people have reported back they have flown with no issues. The way I see it, if I know i'm flying flat for less than £500 return I can forgo the best seats if it involves phoning the airline. ANY would work for me.
Oxymore and KiteM like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: GOLD: AZ....maybe :-P
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Lets wait until the first people fly in Feb ( sorry you’re the test subjects! ) or Alitalia cancel the tickets before we all lose our heads.
So who is the first one supposed to fly (and when)?

Originally Posted by bananahead
My four stages of a 'flash sale' purchase.

Days 1 - 3: fully expect it to be not honoured.

Days 3 - 7: anxiously optimistic.

Days 8 - 30: cautiously confident.

Day 30+ : start looking at positioning flights. accom.

This is only where I book direct with the airline though. Some OTA's only do a once a month settlement with the airlines so I leave even longer if booked via one of them.

So at the moment, i'm cautiously confident

I never ever call the airline until the first people have reported back they have flown with no issues. The way I see it, if I know i'm flying flat for less than £500 return I can forgo the best seats if it involves phoning the airline. ANY would work for me.
^
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Maybe people can add to the Wiki their schedules
e30st likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by KiteM
So who is the first one supposed to fly (and when)?
I believe a couple of us are scheduled the second week in March. I haven't seen any other schedules earlier, but could be wrong.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold
Why can't I edit wiki?
MAY 02, BCN-FCO-JFK
MAY 06, JFK-FCO-BCN (+1)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by e30st
Why can't I edit wiki?
MAY 02, BCN-FCO-JFK
MAY 06, JFK-FCO-BCN (+1)
You don't have enough posts yet. See note at top of page.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Turkish Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CX828
This fare is certainly not safe and guaranteed. . .

Just got off the phone to Alitalia. As I couldn't assign seats on AF or AZ website, I called the call center. Long story short, the ticket is not valid, his word's were "if I were at check in I would not let you on the flight". He seemed very aware of this issue specifically mentioning "you saw this fare on google flights". Apparently I will now be contacted within 24/48 hours by a different department and one of two options may occur - I fly as I thought booked, i.e. in business, or I am re-seated in coach. He was very dubious about the possibility of a refund stating "you might get a refund but I cannot guarantee anything at this stage". It was described as a "system error by the web department". Apparently they are investigating how the error occurred and whether pax booked a coach ticket and had access to business class seats or whether in the alternative it is just very low priced business fare. Either way there was a mapping error that they know about. Watch this space.....
This is a bit worrying. So if we turned up at the check-in desk and if we were downgraded to the economy cabin by AZ on the basis that we only booked an economy fare then we will have no recourse other than the 75% cost of the fare under EU regulations for downgrade. My understanding is that the 75% value is calculated on the base fare rather than the total cost including tax. Base fare is only £143 so would AZ try to minimise the damage by downgrading us and offer 75% of £143 as a refund? If this happens at the airport, most of us would find ourselves in a difficult situation as we would have spent money on hotels, positioning flights etc. I guess if the special fare has happened with some other airline then I guess we would be a bit more confident. Just that AZ has a horrible reputation and it is hard to trust this Airline
honzeek_cz likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by v2837v
This is a bit worrying. So if we turned up at the check-in desk and if we were downgraded to the economy cabin by AZ on the basis that we only booked an economy fare then we will have no recourse other than the 75% cost of the fare under EU regulations for downgrade. My understanding is that the 75% value is calculated on the base fare rather than the total cost including tax. Base fare is only £143 so would AZ try to minimise the damage by downgrading us and offer 75% of £143 as a refund? If this happens at the airport, most of us would find ourselves in a difficult situation as we would have spent money on hotels, positioning flights etc. I guess if the special fare has happened with some other airline then I guess we would be a bit more confident. Just that AZ has a horrible reputation and it is hard to trust this Airline
I have my ticket confirmed in E class which is the business class fare with Alitalia. I have printed that and will show it in case and argue with them. Words like going to the court always work, it is their problem. But I think this is not what will happen. All of you are so scared but according to my experience I think we are all safe right now.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This is the only thing that is guaranteed in this situation...

Originally Posted by v2837v
... AZ has a horrible reputation and it is hard to trust this Airline
glennhaak likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Cestamitulakapohvezdach
I have my ticket confirmed in E class which is the business class fare with Alitalia. I have printed that and will show it in case and argue with them. Words like going to the court always work, it is their problem. But I think this is not what will happen. All of you are so scared but according to my experience I think we are all safe right now.
If you really think this, I wish you good luck with every other flash sale in the future, words like: "going to court" don't impress airlines, because most people realize it is futile to do so and frankly, I agree, we know the game we play, you win some, you lose some.

Imagine yourself at the checkin desk:

Cestamitulakapohvezdach: I would like to check in.
Agent: Sorry, but you'll be reseated in economy because there was a mistake
Cestamitulakapohvezdach: But I have a confirmation for business class, I will take you to court!
Agent: Okay, you're free to do so, but either way you will not be flying in business class today.

In the end you'll end up flying in economy or (if you to choose to) not at all and deal with all this afterwards, where a full refund would be the maximum you'd gain, perhaps with some MilleMiglia points for the inconvenience.

But if you're so sure of yourself, feel free to book positioning flights, non-refundable hotels, car hire and tours...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:05 pm

I’ve participated in many many a ‘flash sale’.

They have taken one of two paths:

1) honoured

2) cancelled.

I’ve never had a situation where I’ve arrived at the check in desk with an itinerary clearly stating J class and being told I was being reseated in Y. Sure, I guess there’s a first time for everything. But personally I think this is the most unlikely outcome, especially for those that book direct with the operating airline and allocated seats in the business class cabin.

As I mentioned in a previous post I think it’s those that booked via other airlines/OTA’s that are likely to have the slightly more uphill battle.

As many have said previously it’s best to wait until the first buyers have flown this fare and fed back. That’s if AZ doesn’t cancel before. But my feeling is - they knew of the mistake within hours and have done nothing so I’m quietly confident. In almost every case where my flash sale has not been honoured I’ve been notified within days, a week max. It doesn’t guarantee anything but Alitalia would just be making things more difficult for itself with each passing day it doesn’t actvif it’s to cancel.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by glennhaak
If you really think this, I wish you good luck with every other flash sale in the future, words like: "going to court" don't impress airlines, because most people realize it is futile to do so and frankly, I agree, we know the game we play, you win some, you lose some.

Imagine yourself at the checkin desk:

Cestamitulakapohvezdach: I would like to check in.
Agent: Sorry, but you'll be reseated in economy because there was a mistake
Cestamitulakapohvezdach: But I have a confirmation for business class, I will take you to court!
Agent: Okay, you're free to do so, but either way you will not be flying in business class today.

In the end you'll end up flying in economy or (if you to choose to) not at all and deal with all this afterwards, where a full refund would be the maximum you'd gain, perhaps with some MilleMiglia points for the inconvenience.

But if you're so sure of yourself, feel free to book positioning flights, non-refundable hotels, car hire and tours...
Thank you for your reply. As I said, I have experienced this situation a few times. It worked to me, you have to know how to talk to the agents and manipulate them to do what you need. In my country, there was a precedent court when BA had to transfer a guy in First Class even if he paid economy. You have to know how to deal with these situations and then you are the winner.
Everyone is just talking and afraid of flying coach. That is how this "EF" world works. We should wait for the experience, not give thousands of hypothesis here with no solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.