Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AZ: BCN - LAX £456 in J....

Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kevinflyaway
Code:
Please post you departure dates and routes below:

March
 MARCH 07 BCN - FCO - LAX Madeiraportugal
 MARCH 11 PacificTwo
 MARCH 11 BCN-FCO-JFK UAPremierGuy
 MARCH 14 LAX - CDG - FCO - BCN Madeiraportugal
 MARCH 19 BCN-FCO-CDG GlennHaak
 MARCH 19 MAD-FCO-JFK beyounged
 MARCH 20 CDG-LAX GlennHaak
 MARCH 25 BCN-FCO-JFK JonEJacobs
 MARCH 25 JFK-FCO-MAD beyounged
 MARCH 28 LAX-FCO-BCN GlennHaak

April
 APRIL 01 BCN-FCO-LAX - idiosyncrasy
 APRIL 04 BCN - FCO - CDG (+1) - LAX Mister Miles
 APRIL 05 JFK-FCO-BCN JonEJacobs
 APRIL 08 BCN - FCO - LAX - honzeek_cz
 APRIL 08 FCO-CDG JNLentertainment
 APRIL 09 CDG-LAX - JNLentertainment
 APRIL 09 LAX - JFK - FCO - BCN Mister Miles
 APRIL 23 LAX-CDG honzeek_cz
 APRIL 24 CDG-FCO-BCN honzeek_cz
 APRIL 25 MAD-LIN honzeek_cz
 APRIL 25 LAX-CDG-FCO-BCN idiosyncrasy
 APRIL 26 LIN-CDG-LAX honzeek_cz
 APRIL 29 LAX-FCO honzeek_cz
 APRIL 30 FCO-MAD honzeek_cz
 APRIL 30 MAD-FCO Maayan

May
 MAY 01 FCO-LAX Maayan
 MAY 01 BCN-FCO-JFK ramalair
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO-JFK e30st
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO / MAY 03 FCO-LAX Travel-Quinten
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO-LAX Wildwater
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO / MAY 03 FCO-LAX bmibaby737
 MAY 06 JFK-FCO-BCN (+1) e30st
 MAY 06 LAX-FCO-BCN (+1) Travel-Quinten
 MAY 06 LAX-FCO-BCN Wildwater
 MAY 06 LAX-JFK-FCO / MAY 07 FCO-BCN bmibaby737
 MAY 08 LAX-FCO-MAD Maayan
 MAY 09 JFK-FCO-BCN ramalair
 MAY 09 LAX- FCO JNLentertainment
 MAY 09 FCO-BCN JNLentertainment

September

October

November
 Nov 7 BCN - FCO - JFK ExpatSomchai
 Nov 11 JFK - FCO - BCN (+1) ExpatSomchai
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AZ: BCN - LAX £456 in J....

Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ritesa
No, VFT is Vielfliegertreff - a German frequent flyer forum.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Indeed ^
Thank you. I appreciate the help
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Tried that and didn't generate email.
Did you enter your email address in the customer details area?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
Ouch, you should've kept the ORD-SYD as it has better chance of sticking, people have forgotten the drama with FNR-DUS deals back in late 2016? Which dragged onto 2017.
Understood. But it wasn't all about the fare. Different dates, different traveling companions, different alliance, different routing. Such is life. It was definitely painful to cancel the ORD-SYD one.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paffendorf
I think in the worst case, AZ will however let you choose to cancel it. I can't see how any airline could force someone to fly in a different class in this scenario.
I'll add that AZ is a EU carrier, subject to EU261/2004, so a downgrade would require AZ to compensate passengers for 75% of the fare. I'd personally believe that they would either cancel or honor it, but not downgrade.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:35 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by bananahead
I will not accept this. I will request a refund instead and if AZ balks I will simply provide my original e-ticket to AMEX and initiate a charge back
They will cancel and refund for sure if they downgrade it to economy. Anyway my booking confirmation in email that came with e-ticket says clearly Business, so its either that or nothing.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by Oxymore
I'll add that AZ is a EU carrier, subject to EU261/2004, so a downgrade would require AZ to compensate passengers for 75% of the fare. I'd personally believe that they would either cancel or honor it, but not downgrade.
I quite disagree. This is a grey-area about EU261. EU261 talks about downgrade referred to overbooking. This is different and it's quite complicate to understand exactly if downgrading you in advance because of a fare mapping issue is below the EU261 reg.....

Last edited by paffendorf; Jan 5, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paffendorf
I quite disagree. This is a grey-area about EU261. EU261 talks about downgrade referred to overbooking. This is different and it's quite complicate to understand exactly if downgrading you in advance because of a fare mapping issue is below the EU261 reg.....
I beg to differ. There is no mention of overbooking in the section of EU261 that covers downgrade. It applies, and has been applied to any downgrade situation, for any reason (and at any time before the flight, not just within 14 days like cancellations/delays). Here is the relevant article:

Article 10
Upgrading and downgrading

1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request any supplementary payment.

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less, or
(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, except flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres, or
(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.
I'd also mention that the fare mapping issue is irrelevant to the consumer: I searched for a business class ticket, booked a business class ticket, and got a ticket receipt from Alitalia with all flights in business class, with a class code (E) that is correctly a business class code for Alitalia.
Maayan likes this.

Last edited by Oxymore; Jan 5, 2019 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Did you enter your email address in the customer details area?
Yes. Doesn't help.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
I beg to differ. There is no mention of overbooking in the section of EU261 that covers downgrade. It applies, and has been applied to any downgrade situation, for any reason (and at any time before the flight, not just within 14 days like cancellations/delays). Here is the relevant article:

I'd also mention that the fare mapping issue is irrelevant to the consumer: I searched for a business class ticket, booked a business class ticket, and got a ticket receipt from Alitalia with all flights in business class, with a class code (E) that is correctly a business class code for Alitalia.
I do agree with you final thoughts but if you look at the fare basis it can get complicated. Anyway, if I was involved, I'd fight using the exact same reasons you're expressing) I was just commenting about the fact EU261 is not totally clear in this specific case
To me, it counts what is written on ticket receipt, *business*
Oxymore likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
With respect, in the last three years Alitalia has pulled pretty much everything.. Of course, each instance is different. Hopefully different experience here.
I reckon they just needed another "short-term interest free loan" provided from various generous micro lenders - and will refund all monies, slowly, starting about a month from now...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Only if they sit back and do nothing, then attempt to seat you in Economy once you get to check-in.

They won't allow it go that far. If they "downgrade", then they will issue a note in the coming weeks telling people that it was an error and they can either refund or travel in Economy. As such, no downgrade compensation would be due for those that accept the downgrade.

But in keeping with their modus operandi of the last few years, they will cancel these, slowly, in the coming weeks I would wager.
paffendorf likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But in keeping with their modus operandi of the last few years, they will cancel these, slowly, in the coming weeks I would wager.
Actually, in keeping with the AZ way, they won't cancel these outright. Remember, they didn't cancel the FLR-DUS deal - they just changed the routing on everyone's ticket to get rid of all the fun stuff, but they left the tickets / reservations in a really messed up state. Then when folks tried to get their refunds, they dragged their feet.

I'd expect AZ to rebook everyone in economy and to argue that this is a non-refundable economy ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer

I'd expect AZ to rebook everyone in economy and to argue that this is a non-refundable economy ticket.
I can’t see them doing that they’d be big time up the crapper for false advertisement.
paffendorf likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Lizie
Cancelled!

Message from Amex saying that it's been cancelled.

'Dear Lizie,

I hope this finds you well.

I just wanted to let you know that we have been unable to fulfill your recent booking -------- with Alitalia. Your reservation has been cancelled and your card will not be charged.

Warm Regards'
Avoid using AMEX travel with these deals. The NZ deal same deal with AMEX, message came back as we cant ticket as fare is not being honored. Those of us who used online travel agencies have active tickets.
Lizie likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Well I have been invoiced and ticketed by Amex

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.